Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com - (Video) Is this the year for Dallas?

HapHaszard

Unfortunately between Columbo playing on a broken leg and Flozell sidelined they had no ability to deal with MN's vicious pass rush, though Free held is own against Allen, Edwards completely overmatched a gimped up Columbo.

Isn't every year "the Cowboys year?" Just out of curiosity, who is the right tackle? They upgraded the line right?

Dallas allowed 15.6 points a game last year, the next best team in the NFC was the 49ers at 17.6. I'd say it was pretty dominant, particularly later in the year.
And I would say it's pretty hard to justify calling what the Cowboys did last year dominant defense. A dominant D doesn't get outrun by a 265-lb RB. A dominant D doesn't fold in the 4th quarter against the Chargers. And by far the most important point, a dominant D doesn't get curb stomped in the playoffs. The Jets allowed even fewer points than the Cowboys did during the regular season, but when the Colts actually tried to beat them, Peyton Manning made that D look like Swiss cheese. That's not dominance. A couple of good games against the Eagles, a hapless 'Skins team, and a Saints team that may or may not have packed in for the regular season doens't change that.
Unfortunately between Columbo playing on a broken leg and Flozell sidelined they had no ability to deal with MN's vicious pass rush, though Free held is own against Allen, Edwards completely overmatched a gimped up Columbo.
Don't forget the way the Cowboys' defense held Sidney Rice to a paltry 141 yards and 3 TD's.

the Cowboys definitely garner a lot of love when it comes to preseason predictions. I cannot argue that. Basically that just shows you how meaningless preseason predictions, power rankings and Top 10 lists really are. They are really nothing but a vehicle to sell magazines and to spark debate, or as we have seen several times on this, and every single message board in the history of the interwebs, childish name-calling which passes as debate to some people...

And I would say it's pretty hard to justify calling what the Cowboys did last year dominant defense. A dominant D doesn't get outrun by a 265-lb RB. A dominant D doesn't fold in the 4th quarter against the Chargers. And by far the most important point, a dominant D doesn't get curb stomped in the playoffs. The Jets allowed even fewer points than the Cowboys did during the regular season, but when the Colts actually tried to beat them, Peyton Manning made that D look like Swiss cheese. That's not dominance. A couple of good games against the Eagles, a hapless 'Skins team, and a Saints team that may or may not have packed in for the regular season doens't change that.

Don't forget the way the Cowboys' defense held Sidney Rice to a paltry 141 yards and 3 TD's.

would you venture to say the Jets were a "dominant" D last year? Im guessing you would.....and to cherry pick a few stats from that "dominating" D....

MJD 123 yds rushing

Welker 192 yds Receiving

playoffs:

Benson 169 yds rushing

V.Jackson 11 yds receiving (Rivers (282 passing)

Manning 377 yds passing and Garcon 151 yds receiving....

see how that works, even the most dominant gives up yds sometimes.....Dallas was a top tier D...PERIOD!

would you venture to say the Jets were a "dominant" D last year? Im guessing you would.....and to cherry pick a few stats from that "dominating" D....

peeps like you are a waste of time.......EVERYONE gets beat and EVERYONE gives up points/yards at some point.

minus a few exceptions like the 85 bears and 78 Steelers and 200 Ravens.

The Jest were the most dominant Def in the NFL, and even they gave up chunks especially in the playoffs. thats my point!

At least being hyped means they must have a pretty good team with a chance to compete once the season starts. It sure beats being a fan of a team that hasn't been picked by anyone to do anything in 15 or so years.

So, you'd rather have root for an overhyped team that everyone thinks is good, but who frequently fail to meet expectations, over a team that is pegged about right, but occasionally surprises you.

Yep, sounds like a typical Dallass fan to me.

peeps like you are a waste of time.......EVERYONE gets beat and EVERYONE gives up points/yards at some point.
The Jets didn't just give up points/yards, they got steamrolled. The Colts just walked up and down the field on them. I mean, they drove 80 yards in about 50 seconds at the end of the first half. I would think a dominant D would at least show up for the most important game of its season.

The Ravens' D, for instance, also had a tough first half against the Colts the previous week, but they came back hard after halftime. They kept fighting long after it became clear there was no chance their offense was going to contribute. They held Peyton to 5.6 ypa and the Colts to under 50 yards rushing. The Ravens may have lost, but their defense showed up.

When it mattered the most, neither the Cowboys' nor the Jets' did. But apparently that's what makes them dominant.

The Jets didn't just give up points/yards, they got steamrolled. The Colts just walked up and down the field on them. I mean, they drove 80 yards in about 50 seconds at the end of the first half. I would think a dominant D would at least show up for the most important game of its season.

The Ravens' D, for instance, also had a tough first half against the Colts the previous week, but they came back hard after halftime. They kept fighting long after it became clear there was no chance their offense was going to contribute. They held Peyton to 5.6 ypa and the Colts to under 50 yards rushing. The Ravens may have lost, but their defense showed up.

When it mattered the most, neither the Cowboys' nor the Jets' did. But apparently that's what makes them dominant.

So Ravens D is dominant in 2009? Any idea how they did vs Mionny and how Sidney Rice did?

