Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Bobby Wade is here to stay

themurf

wade080210.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

Training camp is here for the Washington Redskins and head coach Mike Shanahan has said all along that the only player on the roster not competing for a job is starting quarterback Donovan McNabb.

With the depth chart wide open, players know they must bring their “A game” daily or risk losing playing time to a teammate who was able to seize the opportunity.

Out of every position on the roster, wide receiver just might be the most wide open position – with 11 players vying to make the final 53-man roster.

While players such as Santana Moss, Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly have been around a while, there are also youngsters such as Anthony Armstrong, Terrence Austin, Brandon Banks and Shay Hodge hoping to do enough to stick around. And then there are veterans like Joey Galloway, Mike Furrey, Roydell Williams and Bobby Wade, who are each trying to stick around a little while longer.

Out of all of the new faces competing for the job at wide out, it’s the last name that is most intriguing to me.

Over the last four seasons, Wade has averaged 44 catches for 530 yards and two touchdowns a year while playing in Tennessee, Minnesota and, most recently, Kansas City.

If Wade makes the final roster and is able to post similar stats, he’d give the team the same basic production as Antwaan Randle El (50 catches, 530 yards and zero touchdowns) for a fraction of the cost.

Wade has been around a while and knows what it takes to make it at this level, but he’s only 29 years old. That might give him a leg up on someone like 38-year-old Galloway, who is just one year younger than Keenan McCardell – the Redskins’ receivers coach.

After starting out training camp with a string of solid outings, I caught up with Wade over the weekend. He’s someone who has a solid track record over his eight-year career, but he’s also someone who ‘Skins fans have heard very little about or from since his arrival.

How’s everything going out there?

“It’s been good,” Wade said. “I’m trying to get the timing down and we’re just now getting back into pads for the first time in a long time. That always adds an extra five or six pounds on you, but I caught the ball well. I made a few mistakes, but that’s what training camp is all about – trying to get it right.”

With 11 receivers currently on the roster, how does one guy stand out above the rest?

“You’ve just got to make the plays,” he said. “When the opportunities are there, you’ve got to capitalize on them. There are a lot of things you can’t control. You can’t focus on them. But the things you can control are how you play and the effort you put out when you get those opportunities.”

You’re someone I consider a sneaky veteran. Looking at your numbers over the last few seasons, you’ve been under the radar, but you’ve been fairly consistent wherever you’ve been. What can you bring to the Redskins if you make this team?

“You know, that’s exactly it,” Wade said. “I want to be that guy who does everything right every single time. I want to bring that consistency, so coaches and quarterbacks know what they can expect from me week to week. I’m going to play my hardest and make every play that I get a chance to make and continue to roll like that.”

What’s your early impression of the Washington Redskins?

Click here for the full article.

After starting out training camp with a string of solid outings, I caught up with Wade over the weekend. He’s someone who has a solid track record over his eight-year career, but he’s also someone who ‘Skins fans have heard very little about or from since his arrival.

I have been a huge fan of this guy and I really think he makes the team and contributes.

I had listened to your audio interveiws and thought they were great btw, thanks.

Great read. I think we can understand why Wade was under the radar in KC but I remember his time in Minnesota and recall him as a solid, consistent receiver. He doesn't put up gaudy fantasy numbers but don't we need a posession receiver who we know will run an 8 yard pattern on 3rd and 7 and catch the ball?

i'm super excited to see what happens with WR this year, and to watch them during preseason.

I really hope Kelly and Thomas step up for the sake of cheering for familair names, but either way I hope we can put 3-4 guys out there that can be threats. WR is definitely going to be a fun position to watch play out over the next month.

we need a posession receiver who we know will run an 8 yard pattern on 3rd and 7 and catch the ball?

the funniest part about that, is that for the first time in the last 15 years, we might actually call an 8 yard pattern on 3rd and 7.

i'm used to calling a 4 yard play on 3rd and 7 :(

I love articles that highlight under-the-radar type guys like this. Bobby Wade is a perfect example of what the preseason is all about.

I can't wait to see how the WR depth chart shakes out. It's definitely the most riveting position battle this preseason.

the funniest part about that, is that for the first time in the last 15 years, we might actually call an 8 yard pattern on 3rd and 7.

i'm used to calling a 4 yard play on 3rd and 7 :(

So very true. I think it had already been mentioned by the press but one of our biggest additions that may get lost in the shuffle is Kyle Shanahan.

Archived