Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DB: GOP Senator Blocks Bill to Make BP Pay

JMS

So they can only be held responsible for things they were "required to have"? You don't think they should be held responsible for doing what they needed to do, just what they were legally obligated to do?

So an airplane which drops from the sky halfway between DC and Chicago because it ran out of gas shouldn't be marked against the airline... Hell their is no government regulation requiring them to have enough fuel to make it to their destination...

You sure about that?

We don't legislate reasonable competence. Clearly they could use a redundant tested mechanism for turning off the oil flow currently and a few weeks ago.... Clearly the mechanism they believed to be sufficient were not.

Nope... Exploritoy equipment is used to 'explore for oil', it's not used to actually harvest the oil. In this case BP opted to use the exploritory rig for production in order to save the 2 million swapping out that well would cost.

I'm not in the oil drilling business but I assumed there was some legit reason.

Why not talk to both.

I'm not so much about weither they were right or wrong but that there has to be some limit to how much they have to pay for.

And how do you break up my quotes into sections? i don't know how hence the red for my arguments

I want to know why the left wing and the media is still giving Obama a pass on this. I of course know the answer, I just like watching you guys spin into a pretzel attempting to defend him.

And what would you like him to do?

BTW, I am one of the few who doesn't blame Bush for the Katrina response because I feel the vast majority of the blame there goes to the mayor of NO and the governor of Louisiana. FEMA didn't do what it needed to because the director was incompetent and if you want to blame Bush for that then so be it, but to lay the whole thing at his feet like some do is wrong headed.

I want to know why the left wing and the media is still giving Obama a pass on this. I of course know the answer, I just like watching you guys spin into a pretzel attempting to defend him.

I don't know why anyone would blame Obama for problems that have existed for decades. The regulations for oil rigs haven't changed in 30 years, even tho rigs have been moving out into deeper water and what was safe in shallow water might not have been safe in deeper water.

Both the industry and the government share blame here to some degree, but this is something that built over years.

BTW, I am one of the few who doesn't blame Bush for the Katrina response because I feel the vast majority of the blame there goes to the mayor of NO and the governor of Louisiana. FEMA didn't do what it needed to because the director was incompetent and if you want to blame Bush for that then so be it, but to lay the whole thing at his feet like some do is wrong headed.

Well, Bush does get some responsibility, since putting FEMA under Homeland Security was questionable and the relative inexperience of "Brownie", tho that wasn't anything new to appointed positions and in a way he was a fall guy for the Bush administration. I do agree that there were other issues outside of the Bush administration's control.

[.quote]

I'm not so much about weither they were right or wrong but that there has to be some limit to how much they have to pay for.
[./quote]

[.quote]

And how do you break up my quotes into sections? i don't know how hence the red for my arguments
[./quote]

If you want to do what I just did then you need to put the following at the beginning of the first divided section you want [.quote] <--remove the period. Then at the end of the section you want put [./quote] <--again remove the period. Then type between the quoted sections.

And what would you like him to do?

Then you and I agree on something. I dont blame Obama AT ALL for this. Im just pointing out the hypocrisy of others on the left and the media.

If this had happened under Bush, I know for certain that the narrative would be far far different than what it is now.

That's what judges are for.<---dangling participle and all. But, my guess is that if you hire a lawyer because you're paying more for craps...(LOL) you're going to make the news, but for completely different reasons.

I stopped leaving it up to the courts when they gave a chunck of change to the idiot that spilled Mcdonalds coffee in lap.

Never said blameless. But there needs to be a limit. And if consumers have an issue with their business practices, don't buy from BP. I bet they will feel that a lot more.

Yes you did say blameless... your position is the 'blame' should be detached from the economic impact of the disaster. That's called blameless. That's called business as usual. Let BP write a check out of petty cash and continue business as usual.

How dare anybody hold them responsible for their actual damage they caused...

Again, where are we going to draw the line at what they have to pay for? Can I sue them because the cost of crabs may increase?

Why draw the line? That's what the courts are for. Let BP pay for the economic impact they've caused. Let that be incentive for responsible corporate actions in the future.... That's how the system is supposed to work.

There is plenty of blame to go around for everyone...from the Government to BP and we are going to see spin-control like we haven't seen since the Exxon Valdez.

