Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: What's Lurking in Your Stadium Food?

dsciambi

This article isn't necessarily Redskins related (or even football related, to be honest). But the chart gives the inspection ratings for the major sporting arenas, and I figured Redskins fans might be interested. Some of you may not want to read this (*cough*Caps fans*cough*). Wasn't sure where this should really go, but if it's really a Tailgate thread, feel free to move.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=100725/stadiumconcessions

Mold in ice machines at six stands at Miller Park in Milwaukee. A ****roach crawling over a soda dispenser in a private club at Mellon Arena in Pittsburgh. Food service workers repeatedly ignoring orders to wash their hands at a stand at Detroit's Ford Field.

Sports fans don't always see such health threats when ordering a $5 hot dog and $6 beer at a professional sports stadium or arena. But the violations catch the eyes of inspectors who poke, prod and probe stadium kitchens that dish out a range of foods from burgers to sushi, for tens of millions of fans who eat at major professional sports venues from coast to coast each year.

The notable ones:

Fedex Field: 36% of vendors in violation

Nationals Park: 25% of vendors in violation

Verizon Center: 100% of vendors in violation

Oriole Park at Camden: 9% of vendors in violation

M&T Bank Stadium: 4% of vendors in violation

alright, i expected fedex to have a terrible rating. but when you see the verizon center at 100%.... lol

i don't eat in the stadium because its expensive. and the food generally sucks when you factor in the price for it...

this'll just be another reason to fill up during the tailgate :)

wth ?

Rodent feces and other food safety violations. Which likely means cross contamination, improper food storage, improper handling. Basically, nobody cares so nothing gets done within regulation. You can tell up there, it's like a nail salon behind those counters. 10 people talking, 2 people working. Customer service and speed are an after thought, when that is the case, it usually means the food is dirty too.

This report shouldn't bother anyone who has ever worked in the restaurant industry.

Nearly every commercial kitchen in the world has mice and/or roaches; whether it's a hot dog stand at a ballpark or NY's finest five star establishments.

Well it is a tradition to get a beer and hot dog at a baseball game. Notsomuch now...

I'd be curious to see the stats on food sales around MLB this week following the report. I'll bet it's no more than a 3% dip with a full recovery w/ in two weeks time, of course those numbers won't be made public.

This report will be ancient history by the time the NFL returns.

A perfect story for the dregs of summer.

last year i had to go to the emergency room after eating a burger at camden yards......I've never felt such excruciating stomach pains like that before. it was from that experience I began to understand how some people would rather die than suffer from the pain

Archived