Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Ready to embrace the McNabb era

themurf

mcnabb040610.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

Those who have been around a while know by now that Homer McFanboy is a disciple of Ted Leonsis. That is to say, when the Washington Capitals owner speaks, we listen.

When Teddy Logon, who seemingly has found a way to succeed at every challenge he’s taken on, shares how he thinks a franchise should be built, we don’t question him.

After all, Leonsis and friends consciously made the decision to take a veteran Caps team that was good enough to make the playoffs, but not do anything once they got there, and blow it up. Simply achieving mediocrity wasn’t acceptable. Leonsis asked for patience from his team’s fanbase. He promised that they had a five-year plan which focused on building through the draft. The Capitals took their lumps for a few years, but they stockpiled young, inexpensive talent and let the team grow together. Down the road, the Caps then thought about adding select free agents, but only after a solid foundation was already in place.

In related news, the Capitals just secured the first Presidents’ Trophy in franchise history and will have home-ice advantage throughout the playoffs.

Conversely, we have Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder. While he’s been able to find success in many other avenues in life, his football franchise has been mediocre for the majority of his ownership. Although Snyder is much less comfortable in the public spotlight than Leonsis, his mantra has always seemed to be “money equals wins.”

The Redskins front office, especially with Vinny Cerrato calling the shots, always seemingly believed they were one player away from competing with the big boys. That’s translated into an aggressive approach to trades and free agency. It also translated into a de-emphasizing of the draft. Why worry about tomorrow when we can win today?

Anyone remotely familiar with the Redskins knows how this has played out. Because of their flawed mentality, the ‘Skins are always top heavy. Big-name players sit atop of the roster, but because of the salary cap, there was little money left over for the bottom half of the depth chart.

That means, if a talented player like Chris Samuels or Randy Thomas gets hurt and misses any significant amount of playing time, the Redskins are suddenly asking below average backups to play above their skill level. Basically, there’s no depth and no safety net. If folks stay healthy and they catch a few breaks, the Redskins can back their way into the playoffs. But more times than not, The Danny is left on the outside looking in come January.

Which brings us to today. Logic suggests that the Redskins, coming off of a 4-12 season, might benefit from Leonsis’ guidance. “If your team isn’t good enough to win it all, then blow it up and start again.” Head coach Mike Shanahan and general manager Bruce Allen are proven commodities that will pacify a previously distraught fanbase, so it would make sense if they opted to clean house and rebuild the franchise from the ground up.

That looked to be the case when established veterans such as Antwaan Randle El, Ladell Betts, Fred Smoot, Cornelius Griffin, Rock Cartwright, Randy Thomas and Todd Collins were abruptly released. And yet, that’s not how things have played out.

Instead, seemingly every new addition during this offseason has been at or above the age of 30: offensive lineman Artis Hicks (31), defensive tackle Ma’ake Kemoeatu (31), cornerback Phillip Buchanon (29), punter Josh Bidwell (34), quarterback Rex Grossman (29), running backs Larry Johnson (30) and Willie Parker (29), meaning the words “Redskins” and “rebuild” have yet to be formally introduced.

And then, on Easter Sunday, the team made the most shocking move of all – acquiring Pro Bowl quarterback Donovan F. McNabb from the Philadelphia Eagles for a couple draft picks. While it still seems that the team is content to slap a band-aid on a much larger wound, things instantly become much more interesting for the burgundy and gold. The roster still has several areas of need, but there’s no denying that this trade instantly makes the Redskins better than they were 48 hours earlier. Even without an offensive line, you can see fans starting to talk themselves into next season already. That’s what happens when you bring in a player of McNabb’s stature.

Click here for full article.

Good article as always Murf....and quite an interesting point that I didn't think of..

The Redskins front office knew with 100 percent certainty that the Eagles weren’t going to take on his massive contract, but our hunch is they threw him in an offer anyway – if for no other reason than to say, “Get with the program or we’ll happily move forward without you.”

Sigh. You're a typical Skins fan, Murphy. You talk out of both sides of your mouth. You are a Leonsis-disciple, but the team trots out its big-name, past-his-prime, off-season acquisition and you go giddy and abandon the Leonsis plan in a heartbeat. You know better, but you can't help yourself.