The one thing that I find upsetting is that there were 11 people who died as a result of this and they aren't really discussed. The impact that this has had on those familes, not to mention the sea-life that has been destroyed, or the towns along the Gulf that depend on the tourist season.

I stopped leaving it up to the courts when they gave a chunck of change to the idiot that spilled Mcdonalds coffee in lap.

Yeah why should McDonalds be held responsible for serving coffee significantly hotter than any other national restaraunt chain? I believe the woman involved got 3rd degree burns, and recieved a fraction of 1% of what McDonalds earned that year.

People who want to blame Obama for the BP mess need to go back and retroactively blame Bush Sr. for the Exxon Valdez.

The issue is that there WERE idiots who blamed Bush and the Govt for Valdez. And there was near revolution blaming Bush for Katrina.

Those same folks are silent now.

Yes you did say blameless... your position is the 'blame' should be detached from the economic impact of the disaster. That's called blameless. That's called business as usual. Let BP write a check out of petty cash and continue business as usual.

There is a difference between thinking they caused something and making them responsible for every penny everyone has incurred because of it.

Why draw the line? That's what the courts are for. Let BP pay for the economic impact they've caused. Let that be incentive for responsible corporate actions in the future.... That's how the system is supposed to work.

As I stated before, I lost faith in the courts when they awarded money to a robber who fell through a sky light and landed on a kitchen knife.

And why isn't what I wrote in the middle outside of yours? I'm having trouble figuring this out

Yeah why should McDonalds be held responsible for serving coffee significantly hotter than any other national restaraunt chain? I believe the woman involved got 3rd degree burns, and recieved a fraction of 1% of what McDonalds earned that year.

Sorry, but this is wrong. The coffee was 180 degrees I used to work at Burger King in 1993, and 180 degrees was our target temperature for coffee.

That cap is only on economic damage and 10 billion is insane.:beatdeadhorse:

BP has paid out 450 million so far...with a bunch left to come

The 10 billion bs will simply raise energy prices and is a political stunt,much like the Florida request for millions to advertise

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2010-05-12/business/fl-oil-spill-florida-tourism-money-2-20100512_1_visit-florida-bp-gulf-of-mexico-spill

Gov. Charlie Crist on Wednesday asked BP for $34.75 million for Florida tourism marketing to counter the perception that oil from the company's Gulf of Mexico spill is spoiling state beaches and waters.

No oil from the BP spill has reached Florida, but some tourists have canceled or postponed trips because of concerns that the spill could ruin their beach vacations. Tourism ranks among the state's top industries.

Serious question, why shouldn't BP be held responsible for the whole thing, and if they go bankrupt, so what? Isn't that the free market?

There are these very strange dichomoties throughout our politics. We took of "freedom" and "free market" and "personal accountability." However, the problem is that we apply them differently to corporations and individuals. An individual who negligently burned down the entire gulf coast would be held accountable for as much as he actually had. He'd go bankrupt, lose his business, and maybe even be responsible for criminal negligence. Yet, we don't think a corporation should face the same consequences?

Isn't liability - even legal liability - a big part of the free market?

Edit: I see at least a few other people had the same thoughts i did.

The issue is that there WERE idiots who blamed Bush and the Govt for Valdez. And there was near revolution blaming Bush for Katrina.

Those same folks are silent now.

I hear ya, and in the great American tradition the talking heads on Faux are lining up to call this "Obama's Katrina".

Frankly I think we'd all be better served if we tuned out cable news entirely.

Don't really agree with your opinion here but I'll use another example....the robber who got money for falling through the sky light of a house he was robbing and fell on a kitchen knife?

Then you and I agree on something. I dont blame Obama AT ALL for this. Im just pointing out the hypocrisy of others on the left and the media.

If this had happened under Bush, I know for certain that the narrative would be far far different than what it is now.

If this had happened under Bush, BP would likely not have to pay a penny - just like all the offshore oil spills that happened during Rita/Katrina.

As I stated before, I lost faith in the courts when they awarded money to a robber who fell through a sky light and landed on a kitchen knife.

Give me a link on that... I remember the courts prosecuting a man for man slauter for rigging up an electrical trap, and then leaving his store open to attract the robber. That was a criminal case not a civil case.

There is a difference between thinking they caused something and making them responsible for every penny everyone has incurred because of it.

Of coarse BP will have to be found libel for the spill, but that's not even in question here because their CEO has already admited they were responsible for the spill. The debate is about them being responsible for the economic impact.

