Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dez Bryant hurt at cowboy practice

skinsaddict

Then they will be out as quickly as they got in!.. :ols:

HA! Seriously, I'm not predicting super bowl. Who knows you may be right, they might not do anything in the playoffs. All I'm saying is Dez will help this team make the playoffs.

HA! Seriously, I'm not predicting super bowl. Who knows you may be right, they might not do anything in the playoffs. All I'm saying is Dez will help this team make the playoffs.

That's not really saying much, considering they were already a playoff team...

That's not really saying much, considering they were already a playoff team...

You're right. Everyone's saying Dez won't make an impact this year, but I see him being enough of an impact to help this team get back into the playoffs. Just because the Cowboys made the playoffs last year doesn't make it any easier to get back to the playoffs the next.

Agreed. They also return 20 of 22 starters and the two they lost (Adams and Hamlin) weren't exactly still elite at their positions.

I agree but something tells me your going to miss slozell Adams this year. I mean really Doug Free? Doug Free?

Edit: you'd be better off with this guy

Heyer_Stephon.jpg

I agree but something tells me your going to miss slozell Adams this year. I mean really Doug Free? Doug Free?

Edit: you'd be better off with this guy

Heyer_Stephon.jpg

Did you watch Doug Free play last year? Guy was rock solid while filling in for Colombo. And don't even begin to pin the Vikings loss on Free. Colombo was bloodied and beaten as bad as I've ever seen a RT get dominated.

Did you watch Doug Free play last year? Guy was rock solid while filling in for Colombo. And don't even begin to pin the Vikings loss on Free. Colombo was bloodied and beaten as bad as I've ever seen a RT get dominated.

You're right. He did hold his own against Jared Allen. I don't think Allen got a single sack in the Vikings game, do you guys remember any?

You're right. He did hold his own against Jared Allen. I don't think Allen got a single sack in the Vikings game, do you guys remember any?

Doug Free's first play was designed for Witten to block Allen. Dumb coaching but not Free's fault. It was the only sack Allen had the whole day.

Doug Free's first play was designed for Witten to block Allen. Dumb coaching but not Free's fault. It was the only sack Allen had the whole day.

A) How do you know this?

B) Why would you give a TE sole blocking responsibility against one of the best rush DE's in the game? That doesn't sound like a real explanation to me.

A) How do you know this?

B) Why would you give a TE sole blocking responsibility against one of the best rush DE's in the game? That doesn't sound like a real explanation to me.

That was the way it was explained in an interview with the line coach. Based on the additional rushers lined up inside and Allen lined up so far outside Witten's shoulder Witten became the only one in a position to block him.

Columbo playing on a broken tibia being unable to hold his own 1 on 1 against Ray Edwards really caused a cascading cluster **** along the Dallas o-line that game, particularly after Free was forced to play on the left giving Dallas no one to replace him. The Vikings exploited this with interior blitz after interior blitz, but Free was able to mostly handle Allen without help all game.

Nice post ImRickJames, thanks for putting all of that info in one place.

The one thing you forgot to attempt to prove, however, is why Dez Bryant falls into the "immediate impact" category, rather than the slow-start group. Your argument provides lots of helpful stats, but doesn't prove that most important part: your opinion on why Dez will immediately play like the successful names that you list.

The reason I think Dez will find success even as a rookie, is because living here in Big12 country, I've seen him play a lot and the dude has always looked to be the real deal to me... I saw a lot of mock-drafts that had Dallas picking Dez somewhere between picks 20-26... Having seen him play many times, I thought that was a crazy notion!! No way this cat falls to 20, dude's a top 10 (if not top 5) talent in this draft!

Secondly, is the way that any media-types who have been to the Alamo Dome, have all come away just raving about this kid... Babe Laufenburg (former NFL backup QB) says that Dez is the best rookie WR he has ever seen (now, Babe is a homer for the 'Boys, but still, he wouldn't say that if he didn't really, really, like what he saw from Dez)... I know the media will often get a hard-on for any Cowboys rookie, but the hype around Dez is on a whole other level, and I'm thinking when there's this much smoke, there's probably a hell of a fire burning... I cant remember another WR getting this much buzz around the NFL landscape since Randy Moss' rookie season... Even if he's only worth half the hype he's getting, that should still be good enough for 800 yards and 6 TD's...

Last but not least, Dez has done just about everything right up to this point... He was signed before any other 1st-rounders, despite having the same agent as Michael Crabtree... He was always the first person out on the practice field and the last one to leave the field (before his injury)... He spent at least an hour each day signing literally thousands of autographs after his first two days at training camp...

In fairness, there are a couple things that make me slightly less confident about Bryant as a rookie... Number one, when Dez finally takes the field for the Cowboys, a full calendar year will have passed since he last saw any real game action... Number two, the dreaded high-ankle-sprain... So he's gonna miss almost all of training camp, yikes... This will be a bit of a setback, especially considering how long it's been since he's seen a snap that matters, but, I think he's gifted enough and competitive enough to overcome this and have a real good rookie season...

