Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Finally finished the degree today...

Ghost of

I just got out of my final final examination. I won't be attending commencement because I don't have family or friends to please, at least not enough that would be making any trip out to see me walk and if that's not on then I have no interest in waking up early on a Saturday. Instead it seems I will be pressed into service as a mover for the girlfriend (fellas, never get into a relationship!) in spite of my sprained ankle (if I offer this as an out, rest assured it will not go over well.)

There is an outside chance that I finish with a 4.0 this term and get an honor above even Dean's List. But if not, I'm sure my grades will be sufficient to get me into a good grad program, provided I do well on the GRE.

To all of you who have thought about finishing something you started (or never did begin in the first place) go ahead and do it. I did this, not just for career advancement but as something that should have been finished a long time ago and to which I dedicated almost all of my mental energy (that and Campbell debates.) Achieving something significant that represents invested effort probably opens more doors for you psychologically and spiritually than the degree itself (though obviously it is a prerequisite for any attempt at grad degrees.)

Upwards and onwards!

Congratulations! The important thing is you get that piece of paper. I have know some people who almost graduated and actually walked before they actually did finish. When they did finish, they had no need to go to the official ceremony.

congratulations! it's harder to do obtain a degree as you get older - i have a great deal of respect for what you have accomplished. but as you have demonstrated, it is never too late to set and reach new goals. well done!

I had a full-time IT job that I quit to start massage school (2 years full-time) when I was 31 -- 2 days after my 1st child was born.

And I just started osteopathy classes last month -- 5 year course and possibly 6 if I take the masters program -- at the age of 36.

And from my perspective.... I've found it easier to get a degree when you're older. Sure, you don't retain as much so you have to try harder... and it's difficult to pull anything that resembles an all-nighter... and sure you don't have as much free time as you'd like/need.

But when you make a commitment to return to school at an older age.... you're there because you WANT to be there. And your partying days are likely over :) And now you aren't "memorizing" the data.... but now you want to "understand" it. It's a huge advantage over younger classmates... who are at a completely different stage in their lives.

It's been my experience that it's always the "mature" students who garner the highest marks in classes.

-- With that being said.... Congrats Ghost. I know what it's like to mentally make that commitment at the expense of a lot of things. And it's no coincidence you did well. Take a few moments to decompress.... and celebrate your accomplishment. Don't take yourself for granted..... leave that to the rest of the world ;) Cheers.

i could see where it would be easier for someone who is older than the traditional student, especially from a commitment standpoint. of course, i was looking at it with the idea that adults must juggle many things to make it work - just as you demonstrated.

and i corrected the grammar in my first sentence that you quoted. sure will be glad to use more than three fingers for typing in a couple of weeks or so. :)

again, congrats ghost. did you end up walking or skip the ceremony?

Well done, Ghost!

And quoted for truth:

To all of you who have thought about finishing something you started (or never did begin in the first place) go ahead and do it. I did this, not just for career advancement but as something that should have been finished a long time ago and to which I dedicated almost all of my mental energy (that and Campbell debates.) Achieving something significant that represents invested effort probably opens more doors for you psychologically and spiritually than the degree itself (though obviously it is a prerequisite for any attempt at grad degrees.)

Archived