So really your statement should read... "their is a difference between causing a crisis, and having to pay for it."

So If I dump a gallon of gasoline on your car, and burn it to the ground... Can I claim to be only responsible for 100$ because if I were responsible for more it might impact my lifestyle?

I think not. Even if I had a letter from the government saying matches were safe.

Ok, that was from the movie Liar Liar.

Wow, just looked that up....never knew that. Damn urban myths!

So here is something with a reference.

7TH PLACE:

Kathleen Robertson of Austin,Texas was awa rded $80,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The store owners were u nderstandably surprised by the verdict, considering the running toddler was her own son.

6TH PLACE:

Carl Truman, 19, of Los Angeles, California won $74,000 plus medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Truman apparently didn’t notice there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal his neighbor’s hubcaps.

Go ahead, grab your head scratcher.

5 TH PLACE:

Terrence Dickson, of Bristol,Pennsylvania, was leaving a house he had just burglarized by way of the garage. Unfortunately for Dickson, the automatic garage door opener malfunctioned and he could not get the garage door to open. Worse, he couldn’t re-enter the house because the door co nnecting the garage to the house locked when Dicks on pulled it shut. Forced to sit for eight, count ‘em, EIGHT, days on a case of Pepsi and a large bag of dry dog food, he sued the homeowner’s insurance company claiming undue mental Anguish. Amazingly, the jury said the insurance company must pay Dickson $500,000 for his anguish. We should all have this kind of anguish.

Keep scratching. There are more…

4TH PLACE:

Jerry Williams, of Little Rock , Arkansas , garnered 4th Place in the Stella’s when he was awarded $14,500 plus medical expenses after being bitten on the butt by his next door neighbor’s beagle – even though the beagle was on a chain in its owner’s fenced yard Williams did not get as m uch as he asked for because the jury believed the beagle might have been provoked at the time of the butt bite because Williams had climbed over the fence into the yar d and repeatedly shot the dog with a pellet gun.

Grrrrr … Scratch, scratch .

3RD PLACE:

Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania because a jury ordered a Philadelphia restaurant to pay her $113,500 after she slipped on a spilled soft drink and broke her tailbone. The reason the soft drink was on the floor: Ms. Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument. What ever happened to people being responsible for their own actions?

Scratch, scratch, scratch. Hang in there; there are only two more Stella’s to go…

2ND PLACE:

Kara Walton, of Claymont,Delaware sued the owner of a night club in a nearby city because she fell from the ba throom window to the floor, knocking out her two front teeth. Even though Ms. Walton was trying to sneak through the ladies room window to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge, the jury said the night club had to pay her $12,000….oh, yeah, plus dental expenses. Go figure.

1ST PLACE: (May I have a fanfare played on 50 kazoos please)

This year’s runaway First Place Stella Award winner was Mrs. Merv Grazinski, of Oklahoma City,Oklahoma, who purchased a new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On her first trip home, from an OU football game, having driven on to the freeway, she set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the driver’s seat to go to the back of th e Winnebago to make herself a sandwich. Not surprisingly, the motor home left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Also not surprisingly, Mrs. Grazinski sued Winneba go for not putting in the owner’s manual that she couldn’t actually leave the driver’s seat while the cruise control was set. The Oklahomajury awarded her, are you sitting down, $1,750,000 PLUS a new motor home. Winnebago actually changed their manuals as a result of this suit, just in case Mrs. Grazinski has any relatives who might also buy a motor home.

http://www.all-top-10-lists.com/7-top-stupid-lawsuits-that-won-big-money/2009/07/

That cap is only on economic damage and 10 billion is insane.:beatdeadhorse:

BP has paid out 450 million so far...with a bunch left to come

The 10 billion bs will simply raise energy prices and is a political stunt,much like the Florida request for millions to advertise

I have no idea why you routinely insist on getting screwed by the oil companies. Very strange.

They break it, they buy it. There is nothing more fair than that. BP should fully fund the clean up operation. Every penny the taxpayer spends to clean up their mess should be directly invoiced to them.

This will not raise energy prices at all. BP will still be forced to compete with Exxon etc. If this plays out anything like the Valdez, BP will likely have 10 years or more to pay this off. This merely decreases their profits - and not even by that much. $10 billion is roughly 1/2 a year's profit for them.

Archived