Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Check out an up and coming MD/VA band here! Thanks!

drone007

Hi all,

Just had an idea today that it might be a cool idea to share my band with my fellow extremers...

We are called Mason Vixon (www.masonvixon.com) and we formed in January of this year. We label ourselves as Country Rock, but if you listen to country nowadays you know that can be kinda ambiguous. The band is made up of young and successful musicians from around Baltimore, Columbia, and Frederick, MD.

Our first show is an event July 10th called 'Duck into Country' where we open for Bucky Covington! Not bad for a first gig, huh? lol

Anyway, take a listen to a song of ours called 'Never Knew (You Existed)' on 93.1 WPOC's website... http://www.wpoc.com/new2/artists/i/287274?psid

The song was recorded in my basement about two months ago actually. since then we've added a mandolin and fiddle player and we are extremely excited about the prospects for this band. any criticism or comments are welcome, no hard feelings!

Urggggh.

I can't get connected (keep getting a prompt for user name/password) so I can't offer musical critique. Is there another link available?

I like the name, though one of my bands that used to tour quite a bit always called it the Manson-Nixon line, so I'm biased toward that over your current name. ;)

As for the successful musicians don't record in the basement reply, these days they can and do. The technology is affordable as long as one of you has the engineering smarts. I assume you do.

Best of luck - it's always cool to start with a good gig, and it looks like you've got that one covered. :)

as far as a second link... www.soundclick.com/masonvixon should do the trick.

yeh, we recorded a few songs in the basement just as very rough demos because we wanted to get the music out as quick as possible. most times the performance is more important than the quality of the recording equipment.

and as far as mixing talent, those songs are the first i've ever mixed. i'm getting into it as an additional music hobby aside from drumming. so lemme know what you think, i can't wait to record more stuff. :)

thanks for the well wishes guys

If you guys are serious about getting this band going please promise me you will not record your "real" album. Nothing kills bands more than trying to wear too many hats. Take your songs to a studio where their job is simply to record you. You will not be let down.

If you guys are serious about getting this band going please promise me you will not record your "real" album. Nothing kills bands more than trying to wear too many hats. Take your songs to a studio where their job is simply to record you. You will not be let down.

Agree. My band went to a studio that was running a special and recorded a 4 song demo and sounds way better than anything we could have done ourselves. You can check out in the link in my sig, prob not your style but still give it a listen if you like.

I like the name, though one of my bands that used to tour quite a bit always called it the Manson-Nixon line, so I'm biased toward that over your current name.

I live minutes away and I call it "The Manson-Nixon Line" also, I stole it from Robin Williams a LONG time ago.

On topic: Sounds good. Hold on to that singer, she's a keeper fer sure!

in regards to recording the real album: yeh, i totally agree and everyone in the band understands that we would use these rough demos to hopefully catch wind and then go to a more capable place. however, i really love doing it so its just been a fun experience so far.

yeh the singer is very talented and i cant wait to share the stage with her, i'm anxious to rock out soon.

funny thing, most of the members are in other bands as well which have nothing to do with country. the singer is in a cover band where she sings pantera and tool lol

in regards to recording the real album: yeh, i totally agree and everyone in the band understands that we would use these rough demos to hopefully catch wind and then go to a more capable place. however, i really love doing it so its just been a fun experience so far.

yeh the singer is very talented and i cant wait to share the stage with her, i'm anxious to rock out soon.

funny thing, most of the members are in other bands as well which have nothing to do with country. the singer is in a cover band where she sings pantera and tool lol

The only danger, and I will admit in advance I haven't listened to the demo songs yet, is that in my experience producers have little to no imagination. So, if you want to sell yourself your product needs to be as perfect as you can make it. Mind you, if you really want to sell yourself get yourself heard... I don't know if that's better done these days through gigging or you-tube or a facebook campaign.

The only danger, and I will admit in advance I haven't listened to the demo songs yet, is that in my experience producers have little to no imagination. So, if you want to sell yourself your product needs to be as perfect as you can make it. Mind you, if you really want to sell yourself get yourself heard... I don't know if that's better done these days through gigging or you-tube or a facebook campaign.

Yeh that was certainly a thought I had; like with this wpoc 93.1 thing, I don't think they would play the song on the radio bc in my opinion its not mixed well enough but I would hope it wouldn't hurt too bad since we are getting a lot of hits on the song.

Facebook is absolutely amazing, ill just say that. We recorded our two songs at my house and uploaded them to facebook, sent the invites, and overnight we had 150 fans. Id say its this biggest tool at a bands disposal nowadays.

Archived