Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clinton Portis is our third-down back?

Oldfan

What is this obsession with the correct use of the term "third-down back"? Who cares what the traditional term means as long as it's a back who is in on third down that can make a difference to converting for a first down...whether it be a playmaker who can catch the ball short and do something with it or a pass blocker.

I think Kyle Shanahan meant that on a 3rd and long situation, a back who can block well is probably preferred so that McNabb has more time to throw to a receiver down the field than a dump to a "third-down back" that can catch the ball and not convert for the 1st down. We currently have no one who has proven to be a playmaker so we might as well put in someone that's somewhat useful on third and long...a BLOCKER!

I don't feel the need to prove anything. I make my case for reasonable minds who are also football fans. The term "third-down back" would make no sense with any meaning other than as a RB whose primary task was to serve as another receiver on third and long.

The screen pass to Westbrook was Andy Reid's bread and butter call.

Mike Shanahan doesn't think a good third-down back is a minor item. He made a strong pitch for Westbrook who could have done the job well. I agree with Mike.

I'm a reasonable mind and a football fan, and if Portis is the 3rd down back, thats what Shanahan can call him.

The screen pass to Westbrook was in fact his best call, however, you didn't catch the multitude of times he missed Westbrook and other backs.

... it is premature to say that he is the third down back based off of the preseason games that Shanahan said going into would be played this way to gauge each RB with a fair comparison of reps.
Kyle say he thought Clinto could play as a third-down back ... and Clinton came in on third-and-long situations against the Ravens. So, right now, it looks like Clinton is the first option as a third-down back. So, that's what this thread is about.

What is this obsession with the correct use of the term "third-down back"? Who cares what the traditional term means as long as it's a back who is in on third down that can make a difference to converting for a first down...whether it be a playmaker who can catch the ball short and do something with it or a pass blocker.

I think Kyle Shanahan meant that on a 3rd and long situation, a back who can block well is probably preferred so that McNabb has more time to throw to a receiver down the field than a dump to a "third-down back" that can catch the ball and not convert for the 1st down. We currently have no one who has proven to be a playmaker so we might as well put in someone that's somewhat useful on third and long...a BLOCKER!

Do you think Mike pursued Westbrook as his third-down back because of Westbrook's superior blocking ability?

Do you think Mike pursued Westbrook as his third-down back because of Westbrook's superior blocking ability?

Do you think Mike is going to work with what he's got available? or pretend and put a player in a role they're not good in.

Portis can be a running back who's in on 3rd and long, without being the "3rd Down back" you guys seem to need to talk about.

WikiAnswers --- 'Third down back' is a term in football for a running back that comes into the game in passing situations. He is an excellent pass receiver that runs good routes. If the team is in a third down and long yardage situation they are almost always going to run a passing play.

Kyle say he thought Clinto could play as a third-down back ... and Clinton came in on third-and-long situations against the Ravens. So, right now, it looks like Clinton is the first option as a third-down back. So, that's what this thread is about.

:doh:

Ok, I probably should have read that. Now that makes more sense. I still think they are currently trying to see what they have and that it is premature to assume he will be the third down guy. I think they are definitely considering all the options and Clinton on third down might make the most sense. I trust the Shanahans as they see all these guys every day and watch the film.

Do you think Mike is going to work with what he's got available? or pretend and put a player in a role they're not good in.

Portis can be a running back who's in on 3rd and long, without being the "3rd Down back" you guys seem to need to talk about.

How is your question relevant to my point that Clinton Portis will not make a good third-down back as Kyle claimed?

If we assume Kyle knows what a third-down back is, then we have to question his expertise. Don't we?

Now, it's also possible that blocking, indeed, is the RB's primary responsibility in this Shanahan scheme. If that's the case, they should find a new term to use since "third-down back" misleads.

You think Kyle cares if the terms he uses is misleading to outsiders?

I don't care what they call it. As long as Kyle, the rest of the coaching staff and the team understand that the primary responsibilities of the "third-down back" in THIS scheme are to block, I could care less.

Did Westbrook ever come out on 3rd downs? I mean, you are wrong. If I'm OC, I'm not going to put in a 3rd down back just to block. A 3rd down back is a good pass catching back, which is why he would be in the game.

Did Westbrook ever come out on 3rd downs? I mean, you are wrong. If I'm OC, I'm not going to put in a 3rd down back just to block. A 3rd down back is a good pass catching back, which is why he would be in the game.

