Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Ready to embrace the McNabb era

themurf

Donovan McNabb-QB-Redskins Apr. 6 - 5:33 pm et

The 2011 conditional fourth-round pick acquired by the Eagles in the Donovan McNabb trade escalates to a third-round pick if McNabb makes the Pro Bowl this year.

It can also improve to a third-rounder if the Redskins win nine games and McNabb plays at least 70 percent of the offensive play. McNabb hasn't been to the Pro Bowl since 2004, but the second requirement is realistic if he avoids injury this season.

Source: ESPN.com

I'm not a hockey fanatic so I certainly would not do you much good in that debate. But, why was the emphasis on rebuilding much like Ted Leonsis did even bought up in your article in which you commended on the pick-up of McNabb?

All things being equal, I would love my favorite sports teams to follow the blueprint laid out by the Capitals. They've proven that their way gets results and while it was difficult for fans to embrace initially, the team was open and honest throughout the process and the fans ultimately saw the payoff (i.e. - three years and counting of some of the best D.C. has seen from any of their sports teams in a long, long time).

All things still being equal, I hate when a team as flawed as the Redskins, who last I checked went 4-12 a year ago, think they're only one player away from winning a title. Instead of admitting that their plan is fundamentally flawed, they just keep piling old players onto the roster and pray things break their way so they can back into the playoffs and lose in round one. For years the Redskins were dishonest with themselves and with their paying customers by thinking they have a chance to do anything while trotting out top-heavy rosters with no depth whatsoever.

Now, the one variable in all of this is Donovan McNabb. He's a proven commodity who no one realistically thought had a chance of playing in Washington this year. His credentials stack up comparably to most quarterbacks in the NFL today. So throwing him into the mix takes this team into uncharted territory (although some are already convinced he's more likely to be Mark Brunell 2.0 rather than John Elway 2.0)

The Redskins very well could end up suffering the same fate as every other recent season - failing to achieve any of the goals they set out to because their team still lacks youth, depth and other key ingredients. Or, they could surprise some folks and end up in the top half of the NFL next season. No one knows for sure. But because of McNabb, I'm not willing to write this team off like I would have if they went the same exact route without him.

McNabb is the QB that can and does throw the ball long if you let the WRs get behind you. That stretches the field for the Shanny Jnr running game he is employing. He is also the QB that can learn the plays and see all the open guys when Shanny Jnr is calling the plays.

With him there shizzle will work. Outside of him all we've done is swap one bunch of older expensive players for older yet better and cheaper players.

If we keep dealing picks for old guys then we are same old **** stage. That hasn't happened yet and I don't think it will. McNabb makes the dream legit for the players to buy into Shanahan and his win expectant attitude. The most I expect would be something like trading JC and packaging whatever we get with one of our later picks for a Gaither type player. Other than that I don't expect any big trades for players coming in (maybe going out though). As a fan of keeping JC and draft a LT and RT McNabb sets the tone on the field and I fully understand and approve lol Just hoping I don't have reason to look back an have a doh moment at this post, we are the Redskins......

EDIT: And I watched a few Washington hockey games on ESPN and they look pretty good, plus a tight nit group. Must be to have so many guys getting sin binned leaving them a man or two down and still win. I can understand holding up whatever was done to achieve that as a good example. I've seen some highlights of what Ovechkin (sp?) can do on around the NHL or something similar sounding. He sets the tone, let's hope McNabb stays healthy to do that for the Redskins.

We should have stick with a Teddy's advice. We needed those picks to build. Not to add a 33 year old QB with mounting injury concerns and a history of choking when it means the most.

u have to remember shannahan came to the broncos when elway was about the same age and they both won a superbowl together a couple years later....neither one had won previously....also isnt it better to have a top 5-7 QB then draft a new oneand wait and see what happens???:eaglesuck

Im still on the fence on this trade for McNabb! I myself think we needed everyone of those draft picks that we had.Now if we go out and make some trades to get MORE draft picks then I will like the trade BUT if we stay put with only four draft picks this draft then I will be pissed.

The expressions of the players interesting. When CSN showed Cooley he had a expression of no sure what to think. Portis looked like sort of like Cooley. Many of the players had a expression of confusion.

