Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Proven Coach, GM & Starting QB

TimmySmith

I was thinking about the Skins current braintrust and it got me to thinking, when was the last time the Skins had a proven Coach, GM & Starting QB to start a season? The most recent debatable year is 1992 with Gibbs, Casserly and Rypien. In 1993 Gibbs was gone and Rypien was going through a horrible year.

The time before that was 1982 with Gibbs, Theismann and Beathard. That trio lasted for the next 3 years.

By my math, before this year the Skins have entered the season with proven quantities at HC, GM & QB exactly 4 years out of the last 30.

The only proven tiro right now in the NFL is the Patriots. The trio we have are not proven to work together yet. This is pre-mature thread, though I am hopeful they can work together but there are questions to be answered that can only be answered on the Football field.

I'm not sure I can buy Turner as a "proven" coach in 1999. If memory servers, 1998 wasn't that good. Brad Johnson was ok, but nothing spectacular. And Casserly, well, he was probably the best of the bunch.

And I'm not sure that I would give you Gibbs as "proven" in 1982. 1st year head coach, QB who had to field punts to stay on the field, and an 8-8 season 1 year previous. Sure, they ended well, but were Gibbs and JT "proven" winners? I don't think so.

Otherwise, your logic is sound. Though the combination of Turner and Fre-rotte made the FedEx protective walls tremble.

Is Bruce Allen really a "proven" GM? Remember, he got to Tampa after they won a Super Bowl. Sure, he helped them out of some serious salary cap issues down there, and they quickly rebounded to be a contender again, but he didn't really find a Tom Brady in the 6th round or anything amazing like that. He seems like a smart guy and I hope he does well here, but I don't know if I'd call him "proven" just yet.

I was thinking about the Skins current braintrust and it got me to thinking, when was the last time the Skins had a proven Coach, GM & Starting QB to start a season? The most recent debatable year is 1992 with Gibbs, Casserly and Rypien. In 1993 Gibbs was gone and Rypien was going through a horrible year.

The time before that was 1982 with Gibbs, Theismann and Beathard. That trio lasted for the next 3 years.

By my math, before this year the Skins have entered the season with proven quantities at HC, GM & QB exactly 4 years out of the last 30.

Well, we all had a lot of hope for the Gibbs, Gibbs (also the GM, not so much in title, but in role), and Brunell combo platter in 2004-06, and that was definitely a mixed bag.

I'm not sure I can buy Turner as a "proven" coach in 1999. If memory servers, 1998 wasn't that good. Brad Johnson was ok, but nothing spectacular. And Casserly, well, he was probably the best of the bunch.

Yeah, it was a stretch...but it was the closest thing we've had since Gibbs left in 1993. At least Turner was a successful coordinator who had been a head coach for several years (with marginal success...winning seasons).

Well if you want to be technical, I'd say it's 1983 that the Skins were "proven" at the GM, Coach and QB positions and not 1982.

Beathard/Gibbs/Theismann hadn't really won anything at that point at the beginning of the 82 season.

I also am not so sure how "proven" Allen really is, at least in comparison to Shanahan and McNabb.

But here's to hoping.

Allen -- proven salary cap expert and negotiator

McNabb -- once very good, but how much is left in the tank?

Shanahan -- promoted to Broncos VP in 1999, he brings the same front office structure to the Redskins, the structure which produced one playoff win in ten years and got him fired after the 2008 season.

You could make the argument that we had this trio going into the 1999 season: Casserly, Turner, and Johnson.

However, Casserly was soon fired and Turner is a marginal "proven" head coach. Even though it barely (or doesn't) qualify, that team won the division and was a FG away from playing in the NFC Championship game.

I would totally agree that 1999 was the last time the combination was present.

What I am excited about as much as the Allen Shanny and McNabb combo is the proven coordinators under the HC as well. I think Kyle S and Haslett make a great team.

It should be a good ride, hopefully egos will stay out of the way and the executives, staff & team stay focused and humble. If so many years of winning football will follow.

I'm not sure I can buy Turner as a "proven" coach in 1999.

Blah! I remember the Turner years b/c of FOULS. No discipline in '99. A fist fight. Our QB headbutts a concrete wall. A shanked snap. God. Plz don't ever put Turner's name up with Gibbs. Ever.

I was thinking about the Skins current braintrust

I think there's a few of us feeling it, remembering back to those glory years. Thinking, hmmm could it be. This Dallas game, we'll see were we're at as a football team. God willing, were back. Looks like we have all the pieces in place.

The only proven tiro right now in the NFL is the Patriots. The trio we have are not proven to work together yet. This is pre-mature thread, though I am hopeful they can work together but there are questions to be answered that can only be answered on the Football field.

exactly what i was thinking especially given the performance of mcnabb in camp thus far

exactly what i was thinking especially given the performance of mcnabb in camp thus far

I wouldn't be too worried about McNabb. He's a notoriously bad practice player. He'll have a day where he's on fire, then he'll play terrible for another. The only thing that will matter is the actual games when he's QBing for us

Patriots GM left and went to the Chiefs. They have no "proven" GM that I know of. They only have a duo.

Archived