Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Question about Termites

robotfire

So we just had our bathroom remodeled. At one point, a pipe burst and water went under the house (into the crawl space). It was previously completely dry under there, and the water isn't touching any wood or anything. Is the water under there just going to dry up, or will it attract termites somehow? I'm a serious worrier about typically benign things, but termites freak me out pretty good. Should I be worried, or will it just dry up like the contractor says?

yes, the water will dry up. Your crawlspace most likely is a dirt / gravel floor with plastic over top. Actually, most older homes don't have plastic.

So if it does have plastic, it will simply evaporate. If it doesn't, it just soaks into the ground.

If the water didn't touch wood you have nothing to worry about. Even if it did, still wouldn't be a big deal. It would dry. What causes mold and termites is prolonged exposure to water

yes, the water will dry up. Your crawlspace most likely is a dirt / gravel floor with plastic over top. Actually, most older homes don't have plastic.

So if it does have plastic, it will simply evaporate. If it doesn't, it just soaks into the ground.

If the water didn't touch wood you have nothing to worry about. Even if it did, still wouldn't be a big deal. It would dry. What causes mold and termites is prolonged exposure to water

Zoony, best mod ever. Thanks!

[funny picture]:pfft:
I realize you're just joking, so this isn't directed at you (in fact, please take this as a light-hearted rant anyway). But I've seen other people who really do get angry when people "kiss up" to the mods. I don't get it. They provide a service for us, completely free, and I gain literally nothing by saying thanks for it. What extra are they going to do for me? Give me internet points somehow?? They provide free stuff out of the kindness of their hearts. The least we can do is offer a free thank you every once in a while and try not to make their jobs harder by being idiots. Me personally, I don't have much to offer here except my riveting termite threads. Again, not directed at you, and this is meant to be light-hearted, but it's just something I've never really understood.

Do you have ants outside in the grass? Those mounds are a good signal. Ants don't typically inhabit the same area as termites.

I remind myself of that every summer as I get annoyed at the number of freaking ant mounds in our house and as I have to replace the ant traps near our windows. Of course reminding my wife and myself not to leave dirty dishes on the counter also helps.

Pretty much all of Virginia is "known" for termites. I cannot speak directly for Lake Ridge, but I have seen some really bad termite damage throughout northern VA (I used to do pest control for a living). If you have a yard (trees, grass, etc) then chances are you already have termites on your property. Gbear mentioned ant mounds - this can give some indication but is far from full proof. I saw houses with termite damage inside and ant problems outside. A better sign would be swarmers in the spring - they look very similar to flying ants to most homeowners.

As to whether or not the termite contract is worth it...eh. In my opinion, it is much better to go ahead and either a) get the treatment done up front or B) go with a system such as Sentricon which is basically an early-warning setup (stations are set around the house in a pattern and then checked once a month for termite activity) plus baiting treatment. Honestly, I would go with just having the treatment done - more money upfront, but ends up costing the same over time compared to stations.

The contracts are fine once if you have a history of termite issues, or a treament was done years ago and the chems are nearing the end of their effectivness. I just kinda view them like car insurance - ya, will help ya if you get into an accident, but would have been better to avoid the accident in the first place.

then chances are you already have termites on your property. Gbear mentioned ant mounds - this can give some indication but is far from full proof. I saw houses with termite damage inside and ant problems outside.

As to whether or not the termite contract is worth it...eh. In my opinion, it is much better to go ahead and either a) get the treatment done up front or B) go with a system such as Sentricon which is basically an early-warning setup (stations are set around the house in a pattern and then checked once a month for termite activity) plus baiting treatment. Honestly, I would go with just having the treatment done - more money upfront, but ends up costing the same over time compared to stations.

Do not go with those Sentricon bait stations. If you do have termites already, they won't be so attracted to those things that they'll stop eating whatever it is they're dining on and head for the bait stations.

(I worked in the pest control business for years; my best friend owns a termite company, which has been in business since 1965.)

I called him, and this is how he explains it.

If you're sitting down enjoying a fine meal, you're not going to get up from that meal, and run across the street to another restaurant that's also serving a fine meal. Same deal with the termites. They're not going to stop eating your house, and run to the bait stations.

Even worse, is that if you don't have termites, those "stations" can attract them. They're also expensive.

If it makes you feel better, get the house treated and opt for the annual contract, ($300.00 sounds high).

Termite treatments are typically guaranteed for one year. They will, however, extend the guarantee each year, with an annual service contract. You should note that the guarantee is that the termites don't come back, not for any subsequent damage that they may cause if they do come back. i.e. all they do is re-treat for termites.

Prices vary...so it pays to shop around.

Good luck!

Archived