Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wide Receiver Breakdown:

mhenry41h

Devin Thomas is making this team and is our best hope for a superstar WR for the future. Yes he has been inconsistent, but he is extremely talented with the ball in his hands. He needs to work on his possession receiving so he makes that catch on a low throw at the sticks on 3rd and 7 but this guy can be an animal in space (remember the Saints game?) I really think things will click this year and he will be the starter we need. BTW he's got solid size, unlike any healthy WR on this team.

1 Moss

2 Thomas

3 Williams

4 Galloway

5 Armstrong

ST Austin

Practice Squad Banks

Pretty crappy squad if you ask me. Here's hoping Cooley and Moss continue to have success in the regular season.

Crappy squad, huh? Kyle Shanahan definitely can move the ball in the air with these guys and proved it. What games have you been watching? And for the last time, Banks will not be going to the practice squad. Banks will make the team. How long do you think Banks will last on the Practice Squad? Austin over Banks for ST? Don't think so.

I agree, Galloway makes the team

But what about blocking? He's not just a poor blocker, he's a zero blocker.

LOL!!! So, the Skins will cut him because he can't block? WOW!!

And on that fake punt it was the same deal. Everyone focused on HB missing the tackle, but Banks was in great position also and didn't even try to make the tackle (because at his size he would have just been run over anyway). Essentially on that play we were playing with 10 players. Even our kickers can probably tackle and block better than Banks.

I think you are trying to find reasons why Banks shouldn't make the team. Its hilarious. You expect Banks too make that tackle. And yeah, Blades missed the tackle and thats on him.

Banks is awesome to watch, and I really want to see him on the team from a "fan" point of view, but I think there's a big catch there when teams actually start to game plan against him.

Well, the Ravens went for the fake punt because of Banks. And thats right of the Ravens HC mouth. So, already he is making an impact.

Yeah, Banks is 150lbs., not the best blocker. There are WR's bigger than he is that don't block. The point is that he is a weapon. KR/PR game has sucked around here for a long time. In 2 preseason games, he has more return yards than ARE had for the entire 2009 season. Now that is ridiculous.

the only reason Thomas is ranked at #2 is because of his draft position in 2008.

there is nothing objective to use in placing him that high on the roster.

if you were looking at him for the first time this preseason and were told he was a #7 pick and Armstrong was a #3 pick, you would put Armstrong in the #2 slot and say that Thomas has been inconsistent and may have trouble making the final roster.

Too many of you guys buy into draft position and pre-draft rating in continuing to overvalue players YEARS after those picks were made. And in this case made by a GM that was fired in disgrace.

I agree, but if he was an UFA I would be very high on him making the team because of his special teams play and potential. I think his draft position makes people overrate him, but on the flip side, people have higher expectations and are more disappointed when he doesn't fulfill them.

Imagine if we had a 23 year old undrafted receiver who's shown to be a pretty damn good kickoff returner, solid contributor as a special teams coverage man, a good blocker away from the ball, but has shown an combination of raw ability and mental lapses at the receiver position. We'd probably be pretty high on him as a great special teams contributor and hope he could eventually develop into a great receiver, if not at least he's pretty damn good on special teams.

What if Lorenzo Alexander was a 2nd or 3rd round pick? There would probably be a lot of posters claiming he's been here several years, we've tried him at many positions, but he's been unspectacular at each of them. When in reality he's a solid role player for this team that has a chance to develop into a starting player on defense.

I'd say the same thing about Thomas, he's been a solid role player on this team and has a good upside as a receiver. Do we expect more from his draft position? Absolutely, but he is certainly contributing in other ways and thus, has a solid spot on the roster.

Roydell has been out of football for 2 years. He needs too play. Galloway on the other hand, still has it. Probably the fastest guy on the team. No need to show what he can do.

I don't know that Galloway still has it. He may still be straightline fast, but that doesn't mean he's quick getting in and out of his breaks. The only time we've seen him open all preseason was on a go route that was over thrown. Do you think that the reason we haven't seen any other balls go his way is because he's not open? Maybe corners are having no problems staying with a 38 year old receiver out of breaks and he's not creating separation? It's quite possible he's got plenty of straighline speed left but lacks the agility to get open on shorter routes.

