Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Parcells a “QUITER”?

Mark

I was reading all this articles about latest great psychological move by Bill Parcells – walking out of practice and couldn’t help but thinking: what if for him to walk away from something that doesn’t exactly go his way has became a habit. Maybe he kind of use to idea that if he doesn’t like owner, team chances to get him a ring, his players or whatever he can retire, spend some time as a TV analyst and then get another chance with another team. Maybe all this being disgusted with players lacking motivations (players that he is paid to motivate) is the sign of things to come. Maybe he’s already getting tired of his new “rebuilding” project and he’s ready to leave in disgust. Maybe he is just a “QUITER”. What an awful thought.

And another thing. What the interesting contrast between him and let’s say Steve Spurrier. SOS keeps saying “We have to coach better..” and always ready to take a blame for team poor performance and Parcells keeps criticizing and ridicule his players.

I do think the things in Cowgirls land going to get much worse and I LIKE IT.

I think he is a good coach but as they get older they seem more stubborn and can't see or accept changes in philosophy that might be what is happening, he might be frustrated that his ideas aren't getting through. We can all hope his players have a poor season :laugh:

Not sure what a quiter is. But I know he's not a quitter!

This is the way of Parcells. It's all psychology. We WILL lose to this Parcell's team, whether it be this year or next year, his system will eat at his players until they decide they want to prove him wrong.

Reality Check: We need a Parcells-type coach for this team!

Tom - What are feelings on Parcell's Did you love him before he went to the Cowboys and hate him now. Or do you still like him and want him to be successful even though he coaches a despised rival? I'm curious because I couldn't imagine how I would feel if Gibbs came back and coached, say the eagles. i think I would obviously have mixed feelings, but there def. would be a sense of betrayal. How would fellow Skins fans react if Gibbs were to comeback and coach an NFC East rival?

frankbones,

While I do have that respect for him being a coach and he did bring the Giants two SB trophies, I despise him now that he is a Cowboy.

Let me tell you this. During the week of the playoffs when the Giants were getting ready to play SF, they have a Giants pregame show each week where Phil McConkey and Harry Carson are two of the people who host the show. Well, the week before and each week there are huge pictures of former Giants. The same pics are there each week. Carson, Taylor, Simms, and Parcells portrayed as coach of the Giants. Well, after it was learned that Parcells was coach of the Cowboys, the following week he had a huge X across his pic. It was put there by Harry Carson. I kind of feel the same way. Does that answer your question?

I think Parcells has proven himself to be a person who is impatient and to lack a long attention span. He is the type that once he accomplishes his goal, he's ready to move on to something new. The opposite is Dan Reaves or Marty who would seem to be happy in the same place for years on end doing basically the same thing for years on end. For my money, if I wanted to get something big done in a short time frame, Parcells would be the choice, understanding that he's not going to stick around for a long time. The other guys are probably going to field a decent team year in and year out but never win the big one. Neither personality type is inherently better, it just depends on what your objective is.

Parcell’s is by no means a quitter from what we have all seen of him over the years. But you have to admit that what is going on in Dallas right now is an absolute comedy in the making. I guess there must be a competition between Dallas and Detroit as to which staff can pull the most antics in the pre-season. Makes for great entertainment.

Parcells is 62 years old.

Marv Levy took the Bills to the SB at 67.

The only thing I buy in regards to Parcells is he has a tall order in re-establishing the Cowboys because they don't have a lot to work with this year, especially on offense.

But they do have some good defensive players and Parcells will develop some guys and get others to perform better than anyone expects.

That's his history. In NY the Jets were 1-15 under Kotite and the next year they were 9-7 under Parcells.

There is no doubt in my mind if he took over this Redskins team he would get 2-3 more wins out of it than Spurrier is going to get, just by having the team execute better and focus on the details.

Forget the fact Davis is gone and the fun'n'gun is here. With THESE players, Parcells would do better than Spurrier.

Regardless of the factors involved, the bottom line is that Parcells has a recent track record of quitting. He quit on the Patriots. He quit on the Jets. And he quit on the Bucs seconds before he even got started.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that his walk-out was literally a walk-out and not some masterful mind game, but their conman owner was able to talk him back... for now.

Pretending to quit is a pretty drastic measure, especially in the preseason. What's he going to do late in the season to get a rise out of the players, take a week long separation from the team?????????

It's my personal opinion that Parcells was once a great coach who has suffered from weight of his own ego. He's been called a genius by everyone at one point or another, except maybe his wife, and it's all gone to his head. His actions remind me of Michael Jackson, Mike Tyson, or any other overhyped, overpampered, celebrity on a career downslide.

When the bullets start flying for real, I will not be shocked to see this guy walk his fat butt straight out of Dallas faster than Santa Anna. He's a quitter, and though I'm anything but a Cowboy fan, I feel bad for those who are because they've got a flake for a coach.

Originally posted by Culver00

Regardless of the factors involved, the bottom line is that Parcells has a recent track record of quitting. He quit on the Patriots. He quit on the Jets. And he quit on the Bucs seconds before he even got started.

Well, the Pats went to the SB, the Jets were damn near there - and Tampa, well who knows what really went down there. I wouldn’t call him a quitter, however. If he gets Dallas deep into the playoffs in the next couple of years and quits, who’s gong to hate (maybe me !)? He’s a winning coach wherever he goes; can’t deny him that.

Originally posted by bleedblue

I do not think that Parcells is a quiter, he is a great coach.

He quit your team and left it in a shambles, and then blamed the owner in the media.

He quit the Jets and left them in a shambles, then stuck his good friend Bill Bellichek in a horrible position while he made his big fat escape.

He strung the Bucs along and then quit them before they hired him, which was imminent.

Bill took this job for two reasons. One,, if he DOES turn around the Cowboys, arguably the most watched and followed team in the USA, he cements himself as a football God forever.

TWO, If he doesn't, he can get with the press and cry that Jerry Jones is meddling (like he did to Bob Kraft) and everyone will believe him.

He's got nothing to lose, even if he does just up and quit.

~Bang

Parcells-Giants seemed different than Parcells-Patriots/Jets though. I was a little young when Parcells was with the Giants so I am not quite sure how it went as far as his entire tenure there. However, with the Jets/Patriots is seems like Parcells mainly went there to give the franchise an injection and then he just left. I mean seriously, why did he leave two franchises on the upswing?

Also I am kind of getting sick of his overexposure just cause he is coaching the Cowboys now. Every move he makes, every whistle he blows is basically being heralded as the next step for mankind in the evolutionary chain......

Archived