Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI.com: Joe Posanski's 32 Greatest RBs of All-Time

MattFancy

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2010/08/08/thirty-two-great-running-backs/?eref=sihp

1. Jim Brown

The best there ever was or ever will be. I am required by place of birth to believe it, and I do believe it with all my heart. The ultimate combination of power, speed and, mostly, will. Led the league in rushing every year but one.

2. Walter Payton

Emmitt Smith’s hero… he ran the ball, caught the ball, threw the ball and blocked with fury.

3. Emmitt Smith

Didn’t block like Payton, which is why he’s third… but did not really have much need to block.

4. Barry Sanders

Most exciting running back in the history of the NFL.

5. Earl Campbell

Was only truly great for three seasons… but those happened to be the three years when I fell in love with professional football. Of all the football players I’ve ever watched, Earl Campbell is the one who leaves me in awe.

6. Marshall Faulk

Another player everyone remembers being great, but I think was even greater. Was in many ways one of a kind — a receiver who played running back, and a running back who played receiver. Charley Taylor was like that, so was Bobby Mitchell, Lenny Moore… but Faulk blended the talents in a way that I think was unique. His single-season record for most yards from scrimmage was broken last year by Chris Johnson.

7. O.J. Simpson

Power, speed, moves and 2,003 yards in 14 games.

8. Gale Sayers

The most graceful running back in NFL history.

9. Bo Jackson

I was trying to think how high I could legitimately put a player who got only 515 carries in the NFL. This is probably too high. But it’s my list. In those 515 carries, Bo Jackson had a 92-yard run, a 91-yard run, an 88-yard run, a 73-yard run, a 62-yard run and a 55-yard run. He averaged 5.4 yards per carry. There was never, in the history of the NFL, a player with his combination of speed, power, speed, force, speed and speed. Injuries wreck running backs — part of greatness is staying healthy long enough to achieve. But I have no doubt in my mind that had Jackson stayed healthy, he would have been the greatest running back ever. He already was in Super Tecmo Bowl.

10. Red Grange

Basically invented pro football with his running talents.

11. Eric Dickerson

Twenty-six years later, and still his 2,105 yards in a season is the record. As coaches often said, he didn’t look fast… but nobody ever caught him from behind.

12. Marion Motley

Led the NFL in rushing in 1950 while wearing No. 76 — which says just about all you need to say. One of the most important players in NFL history, and one of the best. Would be a great book, I think. Averaged 5.7 yards per carry in his career.

13. LaDainian Tomlinson

Touchdown machine who led the league in rushing twice and once caught 100 passes in a season.

14. Bronko Nagurski

I think he basically invented a brand of power running that would later serve John Riggins, Larry Csonka, Jerome Bettis and others very well.

15. Terrell Davis

The best running backs tend to be shooting stars who are extraordinary for three or four or five years before being ground into dust. It’s the peril of the position. From 1995 through ’98, Terrell Davis was about as good as any running back ever. I don’t have much feel for the football Hall of Fame, but my gut instinct is that Davis — even though those four years are essentially his entire career — belongs there.

16. Thurman Thomas

Led the league in yards from scrimmage four straight years… he was one of the most versatile running backs in NFL history.

17. Franco Harris

I have mixed emotions about Franco. He has been called overrated so many times by so many people that it’s hard not to let that affect your thinking. He DID run out of bounds a lot. But he also was the running force behind four Pittsburgh Steelers championships, he made perhaps the most famous play in NFL history, he ran for 1,000 yards eight times, he scored four Super Bowl touchdowns. So overrated he’s underrated?

18. Tony Dorsett

Did you know that Dorsett never led the league in rushing? He only finished in the Top 5 three times — and one of those was in the strike year. He was first-team All-Pro once. But for many years when you asked any running back in the NFL who was their favorite player as a kid, it was ALWAYS Dorsett.

19. Marcus Allen

It’s amazing that after Allen led the NFL with 1,759 yards rushing in 1985 that he never again got even 225 carries in a season. I got to watch him at the end, when he was basically the designated touchdown scorer for Marty Schottenheimer’s Kansas City Chiefs… few could dive over the top like Allen.

20. Lenny Moore

More receiver than running back, but three times in his career he averaged more than 7 yards per carry. Dazzling and beautiful runner, who twice led the NFL in touchdowns.

21. Priest Holmes

Well, of course, my old chess partner is on my list. But I would challenge you to find a running back who was any better than Holmes from 2001 through 2003. Had more than 2,000 yards from scrimmage all three years, set the NFL record for touchdowns (since broken), and his 2002 season, had he not gotten hurt against Denver in the 14th game, would have been, I feel certain, the best season a running back has ever had in NFL history. He ran for 1,615 yards in 13 1/2 games, averaged 5.2 yards per carry, caught 70 passes, scored 24 touchdowns.