He needs to produce just like any of the other guys to make this team. I see no reason to keep a guy that has made zero plays in the preseason when he's unlikely to be able to play beyond this year anyway. Especially if keeling him comes at the expense of getting rid of a young guy with talent like Banks, Austin, or even Kelly.

Too many of you guys buy into draft position and pre-draft rating in continuing to overvalue players YEARS after those picks were made. And in this case made by a GM that was fired in disgrace.

The Rams could have taken Thomas but took Avent instead. The Eagles could have taken Thomas but passed.

I'd say too many guys are buying into what they see in the preseason.

If ES members had it our way, the Skins would have Colt Brennan throwing passes to Marko Mitchell and handing off to Marcus Mason. :ols:

(1) Moss - Ace in the hole

(2) Armstrong - Donald Driver clone, will get better and better

(3) Williams - dependable

(4) Thomas - has ability but still hasn't pulled his head out

(5) Austin - good route runner and hands (Kickoff Returner)

(6) Banks - really good when he goes in motion (Punt Returner)

Say goodbye to:

Kelly - can't get separation or stay healthy

Hodge - has shown nothing

Galloway - has not caught one pass yet, injury prone and too old

Wade - good possession receiver, but no thanks

From the link to the Miami Dolphins msg board it said Armstrong ran a 4.28 40?..How fast is this guy really...does anyone know? (If he has that kind of speed we gotta keep him)

It might come from this interview:

http://tinsfins.blogspot.com/2009/07/anthony-armstrong-exclusive-interview.html

AA: I grew up in the Dallas area in Carrollton. I did play peewee football, and didn’t do track until high school. I think my fastest 100m was a 10.6 or 10.7, nothing special, especially since there are guys that run 10.3 and don’t make it to state. My fastest 40 that I have heard was in the mid 4.2 range. I'm sure folks would run faster if they had a direct competitor, but then that would take away a true reading of their speed. Me and Ted haven't raced. LOL I am an old guy so I like to keep my unnecessary sprints to a minimum!

Can't believe so many people are in favor of Roydell Williams. He did nothing his first two years, and was injured all of last year. And I'm hearing that he's reliable, dependable, etc. so we should favor him over Thomas and Kelly? Ummm, what?

Devin Thomas showed more in his first two years than Williams did, and Kelly is "always injured", but he played every game last year, unlike Wiliams, who played zero. :ols:

If Williams gets the nod over either of these guys I'm gonna be upset.

Well, to clarify,, I'm not really comparing Armstrong to Jackson, he hasn't proven anything. What I am saying is that Donovan seems to be developing rapport with him, he goes to him a lot, including in tight situations. I think he likes the kid, and that is where my comparison comes in. McNabb hasn't got any time in with any of these guys, and his trust level of Armstrong seems to be growing.

Other than that, I agree with everything you've said.

~Bang

Ok, then. Glad to know we are on the same page!

Can't believe so many people are in favor of Roydell Williams. He did nothing his first two years, and was injured all of last year. And I'm hearing that he's reliable, dependable, etc. so we should favor him over Thomas and Kelly? Ummm, what?

Devin Thomas showed more in his first two years than Williams did, and Kelly is "always injured", but he played every game last year, unlike Wiliams, who played zero. :ols:

If Williams gets the nod over either of these guys I'm gonna be upset.

What? Williams was a full year starter and leading receiver on an NFL playoff team. That year he caught more passes than Thomas and Kelly have combined in their NFL careers.

Since Shanny said this:

"I've watched Joey catch a lot of balls in games throughout his career," Shanahan said. "He's come in here and did a great job in OTAs. We've had him obviously in camp here, evaluate him a lot. Pretty good shape.

"I wanted to get some of the guys that I really haven't been able to evaluate, some of the younger guys and see how they do in game situations. I think I know how Joey has handled himself for a lot of years, playing in games."

Does this mean Galloway is a lock to make the roster regardless of what he shows in preseason?

Cool down on the Armstrong stuff, guys. Remember Marko? Remember Marcus? It is the preseason. Of course I am impressed with him as well, but just keep in mind that the guy is 27 and was not able to stay on with an AFL team. There is no way that the guy can start in this league.

Marko was impressive when he came into the game in the 2nd half, Armstrong is impressive coming in with the starters.

