Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Getting to know Artis Hicks

themurf

hicks060310.jpg

(courtesy photo)

Admit it. When you’re a fan of the Washington Redskins, you’re used to the owner rolling out the red carpet to wine and dine top-end free agents like Albert Haynesworth.

Go big or go home, has always been the business model at Redskins Park. That’s just how they roll.

So it was kind of a culture shock when the biggest addition during the opening stages of free agency was some unheralded offensive lineman allegedly named Artis Hicks.

Sure, the offense was a joke last season and the line was one of the biggest offenders, but if you’re going to go that route wasn’t there an aging veteran with name recognition (like say, Orlando Pace) waiting for one last payday?

Nothing against the eight-year veteran, who stands 6-feet-4 and 335 lbs., but he’s not exactly the caliber of player who sells jerseys on a sub .500 football team (we say with tongue firmly planted in our cheek).

He’s not flashy, but Hicks might be exactly the kind of player the Redskins needs more of – a blue-collar worker who cares about nothing more than helping his team win on Sundays.

“Well, you know, I’m just trying to do whatever I’m asked,” Hicks said. “Right now, I’m at right tackle, so I’m trying to do my job and keep [quarterback] Donovan [McNabb] clean and open some holes for all these great running backs we’ve got here. It’s been fun getting to know these guys and trying to fit in. I’m looking forward to this season.”

You’ve been in the league a while now. Is there a particular position on the offensive line that you prefer to play?

“For me, it’s a matter of getting the work at whatever position they want me to line up at,” he said. “I’ve played four of the five – both guards and both tackles – so I’ve got the experience to play wherever. I’m not new to any of the positions, but there is some rust when you switch to a new role. That’s why this time of year is so great. During OTAs you can get out there and knock the rust off, move some guys around if need be and get a good feel for everything.”

If you’ve played four of the five positions on the offensive line, should we warn center Casey Rabach that you’re gunning for his spot to round out your resume?

“I’ll never be comfortable with a guy putting his hand on my behind,” Hicks said with a laugh.

It takes a special kind of man …

“That’s one position in football that I have no desire to play,” he continued. “I give a lot of respect to Casey and those centers … I just can’t do it.”

What was your opinion of the Washington Redskins before you joined the organization back in March?

“When I was growing up, you always heard about their offensive line, the Hogs,” he said. “I’ve always been an offensive lineman and I loved football growing up, so I always paid attention to what those guys did. There’s so much great tradition here and as soon as you walk in the front door you see those three Lombardi Trophies. They don’t just give those out. It takes a lot of hard work and a lot of sweat and tears to achieve something like that. Hopefully we can restore some of that great tradition.”

Let’s be honest, there aren’t a ton of highly-touted offensive lines throughout NFL history …

Click here for the full article.

HE could easily be one of, if not the best pick up this team has made this year. His ability to play at guard or tackle will most likely come in handy at some point this year.

Great attitude and effort will help the team.

Just the fact that Stephon Heyer and Starting Tackle will not be mentioned in the same sentence, makes this guy an incredible pick up. Hopefully Capers can step up and be ready to start later in the season, but Hicks has a great versatility

HE could easily be one of, if not the best pick up this team has made this year. His ability to play at guard or tackle will most likely come in handy at some point this year.

Great attitude and effort will help the team.

Definitely agreed with this. The versatility is key, and he might actually start. He also started for the Eagles when they went to the Super Bowl, so the guy can play and has big-game experience.

Nice job Bruce!

Critics from the USA Today indicated Hicks was a question mark because he had only been a top backup for the Vikings. These people forget that Minnesota this past decade have had a collection of top lines and pro bowl players pass through the doors.

Being a guard listed behind Steve Hutchinson or a tackle behind Bryant McKinney isn't exactly a mark that you can't play the game :D

Wow. I like this dude! Hicks seems to be an experienced, humble, over-achieving team player with something to prove. Oh.. and Well-spoken! :D

Great work, Murf!

edit:

Just the fact that Stephon Heyer and Starting Tackle will not be mentioned in the same sentence, makes this guy an incredible pick up.
:laugh:

Critics from the USA Today indicated Hicks was a question mark because he had only been a top backup for the Vikings. These people forget that Minnesota this past decade have had a collection of top lines and pro bowl players pass through the doors.

Being a guard listed behind Steve Hutchinson or a tackle behind Bryant McKinney isn't exactly a mark that you can't play the game :D

Great Post. I am in, and I don't know why more people have not realized this. I really feel as I said, this is going to be a great move. As much as I like the Carriker move this one is/was really needed.

Archived