Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LAX UPDATED 2nd round loss. missed States by one game

rdsknbill

http://www.gametimepa.com/ci_15027457

We just finished up our regular season last night with a HUGE victory over our rival Dallastown. Avenging an early season 1 goal loss. Gave the kids the rest of the week of, as we have 10 days to prepare for the first round of District 3 playoffs. Our goal is to get to, and advance through, the state tournament.

I couldn't be more proud of MY BOYS!

• 2 weeks later...

States was awarded All-American honors and will attend VMI to play Div1 lax

Gemmill got Academic All American and will attend Drexel on an academic scholarship

http://www.gametimepa.com/ci_15113510

All season the Red Lion boys' lacrosse defense has stood tall.

They've teamed with an offense that has posted impressive numbers as the team won the Division I title.

On Tuesday night in their Division 3 first-round game against Cumberland Valley, the Lions' offense was clicking on all cylinders. But it was the defense that stood out in Red Lion's 12-4 win.

"My defense was unbelievable," Red Lion head coach Bill Simms said. "They were eating up groundballs and my defensive captain Brad Sisson shut down their All-American (Nate) Pendleton, and that's not an easy thing to do."

The win moves the No. 5-seeded Lions to the quarterfinal round against fourth-seeded Manheim Township on Saturday at a site and time to be determined.

Just how good was the Lions (11-2) defense?

After allowing two goals in the first period, the Lions gave up just two more over the final 36 minutes. During those final three periods, the Lions outscored the No. 12 Eagles, 11-2.

"Our defense has been our unsung heroes all year," Simms said. "We have a lot of contributing kids on this team. It's not all based on one player."

Four Red Lion players scored goals, led by Steve States' four tallies and two assists. On his second goal of the night at 6:39 of the third period, States scored an eye-popping marker. The senior came down the right side of the field and sort of twisted in mid-air, backhanding his shot past Eagles goalie Eli Long.

"I was expecting to

Advertisement

get hit," States said. "I just wanted to turn and throw. I had no idea where the goal was, I just knew it was behind me, so I just figured I'd take my chances."

That goal gave the Lions an 8-3 lead as the offense caught fire. Joel Gemmill scored three goals of his own and assisted on two others. Branden Kessler posted two goals and three assists, while Alex Lloyd added three goals for Red Lion.

The Lions know the defense they showed will need to continue in order to advance farther in the postseason.

"We're so deep on long pole, its difficult to get a lot of kids playing time," Simms said. "I played defense when I played, and I'm a stickler about defense. My goaltending (Nick Buras) was phenomenal."

The Lions, who before Tuesday hadn't played since May 5, won't have to wait that long again. On Saturday, Red Lion will try to advance past the quarterfinal round, which is where they got knocked out in last year's tournament.

"The kids were chomping at the bit to play somebody," Simms said.

States, who is among a core group of seniors, wants this year to end differently for the Lions.

"Last year wasn't fun (losing to Carlisle in the quarterfinals)," States said. "We want to make it to states, that's the big motivation."

The Eagles (13-6) were lead by Lance Morgan's two goals, while Pendleton was held to just one tally.

Ease up, Bill. :)

Somehow I missed this today, or I would've posted earlier. And just so you know, though I don't always post, I've followed your posts about the team all season on Facebook.

Congratulations, keep it rolling, and for God's sake, go have a beer, buddy. :cheers:

http://www.gametimepa.com/ci_15027457

We just finished up our regular season last night with a HUGE victory over our rival Dallastown. Avenging an early season 1 goal loss. Gave the kids the rest of the week of, as we have 10 days to prepare for the first round of District 3 playoffs. Our goal is to get to, and advance through, the state tournament.

I couldn't be more proud of MY BOYS!

nice work, bill. except for the beating dallastown part. must have been lucky.

seriously though, has dallastown improved to be a legit rival, or are they just rivals because of proximity? just curious because last time i heard from you about this, d-town was a joke in lax.

anyway, good luck! not sure how i missed this the first time around.

nice work, bill. except for the beating dallastown part. must have been lucky.

seriously though, has dallastown improved to be a legit rival, or are they just rivals because of proximity? just curious because last time i heard from you about this, d-town was a joke in lax.

anyway, good luck! not sure how i missed this the first time around.

No Dallastown is still weak. The officiating in the first game was some of the worst I have seen in 8 years. They are training these "cross-over" officials from football to ref lax games. Learning process, but bad judgment to put "newbies" on a rivalry game like that

Well, we ran into THE perennial power house Manheim Township over the weekend, and just couldn't get anything going against these guys. The team came out flat and just made poor decisions with regards to ball possession. They took it to us. 14-2

On a bright note. I had three players make first team ALL District. I also had two players make All American (voted in by the 45 coaches in our District). The first one was Steve States. He will be attending VMI on an ROTC scholarship and will be playing lacrosse there as well. He is the first Division 1 player out of our league EVER! Team captain and over all GREAT kid.

Joel Gemmill is my Academic All- American. He scored 1440 on his SAT's. He is a quiet warrior that was by far my most cerebral player. Not a big guy, but scored over 30 goals this season by being "in the right place at the right time". He will be attending Drexel University on an academic scholarship.

Very proud of all of my players and especially these two that were awarded the highest honor given at our banquet.

Archived