Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Beware "pay at the pump"

Larry

This is the third article I've seen on this subject, in my local paper, in the last few days. (And I don't read the paper. Just glance at the machine as I walk by.)

Law enforcement officials say a dozen credit card skimming devices have been found this month at Gainesville area gas stations - including four on Friday and one on Sunday - along with other devices found at St. Johns and Flagler county stations, in what appears to be a statewide theft ring.
Officials say someone using a universal key, which fits almost any gas pump in the country, is opening the pump faces and within a few minutes installing the device, which is undetectable to someone slipping their credit or debit card into the machine on the outside.

The device consists of a skimmer attached to the pump's card reader, a small hard drive to store the credit card numbers and a Bluetooth wireless device that can be accessed remotely to retrieve the data. Investigators downloaded data from one device found earlier this month in Gainesville and found it had stored about 500 card numbers.

"We're probably talking thousands of card numbers compromised," Rosoff said. "There's no telling how many of these things are out there."

Apparently, if you swipe your card at the pump, then someone may be intercepting all of the information that's on your card's mag stripe.

I'm wondering if there's a technological way to prevent this. Closest I've come to an answer would be some system where, when you swipe your card in a device, the device authorizes your purchase and changes the number on your card. But I think that would involve changing the hardware where it's swiped, and probably requiring you to run the card through twice.

had my bank card skimmed earlier this year for $500....was lucky enough to get my bank to reimburse me right away at no charge, but it really does suck. They usually will use your card during night time hours so they can use it as much as they can before it becomes restricted. I woke up one morning and my card had automatically locked out...they could have gotten away with a lot more money.

It's a sucky feeling because you have absolutely no control and you don't even know where it may have happened.

I had my card compromised a couple of years back. I went out one morning, bought a $1200 printer for a job, bought some breakfast at BoJangles, and bought a router at best buy. I went to a job, came out, and went to use my card and it was declined.

I called the bank, and they said they had a 69 cent charge from Nebraska so they canned the card. They explained that whoever had the info not only had my Bank Card Number, BUT THEY ALSO HAD MY PIN and had replicated it to an actual plastic card. Unreal! They said that 69 cent charge was a test, and they would have nailed me the next time.

I am extra careful using my card in public now. When I take it out to pay at a pump or ATM, I make sure that the devices are factory OEM stuff - nothing flaky looking. I also cover the card number with my fingers, and swipe and return the card to my wallet very quickly. With technology the way it is now, it's pretty easy to steal a card number and pin if that's your intention.

I've trained myself to look at ATMs and any device where I swipe my card, just to see if there's anything strange looking about the hardware. But inside the pump? That's scary.

In other news, there's a universal key for gas pumps? That's pretty strange if you ask me.

I called the bank, and they said they had a 69 cent charge from Nebraska so they canned the card. They explained that whoever had the info not only had my Bank Card Number, BUT THEY ALSO HAD MY PIN and had replicated it to an actual plastic card. Unreal! They said that 69 cent charge was a test, and they would have nailed me the next time.

Damn that's awesome... Consider yourself lucky...

Wow, your bank has awesome fraud detection. Mind if I ask which bank it is ?

A couple years back I was a victim of a skimmer, and I'm 90% certain is was at the Shell on 301 and Marlboro Pike, on the way back home from a Redskins game. I'm in IT and generally am cautious of known tech threats like credit card skimmers and remember actually thinking "huh, this one is a little different." But it was after a skins game, I was tired and ready to get home and I just kept my conscious clear, thinking that maybe they had to replace the unit (similar to how sometimes they'll replace card readers/signature pads at grocery stores with a different model). A day or two later, I got an email from Bank of America late at night (11pm) saying they froze my account and I sorted it all out. I was off the phone with them by 11:30 and had a new card issued. That $1000 charge that was fraudulently charged was taken care of (I was unemployed at the time and had maybe half that in the bank anyways!), and I wasn't responsible for any fees associated with getting the fraud team to clean it up.

This is why I love cash.

Well, one of the many reasons.

On the flip side I use my CC so I can get points which can be used for anything like air fare or gift cards. You can always dispute a charge and have you CC number changed. A little headache but I got have my points!!! :D

Archived