Redskins.com: McCullough Off To a Fast Start

MOskins56

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=11883

McCullough Off

To a Fast Start

08/21/2003

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

Every preseason, an undrafted rookie or first-year player emerges seemingly from out of nowhere to make a legitimate run at making the Redskins roster.

Since the Redskins had experienced tailbacks Trung Canidate, Ladell Betts, Kenny Watson and Chad Morton competing for playing time, rookie Sultan McCullough seemed like a long shot to make the team.

But after an impressive training camp and a solid performance in the Redskins’ first pre-season game against the Carolina Panthers, in which he rushed for 50 yards on nine carries, McCullough has caught the attention of head coach Steve Spurrier. He had already caught the attention of offensive coordinator Hue Jackson, who coached McCullough in 1999 and 2000 when both were at USC.

“Maybe everyone else has been surprised at Sultan’s performance, but what I expected is what I knew,” Jackson said. “I’m glad for him. I think he is playing with a lot of confidence. Hopefully, he’ll keep getting better every week.”

McCullough, 6-0 and 197 pounds, was bypassed in last April’s NFL Draft despite finishing his collegiate career with 2,800 rushing yards, eighth-best on USC’s career rushing list. He was the first Trojan since Charles White in 1977-79 to lead USC in rushing for three consecutive seasons.

Reports of poor work ethic contributed to his stock dropping on draft day. Jackson didn't believe the reports one bit.

“I was surprised that he lasted even until the sixth round, let alone not getting drafted at all,” Jackson said. “In my mind, it meant that a lot of people didn’t want to give him an opportunity. But I know within that young man is a lot of talent and ability.”

Said McCullough: “When you’re a rookie free agent, you have to go somewhere where there’s an opportunity to make the team or at least the practice squad. I’m just here trying to take advantage. I hope I’ve found a home.”

Jackson helped run an up-tempo training camp, often encouraging players—as well as shouting out corrections. He admitted to pushing McCullough hard during practices, trying to get the young tailback to maximize his potential.

“I’m not easy on him at all,” Jackson said. “What I have to do is keep pushing him, keep driving him. I have to coach him differently than I would Trung, Ladell and Kenny.”

The motivation paid off against Carolina. McCullough showed a good burst of speed when attacking a hole. He had a 15-yard gain brought back because of a holding penalty early in the second half. Later, he accounted for 39 yards in one second-half drive.

Against New England last Saturday, McCullough had few opportunities, rushing four times for seven yards and catching one pass for eight yards. But he continues to get plenty of reps during practices, even with Betts and Watson returning to action after some nagging injuries.

To make the Redskins roster or practice squad, McCullough will have to perform equally as well on special teams during the pre-season games.

“If he can run down there and tackle people, block people, and be an excellent special teams player, he’s got a chance to make the team,” Spurrier said. “We’re looking for special teams players, too.”

I sure hope McCullough makes the regular roster, because I am afraid he will not clear waivers and make it to the practice squad.

I like Hue Jackson. This guys seems like he can really coach and develop running backs. He developed the undrafted Kenny Watson and I read where he was responsible for getting the Rock drafted, because he saw him play against USC. I read where he was almost doing back flips in the hallway after we drafted the Rock. :)

Originally posted by bulldog

McCullough won't make the roster unless one of the backs ahead of him is traded.

It almost happened with NO when the Skins were offering Watson and/or Betts.

Then let it be so. Betts and Watson may be different backs but their performance has been almost equal. The potential that McCullough shows is very rare. No way he will last five minuts on the waiver wire. The Rams will snag him in a heartbeat.

McCullough may end up being a better Trung Candidate type runner than Trung himself. It would be foolish to let him go untill we find out.

No thanks, known as a problem child at USC to begin with.

I'm seeing some Trade Watson so this kid can make the roster posts. Are you guys high, seriously? Watson has unlimited potential and has proven himself to be a very effective back. Sultan may have some speed, but I'll take the guy who has proven himself.

These are like the offseason threads where people wanted to cut Watson and keep Gillespie on the roster.

Originally posted by EvilMonkeyBoy

No thanks, known as a problem child at USC to begin with.

I'm seeing some Trade Watson so this kid can make the roster posts. Are you guys high, seriously? Watson has unlimited potential and has proven himself to be a very effective back. Sultan may have some speed, but I'll take the guy who has proven himself.

These are like the offseason threads where people wanted to cut Watson and keep Gillespie on the roster.

Coles was known as a problem child as well. That argument just doesn't hold much heat. If we had a proven drug problem that would be one thing. But rumors don't really prove anything. We could get more out of a trade for Watson than Sultan, which is why it may be a good move. He has much more upside for a 3rd string back.

Watson has unlimited potential? Come on! Are you a PSU grad by any chance? :)

Personally, I have no qualms about getting rid of ANY of our backs. It's not like any one is that much better than the rest. Plus, they all seem to be the same "type" of runner.

We could cut Betts and Watson and I would care not a bit.

Originally posted by jsichol

Watson has unlimited potential? Come on! Are you a PSU grad by any chance? :)

No, not at all, but I think the has just as much "upside" as Betts, screw where he was drafted(not at all in his case). Draft position means nothing to me, just ask Dominic Rhodes and Priest Holmes about it. He's produced consistantly against starting defenses and won games for us, I just can't see what a guy with some speed on him and not much else has over Watson. McCullough had a decent series against 3rd stringers, doubt he could do it against a first team.

Mad Mike, you think based on what you have seen so far in limited time against third line players that McCullough has RARE potential? :)

what exactly does 'rare' mean? I hope you aren't of the opinion that the 50 yards in Game 1 in the third and fourth quarters is indicative of a career that is going to yet rival Stephen Davis or John Riggins in a Washington uniform?

McCullough has a track sprinter's speed. The rest of his skills are very much in question, and therefore so is his roster spot. Watson at least has shown he can carry the ball in real games. I think that will end up being the difference.

agreed. I don't see how you can take a runner like Watson that only started a few games, ran for 534 yards, averaged 4.6 and caught 25+ balls and then say you don't see any difference between him and McCullough who has never seen regular season action and whose only productivity came against fellow scrubs in Carolina :)

Archived