Well, until this move, it was "lets see what we have" and competition. Getting McNabb pretty much says to me, **** competition, we have McNabb ****es. Not that McNabb's value will be THAT great in 3 years, when we will probably need to find a replacement. That's a pretty short "era" IMO.

Whilst this looks a familiar scene, it might not be. With McNabb we will know for sure re: the rest of the O. No blaming JC. If this is the only 'picks for older players' we do I think it is a legit way to see what we have this season re WRs etc. We do it again (give up picks for an older guy, who would be a non QB to boot) and we're looking forward to the next FO shake up a few years down the line.....

Nice read as usual, murf, keep up the great work... I've got one paragraph in particular to comment on:

Instead, seemingly every new addition during this offseason has been at or above the age of 30: offensive lineman Artis Hicks (31), defensive tackle Ma’ake Kemoeatu (31), cornerback Phillip Buchanon (29), punter Josh Bidwell (34), quarterback Rex Grossman (29), running backs Larry Johnson (30) and Willie Parker (29), meaning the words “Redskins” and “rebuild” have yet to be formally introduced.

What you failed to mention here is that every single one of those guys signed are tied to contracts that are harmless in terms of a future cap, nor will their contracts impede us in anyway if we deem them expendable. Basically, they aren't even guaranteed a spot on the team. That alone is a huge change for us in how we used to sign these kind of guys.

Why wouldn't you sign as many of those guys, especially considering they cost us nothing in terms of draft picks, that you can with that in mind? I'd sign another 100 of these types, then draft the best players I can, and go from there. I can cut who I want and move forward with who I want, keeping all factors in mind, including age, so why wouldn't I do that?

I just don't think it's comparable to previous signings of so-called "over the hill" players, feel me? :)

Well, until this move, it was "lets see what we have" and competition. Getting McNabb pretty much says to me, **** competition, we have McNabb ****es. Not that McNabb's value will be THAT great in 3 years, when we will probably need to find a replacement. That's a pretty short "era" IMO.

Like I said, if given the choice, I would always like to see my favorite teams build with long-term vision. It's smarter and cheaper to build with you guys who can grow together and in the end you really end up with a team mentality because those guys went through their growing pains together.

But McNabb is honestly a player no one ever thought the 'Skins would have a chance to get. He's a top-10 talent and when you can get a player like that, I really think you have to.

What you failed to mention here is that every single one of those guys signed are tied to contracts that are harmless in terms of a future cap, nor will their contracts impede us in anyway if we deem them expendable. Basically, they aren't even guaranteed a spot on the team. That alone is a huge change for us in how we used to sign these kind of guys.

Why wouldn't you sign as many of those guys, especially considering they cost us nothing in terms of draft picks, that you can with that in mind? I'd sign another 100 of these types, then draft the best players I can, and go from there. I can cut who I want and move forward with who I want, keeping all factors in mind, including age, so why wouldn't I do that?

I just don't think it's comparable to previous signings of so-called "over the hill" players, feel me? :)

There's really no debate - if you're going to be active in free agency, it's wise to target players who fill specific needs and in a perfect world sign them to smaller, incentive-based deals. I really do wish this team cared about the draft or at least did a better job pretending they cared more about the draft, but in the absence of that, I'll settle for this approach.

"They’re still sacrificing long-term in hopes of winning now, but in this one case, we’re willing to give them a pass."

Not all of us.

The Honeymoon is now over, I was willing to endure a rebuilding process. But I guess we're not committed to doing it. So if the mentality is now once again "win now", well they had damn well better or the fans should shower this regime with the same boos we showered on Snyderratto.

But McNabb is honestly a player no one ever thought the 'Skins would have a chance to get. He's a top-10 talent and when you can get a player like that, I really think you have to.

It would make more sense if we were the Vikings who already had a good team and a coaching staff who knew what their needs were. It makes less sense for us where there are many questions and some additional ones created by the new coaching staff.

Also, while you call McNabb a top-10 talent, the question is, for how much longer? Also, how is that talent going to hold up with our OL? He didn't hold up well in Philly, where he was always missing time with injuries.

In some ways, this is Brunell all over again. I'm also seeing way too much of Gibbs II here, which makes me nervous that we are yet again not building a long-term winner here. Personally, I'd rather have that than a one-and-done SB team.

The Honeymoon is now over, I was willing to endure a rebuilding process. But I guess we're not committed to doing it. So if the mentality is now once again "win now", well they had damn well better or the fans should shower this regime with the same boos we showered on Snyderratto.