Okay then ill show you:

Rice 176 yds Rec A.Peterson 143 yds

Rivers 436 yds V.Jackson 141 yds

C.Benson 120 yds

C. Benson 117 yds

the Cowboys definitely garner a lot of love when it comes to preseason predictions. I cannot argue that. Basically that just shows you how meaningless preseason predictions, power rankings and Top 10 lists really are. They are really nothing but a vehicle to sell magazines and to spark debate, or as we have seen several times on this, and every single message board in the history of the interwebs, childish name-calling which passes as debate to some people...

:applause:...Pretty much, yep. :yes:

A good regular season is nice, but it's the playoffs that really matter.

This is a foreign concept to a lot of Cowboys fans lol :ols:...All those gaudy stats in September and October are what really define a good team. :thumbsup:...Well, until they actually, finally had a good December. Now, that's all they talk about--that one good December lol...

This is a foreign concept to a lot of Cowboys fans lol :ols:...All those gaudy stats in September and October are what really define a good team. :thumbsup:...Well, until they actually, finally had a good December. Now, that's all they talk about--that one good December lol...

dont generalize fans......Dallas fans most certainly know alot more then ya think...trust me, I know a ton opf Skins fans that dont know ish about football, but that alone doesn't mean the fanbase itself (for the most part) is that way.....

baby steps....

dont generalize fans......Dallas fans most certainly know alot more then ya think...trust me, I know a ton opf Skins fans that dont know ish about football, but that alone doesn't mean the fanbase itself (for the most part) is that way.....

It's not about "knowing football"...it's about using wins and stats from the first half of the season as proof of anything substantial. Trust me, the overwhelming majority of Cowboys fans that I (and probably most any other non-Cowboys fan) talks to has beaten the drum about Romo sits to pee's win/loss record, his numerous TDs, etc, etc, as proof that criticisms about his not being a top-5 QB due to his December/January record and performances are baseless and without merit. For the perfect example of what I'm talking about go read some of Kapolani's posts about how laughable it was to think Drew Brees was a better QB than Romo sits to pee :ols:...

its all he knows how to do, he doesnt want to engage in football talk, just tkae parts, twist things and spit it back out in his favor. No way is he giving Dallas fans any credit. Obviously regardless of what we do in life, he just sees the name of the team and critiques everyone for not agreeing with him.

So, you'd rather have root for an overhyped team that everyone thinks is good, but who frequently fail to meet expectations, over a team that is pegged about right, but occasionally surprises you.

Yep, sounds like a typical Dallass fan to me.

Spin it anyway you like. I rather my favorite team be good enough to get some hype and at least compete once the season starts than basically be a laughing stock for 10 or more years and have zero chance once the season starts. Just my opinion. If you don't mind your favorite team sucking for a decade that's your business!

its all he knows how to do, he doesnt want to engage in football talk, just tkae parts, twist things and spit it back out in his favor. No way is he giving Dallas fans any credit. Obviously regardless of what we do in life, he just sees the name of the team and critiques everyone for not agreeing with him.

I think the "Star" needs a better defender than you lol :ols:...because your arguments and posts contain about a thimbleful of logic and are often incredibly infantile.

Actually, I take that back...you are THE perfect person to defend the "Star" :thumbsup:

I will never really take the cowboys seriously as long as wade phillips is there.

And I suspect they can do well this year, as long as they maintain the freakish ability to go an entire season without losing one starter to injury. I mean, that happens all the time in the NFL. I credit their pregame stretching routine.

Spin it anyway you like. I rather my favorite team be good enough to get some hype and at least compete once the season starts than basically be a laughing stock for 10 or more years and have zero chance once the season starts. Just my opinion. If you don't mind your favorite team sucking for a decade that's your business!

We'll be looking forward to your cowardly dissapearing act by mid-season, as per usual. Depending on their record, of course.

coolbeans and defenderofthestar, doing their part to convince the rest of the nfl that cowboy fans are not, in fact, bandwagon jumping, inbred, ignorant, spineless ****wads. Good job guys, you're winning hearts and minds.

I will never really take the cowboys seriously as long as wade phillips is there.

And I suspect they can do well this year, as long as they maintain the freakish ability to go an entire season without losing one starter to injury. I mean, that happens all the time in the NFL. I credit their pregame stretching routine.

really, you cant take the Cowboys seriously because Wade Phillips is there, but you can take yours while Zorn was here? How do you make that comparison, one never has been is better than a coach whos been to the playoffs?

We'll be looking forward to your cowardly dissapearing act by mid-season, as per usual. Depending on their record, of course.

coolbeans and defenderofthestar, doing their part to convince the rest of the nfl that cowboy fans are not, in fact, bandwagon jumping, inbred, ignorant, spineless ****wads. Good job guys, you're winning hearts and minds.

Intelligence, only comes around when certain posters are here, seriously, i've found some well intelligent Skin posters here, some real good Boys posters, couple others from other teams.

But yah, Zoony, knowing his posters all riiiiiiiiiiiiiight

There have been some serious coaches that were total boobs that won a Super Bowl. I'm not saying that Wade is (I think he is a great defensive mind) but that's the perception that he is a buffoon and can never win, but Weeb Ewbank, Brian Billick and Barry Swizter can?

Archived