Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage: 2010 Training Camp - Day 7 (Final)

themurf

ES Coverage: 2010 Training Camp - Day 7

4860777622_4211c09bf0_o.jpg

08/04/10

:helmet:

Hello everyone and welcome to Day 7 of Washington Redskins training camp coverage, Extremeskins style. They call me murf, and I am your tour guide for today. JimmiJo may or may not join me, depending largely on his parole hearing this morning.

Unless something magical happens, this will be a "Haynesworth free zone," so keep that in mind when you're asking me to focus on specific areas. There are hundreds of place to read about the one guy who isn't actually doing anything out here, so forgive me if I politely decline to beat that dead horse.

For those of you looking for a basic recap of the first seven days of training camp, here's a link to my Redskins players power rankings. I went ahead and listed the 10 guys who have stood out through Week 1, while also mentioning five guys who haven't looked as sharp thus far. As always, your feedback is welcome.

As usual, practice begins at 8:30 and we I'll be doing my best to update throughout the day. Because it's much easier to carry my cell phone rather than a laptop, the best place to follow me during practice is on Twitter.

You can following me on Twitter at @HomerMcFanboy.

I'm not 100 percent sure which unit I'll focus in on today. I'm thinking I'll just observe practice and see what drills they're running before making any decisions.

Feel free to post any questions, concerns, comments, etc.

PHOTOS

4860778308_6871c5e0bb_o.jpg

To see a slideshow of ExtremeSkins photos click HERE

To see the complete set of ExtremeSkins photos click HERE

AUDIO

To listen to comments from Selvish Capers click HERE

To listen to comments from Adam Carriker click HERE

To listen to comments from DeAngelo Hall click HERE

To listen to comments from Chris Samuels click HERE

To listen to comments from Brandon Banks click HERE

To listen to comments from Kevin Barnes click HERE

To listen to comments from H.B. Blades click HERE

To listen to comments from Phillip Daniels click HERE

To listen to comments from Vonnie Holiday click HERE

To listen to comments from Lendy Holmes click HERE

To listen to comments from Wale click HERE

MURF'S TAKE

After seven days of grueling training camp practices, today marked the first time the coaches seemed to lighten up a little bit.

The mark of a good coach is someone who knows when to push his players and when to let off. Well, Mike Shanahan has two Super Bowl victories on his resume and today he’d apparently seen enough from many of his marquee veterans to let some of them take an opportunity to rest.

At points during practice, guys like Clinton Portis, Larry Johnson, Santana Moss, Joey Galloway and others were sporting baseball caps while watching from the sidelines. When those guys were in action, it was usually just to participate in individual unit drills (i.e. – running backs working out swing routes, receivers working with Kyle Shanahan, etc.)

All in all, today was a pretty low key affair. And honestly, after everything involved a poorly conditioned defensive lineman, the team deserved a light practice session. Speaking of Albert Haynesworth, I’ve been told that this morning, before practice started, Redskins general manager Bruce Allen was chatting with a handful of fans in the VIP tents.

During the course of a 15-minute conversation, Allen apparently suggested that Haynesworth will, in fact, take the conditioning test tomorrow and he will pass it. Now, was he being completely serious? Was he suggesting that time may stop if needed to ensure the soap opera ends and Fat Albert “passes” the test? Who knows?

But if he does take it and pass it tomorrow, then chalk that up as another little scoop for the McFanboy. If not, then it was definitely JimmiJo’s fault.

In addition to many of the name players sitting out for large chunks of practice, we were also treated to an old Joe Gibbs special. You see, back in the day, Gibbs was famous for having his players practice on the field furthest away from where the fans and media are allowed. Then, to make sure that no one can see a damn thing, he then took every player not involved in that particular drill and had them line up in a wall to ensure that no one saw anything.

Well, Shanahan’s apparently been around long enough to pick up that trick. For a good hour, we got to see Graham Gano attempting field goals from varying distances and that’s about it … unless you count the 50 or so backsides blocking our view.

While Gano did not have his best day (clearly feeling the pressure after JimmiJo went out of his way to slurp Gano in a way he usually reserved for Colt Brennan), he did have plenty of distance on his kicks. Unfortunately, more than a few of his efforts ended up wide right. One average day of practice out of seven isn’t reason for concern, but Gano will need to do better if he wants to remain the only kicker in camp.

A lot of you guys asked about the linebackers, and I sincerely apologize for not being able to speak on any of them. Had Shanahan not barricaded his practice session, I might have been able to key in on some of the linebackers, but honestly, from where we were there was zero chance of seeing anything in the middle of the field.

I can tell you that “The Sex Cannon” Rex Grossman had an abysmal outing. He’s had some good mornings, but today wasn’t one of them. During 11-on11 drills, Grossman overthrew three-straight receivers badly and on the third attempt, nearly threw an interception because of poor footwork.

None of the receivers in general had a monster showing today either. Someone like Devin Thomas or Terrence Austin would make a nice play or two, but no one showed up consistently.

In fact, if the offense was winning the battle earlier in the week, today was another win for the defense. The defense was playing so well that even Robert Henson had a pick today (on … you guessed it … Grossman).

So basically, the offense wasn’t great. The kicker was off his game and a majority of the main contributors on the roster skipped most of the practice. But other than that, today was a grand spectacle.

But Wale was here, and Roger Goodell will be in the house this afternoon. And Malcolm Kelly woke up this morning with no swelling or discomfort, so really, if Haynesworth can finally pass the test tomorrow, things might actually be heading in the right direction for the first preseason game.

Hail.

Feel free to post any questions, concerns, comments, etc.

Do the Inside Linebackers switch when the strength of the offensive formation switches?

If so which ILBs line up on the strong side and which ones line up on the weakside?

Are there 2 DL that take on 2 blockers? I'm assuming the NT takes on 2 blockers but which of the LDE/RDE takes on 2 blockers? And roughly how often does this happen? 50% of the time less?

Are OL making it to the second level?

How often are our ILBs fighting OL? %

How are Riley, Henson, Draft looking and is Gatewood at ILB or OLB?

How are the back-up OL looking? Stephon Heyer, Corey Lichtensteiger,Robinson, Selfvish Caspers and Cook looking?

Thank you for taking the time to do this and to answer my questions.

Unfortunately, more than a few of his efforts ended up wide right. One average day of practice out of seven isn’t reason for concern, but Gano will need to do better if he wants to remain the only kicker in camp.

Wide right huh? Well, he did go to Florida State.

None of the receivers in general had a monster showing today either. Someone like Devin Thomas or Terrence Austin would make a nice play or two, but no one showed up consistently.

Glad to see Austin still doing good. I love that kid, I think he will be a gem pick!

Seems he's here as a coaching intern, coaching the RB's. Like Samuels is interning and coaching the OL.

Strange, he's a commentator on NFL network.

It looks to me like Coach has brought in former players (Beuerliein also played in Denver) to watch practice. Maybe to mentor or provide feedback. Not sure.

Archived