In today's NFL, there is no such thing as "rebuilding". You basically have a couple of years to build a winner or else you are out. That being said, I don't think this was necessary.

It would make more sense if we were the Vikings who already had a good team and a coaching staff who knew what their needs were. It makes less sense for us where there are many questions and some additional ones created by the new coaching staff.

Also, while you call McNabb a top-10 talent, the question is, for how much longer? Also, how is that talent going to hold up with our OL? He didn't hold up well in Philly, where he was always missing time with injuries.

In some ways, this is Brunell all over again. I'm also seeing way too much of Gibbs II here, which makes me nervous that we are yet again not building a long-term winner here. Personally, I'd rather have that than a one-and-done SB team.

I agree it'd be better for everyone if we woke up tomorrow and the Redskins and Vikings had swapped rosters. Just not sure they'd be thrilled with it. hehehe. I'm going to root for the 'Skins regardless of what they do, but it's impossible to ignore that the team is essentially saying they don't need a grace period that we were all more than ready to give them. Clearly 8-8 or worse is unacceptable when you go out of your way to collect a stack of 30-year-olds.

I can't compare this to Brunell, if for no other reason than I don't want to bum myself out. None of us know if this will play out that way or will be more like Drew Brees moving on to bigger and better things. But we all agree - it's going to be fun to watch them again. Much more fun than it was a year ago.

I agree it'd be better for everyone if we woke up tomorrow and the Redskins and Vikings had swapped rosters. Just not sure they'd be thrilled with it. hehehe. I'm going to root for the 'Skins regardless of what they do, but it's impossible to ignore that the team is essentially saying they don't need a grace period that we were all more than ready to give them. Clearly 8-8 or worse is unacceptable when you go out of your way to collect a stack of 30-year-olds.

I wouldn't say that they went out of their way to do that (McNabb excepted), but it was what was available. If there were better options, the team would have been perusing it. There are holes that needed to be filled somehow.

As for 8-8 not being acceptable, I think many on here were expecting much worse. Whether or not it was "acceptable" to them depends if they are being hypocrites or not. Too many say that they'd accept a team that sucks if it means that they could potentially get better later, but I don't think many would actually accept that. Fans are poor losers, even when they know they are going to lose.

It would have been acceptable to me because I have the understanding that the new staff would have to evaluate what they had and what they need for the future. This move means that one position isn't going to get evaluated, at least this season. So much for "competition".

I can't compare this to Brunell, if for no other reason than I don't want to bum myself out. None of us know if this will play out that way or will be more like Drew Brees moving on to bigger and better things. But we all agree - it's going to be fun to watch them again. Much more fun than it was a year ago.

We have that hope every year. So far it hasn't panned out. And again, McNabb is closer to Brunell than to Brees. The more apt comparison is to guys like Favre, Montana and Bledsoe. Even there the results are pretty mixed.

Hey this may all prove to be "deja vu!" - but I really get tired of "hashing around" all of things we did wrong yesterday - I don't believe there's just ONE WAY of putting together a successful team! Our track record doesn't provide any "warm fuzzies" about the way we've done things in the past but let's give this Front Office the benefit of the doubt! Perhaps they might really know what they're doing! Perhaps they have a half way decent plan that fits the Skins with a "winnable" time table. Perhaps all of the maneuvering is no where close to being done. Perhaps they really have learned from past mistakes; It's only APRIL!!!!!

Does Shanny really appear to be some "fly by night" Pee Wee League coach without an idea of how to win football games or put together a football team??

The worst that can happen is that we have to start all over again in a few years. We've dealt with mediocrity and mendacity for so long, . . what's a few more years amongst friends?!?!?!

For years we've moaned and groaned about getting a General Manager - Now we've got one!! We've moaned and groaned about getting a half way decent coach with a "winning pedigree" - Now we've got one!! Now we're all sitting around in our LazyBoy Recliners upset that the "powers that be" aren't doing things the way we think they should be done!!! Let's at least give this thing a chance to play out - I've never seen so many "the sky is falling" pessimists in my life!!!

The last time I looked, neither Murf or Leonsis owned the Skins! We may not like it or agree with it and we may all think we've got a better idea - but the guy paying the bills - right, wrong or indifferent - is the one who is going to decide how to spend his money!!