Just for the record, I dont think much of anything about him declining to carry Roy's pads... On the one hand, I dont like it, rookies need to know there place, pay their dues, and show some respect... On the other hand, I can understand why he declined, he's here to take Roy's job and Roy's dollars, not to carry Roy's pads.... But overall this is a non-issue to me...

Also, I find it funny that you're criticizing the Skins secondary :ols:

Well I'm glad you find it funny, because I really meant it to be more tongue in cheek... Hall, Rogers, and Landry make for a pretty solid trio, and Horton has definitely shown flashes... So please dudes, chill.......

:ols: Please I know Roy williams might come close to that and He is the better WR then Dez!.. Dez is all hype. Hasn't done anything in the league.

Of course Dez hasn't done anything in the league yet, he's a rookie and the season hasn't started yet, DUH..... I like Roy and I think Dez being here will only make Williams better... That said, Dez is already on Roy's heels and he will knock Roy out of the starting lineup by the start of 2011 season, if not this season...

I like how your cherry picking WR's there. Should we list all the 1st rounder WR's picked who didn't do anything their rookie years let alone their careers? I bet that list is much longer then the one you just posted bro!.. Just sayin keep it real.

That's definitely an overly used phrase on this board!

How is it Cherry Picking? The argument was made (below) that it's "very rare" for a WR to do much of anything in their rookie season...

WRs don't generally produce well until about their third season. It's very rare for a rookie WR to make a impact, so don't expect one from Dez.

I think I've proven this notion to be incorrect... Every year there are numerous rookie WR's who make a significant impact on their teams...

Maybe you could say it's very rare for a rookie to go over 1000 yards, that would be slightly more accurate, but even that's not all that rare...

In the last 7 seasons, 3 rookie WR's have gone over the 1000 yard mark, and there were 3 more rookie WR's who were just shy of that mark each finishing with over 975 yards...

Obviously some rookie boom and some rookies bust, but Dez was thought to be hands-down the best WR in this draft, so the odds are he'll be one that booms...... (The Broncos will rue the day they chose Thomas over Dez!)

The reason I think Dez will find success even as a rookie, is because living here in Big12 country, I've seen him play a lot and the dude has always looked to be the real deal to me... I saw a lot of mock-drafts that had Dallas picking Dez somewhere between picks 20-26... Having seen him play many times, I thought that was a crazy notion!! No way this cat falls to 20, dude's a top 10 (if not top 5) talent in this draft!

See Bennett, M.

I know the media will often get a hard-on for any Cowboys rookie, but the hype around Dez is on a whole other level, and I'm thinking when there's this much smoke, there's probably a hell of a fire burning... I cant remember another WR getting this much buzz around the NFL landscape since Randy Moss' rookie season... Even if he's only worth half the hype he's getting, that should still be good enough for 800 yards and 6 TD's...

See Bush, Reggie

Last but not least, Dez has done just about everything right up to this point... He was signed before any other 1st-rounders, despite having the same agent as Michael Crabtree... He was always the first person out on the practice field and the last one to leave the field (before his injury)... He spent at least an hour each day signing literally thousands of autographs after his first two days at training camp...

Oh, yes, that failure to carry RW's pads was certainly the right move...:rolleyes:

In fairness, there are a couple things that make me slightly less confident about Bryant as a rookie... Number one, when Dez finally takes the field for the Cowboys, a full calendar year will have passed since he last saw any real game action...

You may have noticed Romo sits to pee isn't too high on the guy...

Number two, the dreaded high-ankle-sprain... So he's gonna miss almost all of training camp, yikes... This will be a bit of a setback, especially considering how long it's been since he's seen a snap that matters, but, I think he's gifted enough and competitive enough to overcome this and have a real good rookie season...

Yes, and I think if pigs could fly, there'd be a lot of pig **** to avoid.

Just for the record, I dont think much of anything about him declining to carry Roy's pads... On the one hand, I dont like it, rookies need to know there place, pay their dues, and show some respect... On the other hand, I can understand why he declined, he's here to take Roy's job and Roy's dollars, not to carry Roy's pads.... But overall this is a non-issue to me...

And, I suspect you have limited experience in team sports...:rolleyes:

I think I've proven this notion to be incorrect... Every year there are numerous rookie WR's who make a significant impact on their teams...

Really? How many rookie WRs in last year's draft are still in the league...and how many had over 1,000 yards?

TR1 why even bother posting that reply?

You managed to type some words, but they amounted to absolutely nothing......

Dont be scared, try having an opinion.... Sure it's highly likely your opinion will be wrong, but you should be used to that by now...

Go on, tell me why Dez will be a bust... Oh that's right, you dont wanna do that, because even you can see that Dez is gonna be a star... Isn't that right TR1?

I'm interested in seeing what DEz Bryant can do....As long as we have Rogers (or any other top CB that can challenge him)....then I'm up for the challenge...I actually really wanted to see him against the Bengals...I guess I have to wait though..

I'm interested in seeing what DEz Bryant can do....As long as we have Rogers (or any other top CB that can challenge him)....then I'm up for the challenge...I actually really wanted to see him against the Bengals...I guess I have to wait though..

If it's the long end of 4-6 weeks we might not see him for the Skins game either...

Archived