Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Colt McCoy, Browns agree to deal

Oldskool

Colt McCoy-QB- Browns Aug. 25 - 6:46 pm et

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that rookie QB Colt McCoy will make the Browns' roster baring "unforeseen circumstances."

The paper cites a league source, arguing that the Browns never planned for McCoy to see the field in 2010, thus making his incredibly poor camp and preseason less concerning. The Browns project him as a long-term backup.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Colt McCoy-QB-Browns Aug. 30 - 2:14 pm et

SI.com passes along "a sense" in the Browns' organization that rookie Colt McCoy is "in over his head" as an NFL quarterback.

The team is worried that McCoy is "not the physical talent they believed him to be." McCoy's numbers improved in the third preseason game, but he still made back-to-back boneheaded errors to close out the contest. While we don't think he'll be waived, it's certainly not out of the question. The Browns have a slew of linebackers and defensive backs they may prefer to keep.

Source: SI.com

Colt McCoy-QB- Browns Aug. 25 - 6:46 pm et

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that rookie QB Colt McCoy will make the Browns' roster baring "unforeseen circumstances."

The paper cites a league source, arguing that the Browns never planned for McCoy to see the field in 2010, thus making his incredibly poor camp and preseason less concerning. The Browns project him as a long-term backup.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Long-term backup? Never heard that term. Is this a typo or something the Cleveland Plain Dealer made up?

Who uses a 3rd round pick for a "long-term" back up?

Not at all surprised.

He was surrounded by amazing players at Texas.

A lot of his big plays were quick short passes that his skill players turned into huge gains.

He looks physically overwhelmed in the NFL.

Terrible, terrible pick. The only reason they don't cut him now is to save face until he everybody forgets.

Not at all surprised.

A lot of his big plays were quick short passes that his skill players turned into huge gains.

He looks physically overwhelmed in the NFL.

Terrible, terrible pick. The only reason they don't cut him now is to save face until he everybody forgets.

Agreed. Over hyped QB surrounded by a ton of talent at one of the best schools in the country. He was a good college QB, but looks really awful in the NFL. Granted it is only his first year, but what a terrible start to his NFL career.

Colt McCoy-QB-Browns Aug. 30 - 2:14 pm et

SI.com passes along "a sense" in the Browns' organization that rookie Colt McCoy is "in over his head" as an NFL quarterback.

The team is worried that McCoy is "not the physical talent they believed him to be." McCoy's numbers improved in the third preseason game, but he still made back-to-back boneheaded errors to close out the contest. While we don't think he'll be waived, it's certainly not out of the question. The Browns have a slew of linebackers and defensive backs they may prefer to keep.

Source: SI.com

I think anyone who really saw the guy play at Texas could see that his arm was pretty weak for NFL standards.

He threw a bunch of bubble screens, quick hitch routes, and slants.

Which is why I had to laugh when darrelgreenie said that McCoy's arm strength was on par with Mark Sanchez's arm. Sanchez made more impressive NFL type throws in his last Rose Bowl than McCoy ever made in his entire career.

I think McCoy could be a good backup after a couple years of seasoning though.

Not at all surprised.

Just a quick quible, who exactly were the amazing players he was surrounded with at Texas?

By all accounts Bradford was the one surrounded by amazing talent not McCoy.

BTW: My opinion of Colt remains unchanged by preseason.

Just a quick quible, who exactly were the amazing players he was surrounded with at Texas?

Aren't you the same guy that thinks Jason Campbell is a legit starting QB? :ols:

2006 Recruiting class rankings according to Rivals:

Texas- 5th

OU- 9th

2007 Rankings:

Texas- 5th

OU- 14th

2008 Rankings:

Texas- 14th

OU- 6th

2009 Rankings:

Texas- 5th

OU- 13th

Texas brought in on average, the 7th best class in the country in that time span, compared to OU bringing in the 10th. So Texas has a slight edge, but we can call it a push if you'd like.

So there was no real boost in talent that Bradford enjoyed, that McCoy didn't as well.

Especially when you look at McCoy's receivers at Texas, all highly rated 4 and 5 star prospects such as:

Jordan Shipley, Quan Cosby, Brandon Collins, James Kirkendoll, and Malcolm Williams. All highly prized kids that programs all across the South West offered scholarships to.

I don't know by what accounts you heard that Texas doesn't bring in a lot of serious talent, but those reports aren't true.

Aren't you the same guy that thinks Jason Campbell is a legit starting QB?

Yep.

And i'm perfectly comfortable having an unpopular opinion. (Although my opinion of Campbell is actually in keeping with the rest of the NFL world outside of this forum)

So there was no real boost in talent that Bradford enjoyed, that McCoy didn't as well.