When you've got as much money as Dan has - then you can go out and buy whatever you want and run it how ever you well please!! Anyway - when you've got that kind of money - I don't really think you give a s___ about what anyone else thinks!

Winning cures all ailments.

I do not care how this team is built whether it be through a draft or FAs. Remember FA can be fundamentally sound if handled and approached correctly. In my opinion, Shanahan/ Allen have done this all the while having a plan in placed.

You all say that you want a rebuilding process, why can't it be rebuilt with the right players and better coaches rather than the status quo?!

Ted Leonsis got lucky when he landed AO and then all of a sudden his way of doing business became a calling. The players are what make the owners and coaches appear competent by their own standards.

Edit: The Patriots have been using our model for years but where we lacked in smart football people and a quaterback, they became the rule and envy.

... He's a top-10 talent and when you can get a player like that, I really think you have to...

I don't have much confidence in QB rankings, but those at Football Outsiders are more intelligently compiled than the NFL rankings.

They had McNabb at #16 and Campbell at #20 for 2009.

We should have stick with a Teddy's advice. We needed those picks to build. Not to add a 33 year old QB with mounting injury concerns and a history of choking when it means the most.

I've watched a lot of Eagles games with McNabb. I've never seen him choke as some claim. You sound like those idiot Eagles fans on their message board...

I don't have much confidence in QB rankings, but those at Football Outsiders are more intelligently compiled than the NFL rankings.

They had McNabb at #16 and Campbell at #20 for 2009.

Many people look at that as I'm thinking you're looking at it suggesting that McNabb is not that much better than Campbell. I think McNabb was hendered in Philly due to an offensive scheme that refused to run. Philly beat mediocore teams last year but good teams they struggled. Good teams, like Dallas, shut the offense down. Not because McNabb choked... But when you're passing every down with no intentions of running then its easier to defend even though you have an explosive guy like Jackson. Watch Kevin Kolb get crushed and creamed this year. McNabb was #16 because Philly's offensive scheme was predictable.

Edit: The Patriots have been using our model for years but where we lacked in smart football people and a quaterback, they became the rule and envy.

100% correct on that one!

Ted Leonsis got lucky when he landed AO and then all of a sudden his way of doing business became a calling. The players are what make the owners and coaches appear competent by their own standards.

Open up a new browser and check out the Caps record this season in games without Ovechkin this season. Go ahead. I'll wait.

Last I checked, they were 7-2-1 without him. They win with him. They win without him. What do both of these things have in common - they win.

There is so much depth on the Capitals, that on most nights they sit four healthy players that would easily be good enough to play elsewhere. The Caps have the best record in the NHL. Everywhere you look players - gasp, even those who don't play on a line with Ovechkin - are setting career highs for goals, points, etc.

Oh, and their minor league team, the Hershey Bears, won the Calder Cup last year and have the best record in the AHL again this year. But yeah, Leonsis is full of it and his team only wins because he got lucky and landed Ovechkin.

Maybe you want to stay away from hockey talk. Clearly you're in over your head and talking out of another part of your body.

Open up a new browser and check out the Caps record this season in games without Ovechkin this season. Go ahead. I'll wait.

Last I checked, they were 7-2-1 without him. They win with him. They win without him. What do both of these things have in common - they win.

There is so much depth on the Capitals, that on most nights they sit four healthy players that would easily be good enough to play elsewhere. The Caps have the best record in the NHL. Everywhere you look players - gasp, even those who don't play on a line with Ovechkin - are setting career highs for goals, points, etc.

Oh, and their minor league team, the Hershey Bears, won the Calder Cup last year and have the best record in the AHL again this year. But yeah, Leonsis is full of it and his team only wins because he got lucky and landed Ovechkin.

Maybe you want to stay away from hockey talk. Clearly you're in over your head and talking out of another part of your body.

I'm not a hockey fanatic so I certainly would not do you much good in that debate. But, why was the emphasis on rebuilding much like Ted Leonsis did even bought up in your article in which you commended on the pick-up of McNabb?

...McNabb was #16 because Philly's offensive scheme was predictable.

So, you are saying that McNabb at #16 and Campbell at #20 makes it appear that there wasn't much difference between them, but that Jim Zorn gave Campbell a much better offensive scheme to work with than Andy Reid gave McNabb?

Archived