Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Punctuation/Grammar question

Forehead

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Hey all,

Need a quick hand here. I'm writing a formal letter on behalf of my department, and there is a 3rd party referenced in a few of the sentences. One of the sentences is structured such that it ends with his name, which ends in Sr.

My question is, in a case where a sentence ends with a persons name, and their name ends with Jr., Sr., or something like that, are there two periods at the end of the sentence, or just one? I should know this, but it isn't a situation that comes up frequently, and I couldn't find an answer online.

Thanks

No need to double up. Unless the sentence ends in another punctuation mark, like a question mark, the single period can both abbreviate the word and end the sentence.

Hmmm....I had it at two originally...I think it's time for a poll!

It may have actually been faster to use google BTW.

I did, but couldn't find a definite answer, for some reason. So I put it here, this place is a pretty good resource.

Anyway, the letter got sent out, and the boss said she loved it and was immediately giving me a $3 million dollar raise for my excellent grammar. I'll think of you all while I'm sleeping on my mattress full of cash.;)

More than one period is too much for any man to handle! It's bad enough we have to endure them once a month, back to back would be unbearable.

:ols: Not only is that funny as ****, but it also is a great way to remember the grammatical rule.

I did, but couldn't find a definite answer, for some reason. So I put it here, this place is a pretty good resource.

Anyway, the letter got sent out, and the boss said she loved it and was immediately giving me a $3 million dollar raise for my excellent grammar. I'll think of you all while I'm sleeping on my mattress full of cash.;)

We want royalties! :silly:

Archived