Especially when you look at McCoy's receivers at Texas, all highly rated 4 and 5 star prospects such as:

Jordan Shipley, Quan Cosby, Brandon Collins, James Kirkendoll, and Malcolm Williams. All highly prized kids that programs all across the South West offered scholarships to.

I don't know by what accounts you heard that Texas doesn't bring in a lot of serious talent, but those reports aren't true.

Dude, i'm not talking about highschool recruiting classes (and i didn't say that Texas didn't sign talent highschool prospects) the other poster said that Texas had 'amazing talent'.

But, i thought it was pretty much understood by college football fans that OU had the more talent and Colt was basically getting the most out of average offensive talent at Texas.

Off the top of my head just take a quick look at the OUs NFL caliber talent: Trent Williams, Phil Loadholt, Juakin Igeliues (sp), Malcolm Kelly, Greshem

Texas: Jordan Shipley and Quan Cosby

Can we agree on that at least?

Dude, i'm not talking about highschool recruiting classes (and i didn't say that Texas didn't sign talent highschool prospects) the other poster said that Texas had 'amazing talent'.

But, i thought it was pretty much understood by college football fans that OU had the more talent and Colt was basically getting the most out of average offensive talent at Texas.

Off the top of my head just take a quick look at the OUs NFL caliber talent: Trent Williams, Phil Loadholt, Juakin Igeliues (sp), Malcolm Kelly, Greshem

Texas: Jordan Shipley and Quan Cosby

Can we agree on that at least?

No, because it's not true.

Texas does have amazing talent year in and year out. They lock down the top prospects from the state of Texas early on, and get a few excellent recruits every year from places like Oklahoma, Nebraska, and even California and the South.

It's not a coincidence they just played in the BCS Championship game.

No, because it's not true.

Texas does have amazing talent year in and year out. They lock down the top prospects from the state of Texas early on, and get a few excellent recruits every year from places like Oklahoma, Nebraska, and even California and the South.

It's not a coincidence they just played in the BCS Championship game.

Did you even read my post?

Because 1) I'm not saying that Texas doesn't recruit and sign talented highschools prospects

2) I'm not even talking about which team has more talent year in year out

3) Another poster mentioned that Texas has 'amazing' talent and i'm pointing out that last year and over the past 2 season Bradford at OU had more top NFL level talent then Texas

Point 3 isn't a matter of opinion

People saying Clausen will not be a good nfl quarterback I think are mistken...

Clausen is going to rock in this league--the Panthers got the steal of the draft. Not only does he have a cannon for an arm, but he's deadly accurate in tight windows. I foresee him being the most successful QB from this draft followed by Bradford and Skelton.

Clausen is going to rock in this league--the Panthers got the steal of the draft. Not only does he have a cannon for an arm, but he's deadly accurate in tight windows. I foresee him being the most successful QB from this draft followed by Bradford and Skelton.

I'm with this guy. I'll be watching his development closely. I really hope he gets into the starting lineup for the Panthers the first half of this season...

As an original member of the pre-draft "Jimmywag", I'm really excited to see how Clausen turns out. I still think he's going to be a beast. I couldn't believe he slipped as far as he did.

I've been busy lately so I haven't really been following the preseason outside of the Skins. How has he looked so far? Compared to Moore? Anyone know?

As an original member of the pre-draft "Jimmywag", I'm really excited to see how Clausen turns out. I still think he's going to be a beast. I couldn't believe he slipped as far as he did.

I've been busy lately so I haven't really been following the preseason outside of the Skins. How has he looked so far? Compared to Moore? Anyone know?

Preseason is always tricky when one discusses performance. Clausen has pretty much only played against second and third teamers, and in that respect he's done quite well. Against the Ravens he was sharp, he struggled against the Jets because he was constantly under pressure, and he almost threw a perfect game against the Titans. Moore hasn't looked so hot, so don't surprised if they experiment with Clausen at starter this season.

• 1 month later...
When does McCoy get cut?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-playbook/09000d5d81b7aac0/Playbook-Analyzing-McCoy-s-Browns-debut

*Mike Mayock makes specific statement regarding Colt's arm strength.

Playbook: Rookie report

04:37 – The Playbook crew analyzes Browns QB Colt McCoy's debut and also breaks down Saints RB Chris Ivory's breakout performance.

Considering he played against a tough Steelers defense in his first game, I thought Colt played well. The major concern was whether he knew the playbook and offense yet. If he plays about the same or better against the Saints, I think he's the starter the rest of the season. Next year, he should be a lot better. He already has very good accuracy. He just needs game experience.

Archived