We seemed to do fine on 3rd and longs throwing to receivers against the Ravens, keeping a RB in to block.

Honestly the most asinine thread i have seen. You make up a definition for "third down back" and don't like that CP's primary use doesn't fit so you want Kyle Shannahan, a man who knows more about football than you ever will know to change the term he uses for the back that comes in on third down.

Clinton can catch and has for several years. he's a great blocker and a real threat on the draw play. He forces the defense to consider all the options and no commit to stopping any one.

You have spent five pages defending your post that is nothing but your assumptions of what a "third down back" should be, and a lot of grandstanding about how you are "right".

Quote me. What did I write that causes you to think that I'm saying that I know more about the offensive scheme than Kyle?
To me, Kyle's comment raised two equally ridiculous possibilities. Ether Kyle Shanahan is not aware that a third-down back's primarily functions as a pass receiver or Kyle has never seen Clinton function as a pass receiver with real bullets flying.

You made it sound like he might not know what he's doing in this quote. Maybe that's not what you intended, but it sounds like it.

Honestly the most asinine thread i have seen. You make up a definition for "third down back" and don't like that CP's primary use doesn't fit so you want Kyle Shannahan, a man who knows more about football than you ever will know to change the term he uses for the back that comes in on third down.

Clinton can catch and has for several years. he's a great blocker and a real threat on the draw play. He forces the defense to consider all the options and no commit to stopping any one.

You have spent five pages defending your post that is nothing but your assumptions of what a "third down back" should be, and a lot of grandstanding about how you are "right".

Dude, WTF is wrong with you? Did you start watching football last night? A 3rd down back is not something new. Clinton is not a good pass catching RB. Shanahan likes to use the screen pass, if you have been paying any attention. Williams and Torian do a better job at it.

If we assume Kyle knows what a third-down back is, then we have to question his expertise. Don't we?

:ols:

Who said Oldfan didn't have an agenda, again? It's so obvious that he'll create a thread built on semantics to try to question the expertise of someone who many around the league consider one of the best young offensive minds in the game who also spearheaded the top passing offense last year.

But he doesn't use the term third down back correctly because I say so! What an awful hire!

:excited:

Dude, WTF is wrong with you? Did you start watching football last night? A 3rd down back is not something new. Clinton is not a good pass catching RB. Shanahan likes to use the screen pass, if you have been paying any attention. Williams and Torian do a better job at it.

Oh i am sorry i must have been typing above your level. let me slow things down so you can grasp the concept i am talking about here. There. . . are . . . different. . .kinds. . . of. . . third. . .down . . .back. I know there are some 5 letter word in there that are probably too much for you. Tony Richards was used a lot on thirds and he didn't ruin great routes, same with Tom Rathman. They caught passes because after the blocked they just faded back and caught dump off passes. same thing Clinton will do and for the same reason. The difference is he is a better runner. Clinton also played third in Denver and large percentage of the time.

I've been playing, coaching and following football all my life and believe me buddy the averages say i am a hell of a lot smarter than you, so before you get all condescending to someone try real hard to at least have a couple neurons fire and think about the fact things may not be the way you see them. I mean hell you're knocking a guy who has caught over 30 pass in a year 5 times in his career as not being good enough in combination with his other skill to play on thirds. How long have YOU been watching football?? I'll go ahead and assume watch is all you ever did.

p.s. bite me.

The possibility that you're right -- that Clinton is our best option as a third-down back-- is hard to believe. If true, I think the Shanahans need to get innovative and come up with something different on third-and-long situations.

It's not all that hard to believe, considering it's exactly what's on the table right now. Portis is the 3rd down back because he's the best and most reliable option currently on the roster.

It's not all that hard to believe, considering it's exactly what's on the table right now. Portis is the 3rd down back because he's the best and most reliable option currently on the roster.

If Portis is the 3rd down back, then who is the primary back?

If Portis is the 3rd down back, then who is the primary back?

Portis is the primary back. He's an every down back. I say that though with full knowledge that the other backs will be filtered in around him to keep him fresh.

I'm sure there will be times when Torain or Parker is in there on 3rd and long. Or Larry Johnson on 3rd and short. I'm sure there will be times when Shanahan subs someone in and sticks with them if the show they have a hot hand.

But Portis is the best every down option on the team.

Archived