You're reading into a whole lot of nothing. The only thing you need to know about those players is that they were excited enough about the move to be there for the press conference. They made it a point to be in attendance to show their support - even a guy like Carlos Rogers who wanted to be let go earlier this year and considers Campbell one of his closest friends was there. That says more than whatever expression they had on their face whenever a TV camera decided to shoot them.

After all, Leonsis and friends consciously made the decision to take a veteran Caps team that was good enough to make the playoffs, but not do anything once they got there, and blow it up. Simply achieving mediocrity wasn’t acceptable. Leonsis asked for patience from his team’s fanbase. He promised that they had a five-year plan which focused on building through the draft. The Capitals took their lumps for a few years, but they stockpiled young, inexpensive talent and let the team grow together. Down the road, the Caps then thought about adding select free agents, but only after a solid foundation was already in place.

OK, so I agree that the Caps were built the correct way and wish the skins would follow suit. The problem is that the Caps went out of the playoffs too early last year. It was the worst thing that could happen to the skins because, had Leonsis won, it would have shown Snyder that this was absolutely the best way to go. Since the Caps were bounced, Snyder could look and, in essence say, "how's that slow rebuilding thing working out for you?" Now, if the Caps win this year the reply would be "just fine thanks!!" and we will all benefit. So for the sake of the Skins, we need a Stanley Cup in Washington.

OK, so I agree that the Caps were built the correct way and wish the skins would follow suit. The problem is that the Caps went out of the playoffs too early last year. It was the worst thing that could happen to the skins because, had Leonsis won, it would have shown Snyder that this was absolutely the best way to go. Since the Caps were bounced, Snyder could look and, in essence say, "how's that slow rebuilding thing working out for you?" Now, if the Caps win this year the reply would be "just fine thanks!!" and we will all benefit. So for the sake of the Skins, we need a Stanley Cup in Washington.

Year one the Caps got hot during the last two weeks of the season and snuck into the playoffs on the final day of the regular season. They lost in the first round. Last year the team was much improved, won it's second-straight divisional title and advanced to the second round of the playoffs. They lost in Game 7 to the eventual champs. This year, the Capitals won their division, their conference and will finish with the best record in hockey.

The core of the team is 25 and under, which means this team is built to be competitive for the long haul. There is no acceptable argument against what they went about completely turning that franchise from an afterthought to the cream of the crop. Even Snyder himself was forced to acknowledge the Caps. He sent a letter of congrats to Leonsis when they locked up the Presidents' Trophy.

Now, if only he'd have Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan give George McPhee and Bruce Boudreau a phone call to take notes on how they made it happen ...

I don’t know who the folks that are against this trade expected to play quarterback this year. Shanahan couldn’t move fast enough to obtain a replacement for Jason. Some people will say that he wasn’t actively looking for a replacement and that Donovan just happened to become available. I don’t believe that to be the case. I don’t believe that Shanahan ever had any intentions of Jason being the starter. I believe that he was always, and still may be, targeting a quarterback at 4 or before the trade, at 37. I just don’t believe that Shanahan was comfortable with the potential of starting a rookie quarterback and a rookie left tackle.

It’s too early to tell what we will do at 4 with any certainty. It depends on trades and what picks or players we may acquire. I think that the ideal scenario for Shanahan is to obtain a quarterback as early as possible in the draft and have him sit for one or two years behind Donovan. If it’s not with the 4th pick hopefully we will have obtained a second or third rounder by draft day. Jason, as the starting quarterback, was just never an option for Shanahan.

Who said McNabb is the only QB we will be signing? I'd rather have McNabb teaching a young back-up QB vs. our previous starter. I like the idea that the whole team's chemistry is changing. Maybe it will put everyone on report that no job is safe if you don't perform.

I love this article and LOVE THIS TRADE. Brilliant move by the Skins... it's too easy to call this trade a "same old Redskins move"... this is different because the Skins STOLE McNabb... and history will show this to be one of the best trades in Redskins history IMO. McNabb went to a Super Bowl and 5 NFC Championships and him not winning a SB is the key. He's as hungry for it as you can be and will get it now with all the mental baggage gone from Philly. It's a perfect setup for a Super Bowl victory.

Archived