I can't believe Kelly still can't practice. He's not playing this week and who knows when he will play.

The guy is gone unless he plays like a HoFer in the last game, and even then he might be gone. I really don't see him sticking with the team when he hasn't made a single preseason practice or game.

Hopefully he can play this next week.

On the other side, it sounds like Galloway is gauranteed, Moss, Armstrong, and beyond that I'm not sure.

Moss, Galloway, Armstrong, Thomas, Banks, and one more.

What? Williams was a full year starter and leading receiver on an NFL playoff team. That year he caught more passes than Thomas and Kelly have combined in their NFL careers.

His best year was his 3rd, where he led the Titans with a whopping 700 yards receiveing with 4 TDs. As I said, he did almost nothing in his first 2 years. Less than Devin Thomas, and just barely more than Malcolm Kelly. And no, he did not catch more passes in 2007 than Thomas and Kelly combined in their careers.

In other words, in his best year, he was about as productive as Antwaan Randle El, who everyone here hated.

So how did Thomas and Kelly do in their 3rd years?

Oh wait, they haven't played them yet.

I can't believe Kelly still can't practice. He's not playing this week and who knows when he will play.

The guy is gone unless he plays like a HoFer in the last game, and even then he might be gone. I really don't see him sticking with the team when he hasn't made a single preseason practice or game.

Hopefully he can play this next week.

On the other side, it sounds like Galloway is gauranteed, Moss, Armstrong, and beyond that I'm not sure.

Moss, Galloway, Armstrong, Thomas, Banks, and one more.

As it pertains to Kelly, I don't see how you can keep a guy that hasn't practiced and hasn't played, coupled with his lack of a track record of productivity. Any WR that gets cut in favor of keeping Malcolm Kelly should just hang it up.

Since Shanny said this:

"I've watched Joey catch a lot of balls in games throughout his career," Shanahan said. "He's come in here and did a great job in OTAs. We've had him obviously in camp here, evaluate him a lot. Pretty good shape.

"I wanted to get some of the guys that I really haven't been able to evaluate, some of the younger guys and see how they do in game situations. I think I know how Joey has handled himself for a lot of years, playing in games."

Does this mean Galloway is a lock to make the roster regardless of what he shows in preseason?

No, IMO it means that Shanahan already knows what level Galloway is on. If young guys play well, they will will pass him and make the team. If not enough guys surpass the Galloway bar, then he'll make the team. That being said, my money is on him making the team.

As it pertains to Kelly, I don't see how you can keep a guy that hasn't practiced and hasn't played, coupled with his lack of a track record of productivity. Any WR that gets cut in favor of keeping Malcolm Kelly should just hang it up.

But we have to take into account that Shanahan has a pretty good history of developing receivers. If Shanahan thinks that he can develop Kelly into an elite possession receiver then he keeps him, regardless of past production, or lack thereof. No other receiver on our team has the attributes to be that Ed McCaffery type possesion receiver that Shanny had on his Super Bowl teams.

I think Kelly would be on the outside looking in if the young receivers who happen to be producing had some size, but they're the second coming of the smurfs. Shanny is probably praying that Kelly can get healthy and contribute because he's used to having at least one big WR target in his offense.

i think we still pick up another WR before the season starts. Isn't Ashley Lelie floating around out there in FA? He was a Shanahan draft pick. Armstrong has had a great preseason but he is third or fourth best on the depth chart. We need a tall WR to compliment Moss.

I think people aren't taking into account the two teams that Armstrong was in against. You couldn't have two more inury riddled secondaries than the Ravens and Bills, both decimated by injuries.

Fair enough. But why didn't any of the other receivers look as good then?

His best year was his 3rd, where he led the Titans with a whopping 700 yards receiveing with 4 TDs. As I said, he did almost nothing in his first 2 years. Less than Devin Thomas, and just barely more than Malcolm Kelly. And no, he did not catch more passes in 2007 than Thomas and Kelly combined in their careers.

In other words, in his best year, he was about as productive as Antwaan Randle El, who everyone here hated.

So how did Thomas and Kelly do in their 3rd years?

Oh wait, they haven't played them yet.

So far, this year [only two ps games] he looks better than everyone except Moss and Armstrong.

Archived