Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wide Receiver Breakdown:

mhenry41h

Im curious as to your thoughts:

1) Santana Moss - Easily has the most chemistry with Donovan regarding the wideouts. I think Moss is a DeSean Jackson type player and this will resonate well with Donovan. Impressive so far.

2) Anthony Armstrong - Is there any doubt that he is currently the other starting wide receiver? Who exactly would Shannahan(s) place ahead of him at this point. I am QUITE impressed with this kid. If Donovan didn't underthrow him by 10 yards on the long bomb, he walked in to the endzone with another TD vs the Ravens.

3) Devin Thomas - I understand that he is buried on the depth chart, but I get the feeling it is a ploy to get the most out of him. Lets face the reality, who else, sans Armstrong and Moss, have earned the right to be ahead of him?

4) Brandon Banks - Wow! Love the speed and agility. Im not saying that he is the 4th best WR at this point, but I am ranking him there due to his special teams ability. Lets face it, the kid is making the roster due to dynamic ability and special teams prowess. I also wouldnt mind seeing a few offensive plays taylored to his size/speed during the games.

5) Joey Galloway - I doubt I would place him above Kelly at this point if he was actually practicing and/or playing. Galloway has been an after thought thus far, but his experience earns him a roster spot in my mind.

6) Terrance Austin - Lets keep this young chap for his upside at the last WR roster position. Bring him along and see what he has in the tank.

So who gets cut then:

Malcolm Kelly - I dont care how much upside he has, he never gets on the field. I have given up at this point. I like the kid and I love his size and hands...but lets face the reality...He ALWAYS going to be hurt.

Shay Hodge - I just dont see it happening right now

Bobby Wade - One aged receiver is enough of a locker rom presence in Galloway

Roydell Williams - Same as Wade, Galloway is enough, the young guys I want to keep are too dynamic to waive.

:dallasuck

I personally don't think Austin makes the team if Banks does. There are only so many smaller WR we can keep.

1. Tanaman

2a. Devin Thomas

2b. Armstrong

4. Galloway

5. MK

6 / Return guy - Banks

And I could see Banks get some reverses and stuff during the game. He will get touches.

My personal opinion of course.

I agree with OP on the lineup so far...

however, I just get the feeling that Armstrong will not get the shot he deserves... kind of a Marko Mitchell deal....

I just dont know how he cannot get an opportunity to be 2nd or at least 3rd WR... McNabb obviously trusts him and what he did Saturday was against 1st team D for the most part.... and he would have had another TD on top of it.... kid looks promising...just hope he gets a sot

I just get the feeling that Armstrong will not get the shot he deserves... kind of a Marko Mitchell deal....

The difference is that Mitchell looked great late in preseason games against back ups. Armstrong has been looking very good early and against starters. He appears to be the real deal.

I still fail to see even the purpose of having Joey Galloway on the roster. Friday vs The Jets might give us a window into the actual depth chart. IMO...... Santana & Thomas should start with Armstrong in the slot on the 3 WR set.

I have given up on Malcom Kelly as well.

Cool down on the Armstrong stuff, guys. Remember Marko? Remember Marcus? It is the preseason. Of course I am impressed with him as well, but just keep in mind that the guy is 27 and was not able to stay on with an AFL team. There is no way that the guy can start in this league.

I think comparing Marko's success to Armstrong's is comparing apples-to-oranges in many respects. Marko was running against the opponents' dogs while Armstrong has been producing against #1's. In many ways, I fully expect Devin to "take the bull by the horns," yet I keep looking at Armstrong's chemistry with Dmac5. Lets face the facts, when McNabb has been throwing to Cooley, Moss, and Armstrong...the passess appear to be much more on the money. His passes to the other guys always seem to be behind them or underthrown or something. I tend to believe this is more a product of not having chemistry. We will be queing up a new offense and Shannahan must go with the guys Donovan works best with.

Lets face the facts, when McNabb has been throwing to Cooley, Moss, and Armstrong...the passess appear to be much more on the money. His passes to the other guys always seem to be behind them or underthrown or something.

Not exactly facts. McNabb has thrown several passes to Armstrong that were either behind him or underthrown. Armstrong just still found a way to make the catch.

I personally don't think Austin makes the team if Banks does. There are only so many smaller WR we can keep.

1. Tanaman

2a. Devin Thomas

2b. Armstrong

4. Galloway

5. MK

6 / Return guy - Banks

And I could see Banks get some reverses and stuff during the game. He will get touches.

My personal opinion of course.

What he said ;) Winner Winner!

I still fail to see even the purpose of having Joey Galloway on the roster. Friday vs The Jets might give us a window into the actual depth chart. IMO...... Santana & Thomas should start with Armstrong in the slot on the 3 WR set.

I have given up on Malcom Kelly as well.

Teaching is why Galloway is here. Experience to drive the young players.

Armstrong, not only does he look "good" against starters. (preseason), but most importantly, McNabb has been looking for him. I think HE gives him the deSean Jackson type receiver he's been successful with, and I really want to see them work on timing.

The bomb Armstrong caught in the first qtr Saturday was underthrown by five yards, he had those two BURNED for a TD.. and later in the half he was once again 5 steps past everyone and McNabb overshot him.

Once they get synched up, that could be nice to see.

I thought Moss' work in the crossing routes was impressive vs Baltimore, he was wide open several times and had excellent YAC.

I think that the position still has question marks, but I am starting to see that they might be answered.

And I tell you,, I think most of it has to do with the fact there's a veteran QB back there who can slip the rush, buy time, step up and find the open man. Several times Sat. I flinched because I flashed back to the last few years where outside rushers got sacks, fumbles and TDs. To see OUR quarterback slide a shuffle step and move up and away from pressure is like a breath of fresh air after having been in a burning building..

~Bang

I wasn't that disappointed in our WRs against the Ravens as the separation was pretty good. Obviously the catching was poor, but that can be worked on. I'm particularly not worried because the guys who were dropping balls are normally safe hands so I don't see it being a long term problem.

1 Moss

2 Thomas

3 Williams

4 Galloway

5 Armstrong

ST Austin

Practice Squad Banks

Pretty crappy squad if you ask me. Here's hoping Cooley and Moss continue to have success in the regular season.

Signing Banks to the Practice Squad is as good as cutting him. He returned a punt for a TD. He's guaranteed a roster spot somewhere, even if not here.

Archived