22. Jim Taylor

Vince Lombardi: “What we want to get is a seal here and seal here, and run the ball in the alley.”

23. Larry Csonka

“I hated playing those Dolphins,” one NFL Hall of Famer told me once. “You would be fighting and fighting and then, fourth quarter, here comes that damned Larry Csonka.”

24. Chris Johnson

It’s too soon to put him here… but this is my list. To me, Chris Johnson is the fastest running back I’ve seen on a football field since Bo Jackson.

25. Joe Perry

Fast enough that they called him “The Jet,” even though he played fullback. He’s the first NFL player to go over 1,000 yards two straight seasons — and he did it in the 12-game days.

26. Ollie Matson

Electrifying runner… all you really need to know about Matson is that he scored NINE kick- and punt-return return touchdowns between 1952 and 1958. In those six years (he missed 1953 while serving in the military), he had 16 touchdowns that covered 60 yards or more.

27. Hugh McElhenny

The called him “The King,” and few players in NFL history made as many dazzling runs.

28. Steve Van Buren

Another great book. He was a power back who was born in Honduras, and was sent to New Orleans to live with his grandparents. He led the NFL in rushing four times in five years and led Philadelphia to back-to-back NFL championships in 1948 and ’49.

29. Edgerrin James

Famously taken before Heisman Trophy winner Ricky Williams in the draft, and promptly led the league in rushing his first two seasons, then dealt with injuries, then had back-to-back 1,500-yard rushing seasons for terrific Colts teams in the mid-2000s. Versatile player who could catch and block as well.

30. Curtis Martin

Would it stun you if I told you that Curtis Martin is fourth all-time in rushing? Stunned the heck out of me. But Martin really was a terrific back who ran for 1,200 or so yards every year, caught the ball, scored 10 or so touchdowns. He ran for 1,000-plus yards 10 times — only Emmitt Smith did it more.

31. Leroy Kelly

Was a great punt returner who was given the job as Cleveland Browns running back when Jim Brown suddenly retired. He led the NFL in rushing two of the next three seasons and in touchdowns all three years. .

32. Frank Gifford

Was so versatile that it’s hard to call him a running back. He spent much of his career as a flanker, receiver, and even when he was technically a halfback he was still as much a threat catching the ball as anything else. And he WANTED to be a quarterback. Still, he was a truly great runner who still insists to this day that he picked up the first down that would have put away the legendary 1958 NFL Championship Game.

Debate away...

1. Barry Sanders

2. Walter Payton

3. Jim Brown

4. Earl Campbell

5. Emmit Smith

I think Emmitt is severely overrated as a RB. The reason I say that is because the majority of his OL were starters in the Pro-Bowl year in and out. Personally, I think Erik Dickerson and Marshal Faulk had more talent than he did, but neither played with the type of OL that Emmitt has been so lucky to have.

Even Emmitt acknowledges that Barry Sanders was a better back, and would have shattered the yardage list had he not retired in his prime.

Gale Sayers was just running water, pure and simple.

I cant debate to much with the list. Its always going to be speculation, but the guy rounds out the runners with their era and their style, so its hard to argue.

You cant lump the power runners with the scat backs and the fluid runners or the runners who were up against some of the best defenses the league has saw.

You didnt have the same safety rules and you didnt have the intense PC related rules you ever saw. But you saw power and you held your breathe with every play.

Jim Brown noted Emmitt would have been good regardless of era, but i disagree and I think he said that to be classy and understand records are going to be broken, but what he did on the field was amazing year in and year out.

Barry vs Emmitt, well a guy who gave up vs a guy who stayed in, who do you root for really. I dont know the true reason why Barry left and i dont begrudge him. Also Emmitt had a better line.

Walter Payton is walter payton, stats will NEVER do him justice, the end.

Personally I dont think LT is in league with many of these guys, but thats just me.

Haven't really followed RBs a lot, but it's WAY too early to put Chris Johnson up there.

with the way it is now a days, i agree, 1 good injury can set him back for a long time.

RB by committe has taken over and it showed last year. I also feel you can draft RBs easier now a days and they dont have a long shelf life. Tho thats just me talking not facts.

with the way it is now a days, i agree, 1 good injury can set him back for a long time.

RB by committe has taken over and it showed last year. I also feel you can draft RBs easier now a days and they dont have a long shelf life. Tho thats just me talking not facts.

I agree with that. How many RBs that are playing now have been drafted in the 2nd round or later?

Disagree that Dickerson was never caught from behind. #28 would have something to say about that.

0:35 in...

a9Hy5NJyqYg

"There are fast guys, and then there are fast guys, and then there are fast guys who can play football, and then there fast guys that can't."

I dont understand the love for Marshall Faulk. I loved him as a fantasy back but never thought he deserved to be in a top 10 of best RB's of all time list under any circumstances. Really don't get this hall of fame talk recently either. He's good, but what's special about him to make him a top 5 of all time RB list?

I dont understand the love for Marshall Faulk. I loved him as a fantasy back but never thought he deserved to be in a top 10 of best RB's of all time list under any circumstances. Really don't get this hall of fame talk recently either. He's good, but what's special about him to make him a top 5 of all time RB list?

He was a great receiver, could block, he could pretty much do everything you could ask for in a back.

He was a great receiver, could block, he could pretty much do everything you could ask for in a back.

I agree to a point but my problem is he was only good for a short amount of time. He was amazing for 4 years, average for the rest of his career. Between 1998 and 2001 he was living a hall of fame career and the best player in the league hands down. No one can argue he wasn't amazing for a short amount of time. But 4 years doesn't make a Hall of Fame career does it? After 2001 he didn't ever have 1000 yards again and retired in 2007. He was drafted in 1994 by the Colts who in 1998 traded him to the Rams. Who trades away a hall of fame worthy RB in the prime of his career? I just don't see it with this guy. 4 years doesn't make a hall of fame career, imo and I don't understand why people want to cheapen the Hall of Fame by putting him in there.

I agree that Faulk is a bit overrated. 12 seasons, only 7 1000yd seasons.

Faulk's career numbers: 12,279yds (7 1,000yd seasons) 100TDs 4.3ypc 6,875rec yds 36TDs (12 seasons)

Portis' career numbers: 9,696yds (6 1,000yd seasons) 73 TDs 4.5ypc 1,963rec yds 5TDs (8 seasons)

And also, keep in my CP has had 2 seasons where he only played 8 games because of injury. Yes Portis isn't the receiver that Faulk was, but their rushing stats are that far apart consider CP has played 4 less seasons.

Faulk was amazing from 99-01. But before that I didn't know much about him and after that he didn't do much else.

I agree that Faulk is a bit overrated. 12 seasons, only 7 1000yd seasons.

Faulk's career numbers: 12,279yds (7 1,000yd seasons) 100TDs 4.3ypc 6,875rec yds 36TDs (12 seasons)

Portis' career numbers: 9,696yds (6 1,000yd seasons) 73 TDs 4.5ypc 1,963rec yds 5TDs (8 seasons)

And also, keep in my CP has had 2 seasons where he only played 8 games because of injury. Yes Portis isn't the receiver that Faulk was, but their rushing stats are that far apart consider CP has played 4 less seasons.

Faulk was amazing from 99-01. But before that I didn't know much about him and after that he didn't do much else.

I think Faulk felt teh Colts were holding him back and than he goes to the Rams and has better seasons.

He died a quick death so to speak in the NFL after being a bit overused and the Rams expecting more than he could produce. Good, yes, HoF, i dont think so, but its not up to me.

I think Faulk felt teh Colts were holding him back and than he goes to the Rams and has better seasons.

He died a quick death so to speak in the NFL after being a bit overused and the Rams expecting more than he could produce. Good, yes, HoF, i dont think so, but its not up to me.

I dunno about the Colts holding him back. He had 4 1000yd seasons in the 5 years he was there. Now the Colts weren't nearly as good then as they are now, but they weren't a bad team. They made the playoffs twice while he was there and he was there when Manning first got started.

But I agree, Faulk was very good. But I wouldn't say his overrall career was great. Curtis Martin played 3 less years than Faulk and had 2,000 more rushing yards. Martin also rushed 1,000yds all but once in his 11 year career and that was his last season. Yet you don't hear alot of people mention Martin because he wasn't as flashy. But he was a great RB.

Ladanian Tomlinson is ranked too low at 13. Bo Jackson is too high at 9 - Bo showed flashes of greatness before injuries derailed his career. But if by greatest we're talking potential, he could list Ki-Jana Carter in the top 20. :rolleyes:

4 straight seasons of 2K yards from scrimmage

4th alltime in yards from scrimmage behind only Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith and Walter Payton.

136 career TDs

3 times Offensive Player of the Year

7 Pro Bowls

2 Super Bowls, 1 Ring

Not sure what else you would have wanted him to do. He wasn't a classic power back but he got the job done.

4 straight seasons of 2K yards from scrimmage

4th alltime in yards from scrimmage behind only Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith and Walter Payton.

136 career TDs

3 times Offensive Player of the Year

7 Pro Bowls

2 Super Bowls, 1 Ring

Not sure what else you would have wanted him to do. He wasn't a classic power back but he got the job done.

Yeah, but is Jerry Rice one of the greatest running backs of all time? Didn't think so. :silly:

:D

Archived