Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cnn.com: Obama makes unannounced trip to Afghanistan

#98QBKiller

Thats my point, why go to that level?

You're asking ME that question? Maybe you should talk to the right-wingers, NOT me. I am merely pointing out what may of them would think, judging from their language.

When right-wingers were cheering Kennedy's and Murtha's deaths, did you ask them that question? "Why did you go to that level?"

I doubt it, for some reason.

To hear the conservatives here, I would agree with you. I am sure many a right-wing is fantasizing about Obama's plane being shot down.

I'm going to call this a troll post. The context that followed is minimally redeeming, but I am going with the call and noting the derailing of the topic which we have said is getting out of hand in this forum again, and I am giving you a week off.

Yet perfectly acceptable...odd huh?

No, though context matters. And in that regard, I'm going to assume you meant no inference that a staff member may find problematic. :)

For those who would like to ingore the following ****y but heartfelt rant, please note I am doing the courtesy of giving you warning. :)

Just a few days ago, zoony and I were celebrating the quality of tailgate discussion. Yet, as I have always found it to be, the truth of a matter can include many apparently conflicting statements of description that can still be accurate at any time. :)

I would observe that it's also so that some of you (on all "sides") have really degenerated (yes, I may mean you) the last 6-12 months. It seems that all you see and wail about (whether in attack or defense) is the wart on your counterpart when you each resemble witchy crones complete with splintery broomsticks jammed somewhere in half the **** you post in these threads.

If some force went through the tailgate and weeded out everyone, right, left, or other, that posted semi-to-very-pathetic crap half the time in these threads, there would be a number of missing well-known names, as well as the expected lesser-known names.

I choose the outlook (pragmatic) that this is part of the price of having as open and inclusive a forum as possible where social/political/religious topics are open to anyone who pulls up a chair and remains within the rules. In 3D setting's, you can be more selective (if you wish) about who you engage in serious topical discussions. On the intertubz, it's one table for all types.

People behaving like dip****s in all their myriad partisan-to-wingnut manners are going to be part of the deal.

And I sure as **** ain't talking about "passionate" or "spirited" debate.

I'm talking about adult men spewing stupid, ill-informed, reactionary, and argumentative crap under the delusion they're "really the smart ones" while often acting like *******s in the bargain.

I am most disappointed when I see posters who I know can do better, and used to do better, willfully choose not to, while simultaneously continuing to look down their nose at others whom are doing no worse than themselves.

And a few of you really need to cease putting so many actually insincere smilies in EVERY ****ing post you make.

:mad:

^^^ (sincere smiley)

Now pardon me, while I go change out of my meany pants, which I didn't think I had grabbed on this otherwise beautiful Sunday morning.

Per the topic, I just saw O speaking, and thought it was one of his weaker efforts. The military crowd cheered a bit, but hardly with overwhelming enthusiasm. What I would call the typical self-serving political statements were received lukewarm even when structured to get applause. But the straightforward "success of mission" stuff was greeted with real enthusiasm.

Point taken, Jumbo. And I hope most everyone in the tailgate will wander in here and read it.

Again, I think this was just an effort to deflect attention from the healthcare issue. You know as POTUS that you've got a "captive" audience when addressing a group of servicemembers; and that they're going to be largely supportive. (And those that aren't won't be vocal about it.)

From a morale perspective, I appreciate his visit. I'm sure it's a special thing to hear the POTUS tell you he's proud and supportive of what you're doing. From a content perspective though, nothing to see here.

See my edit. And don't be ridiculous. You live in Richmond, so you know how many shots are fired there every day. The POLICE were the ones that corrected Cantor's statement with the FACTS of the situation. Since then Cantor has backpedaled from his LIE meant to try to associate some of the violence with Democrats. The fact that you are still buying into his original statement that his office was under attack or whatever is pretty sad.

I'm very well aware that this was in the police report. I don't know if a ballistics expert can tell exactly what angle a bullet struck a pane of glass, maybe they can. Even so, what are the chances a bullet is fired randomly up in the air and then happens to land right through his window. You have a better chance of winning the lottery than making that shot even if it were an accident. Why accuse Cantor of lying? He didn't lie about anything. The police report came out after he reported the incident.

EDIT: Just saw your post, Jumbo. I'll stop here if everyone else will as well.

From a morale perspective, I appreciate his visit. I'm sure it's a special thing to hear the POTUS tell you he's proud and supportive of what you're doing. From a content perspective though, nothing to see here.

I would assume it's cool to hear from the President politics aside. I hear they pass out disposable cameras to all of the soldiers.

I would assume it's cool to hear from the President politics aside. I hear they pass out disposable cameras to all of the soldiers.

Maybe so. If they do, that's pretty cool.

Honestly though, the one thing that surprised me a little was all of the BlackBerries and iPhones I saw the crowd holding up. Made me wonder a little bit about operational security, but I've been out of the Army for over seven years, so I'm probably ignorant on how all that works now.

Maybe so. If they do, that's pretty cool.

Honestly though, the one thing that surprised me a little was all of the BlackBerries and iPhones I saw the crowd holding up. Made me wonder a little bit about operational security, but I've been out of the Army for over seven years, so I'm probably ignorant on how all that works now.

What would your concerns be with the smart phones?

What would your concerns be with the smart phones?

The ability to send things like maps, and the possibility of communication being intercepted (phone conversations, etc.)

Like I said earlier though, I probably worry too much....about a lot of things. :)

The ability to send things like maps, and the possibility of communication being intercepted (phone conversations, etc.)

Like I said earlier though, I probably worry too much....about a lot of things. :)

I know what you mean, but you can never worry too much when it comes to POTUS security. If you don't worry about everything that could go wrong, you really aren't doing your job.

I know what you mean, but you can never worry too much when it comes to POTUS security. If you don't worry about everything that could go wrong, you really aren't doing your job.

Oh, no question.

I really wasn't concerned about the POTUS with the smart phones out there. I don't think Apple has an iPhone that fires lazer beams yet. :ols: I was thinking more in terms of the mission, and operations being compromised by someone sending out information that could be used against our troops. (Inadvertently or not.)

I'd hate to see someone's position given away by a ringtone too. But that's probably a reach.

While such events are usually as much about PR as actually aimed to serve troop morale or demonstrate foreign policy leadership on the world stage, sometimes it looks even more self-serving than "normal.". This is a time where his trip appears more of the politically self-serving posturing nature. That's a lot of risk for such motives, if so. Of course, there have been some recent successes in the region, including increased levels of cooperation and result via Pakistani involvement in anti-Taliban efforts, and the physical appearance of the president may be a part of supporting those efforts.

While such events are usually as much about PR as actually aimed to serve troop morale or demonstrate foreign policy leadership on the world stage, sometimes it looks even more self-serving than "normal.". This is a time where his trip appears more of the politically self-serving posturing nature. That's a lot of risk for such motives, if so. Of course, there have been some recent successes in the region, including increased levels of cooperation and result via Pakistani involvement in anti-Taliban efforts, and the physical appearance of the president may be a part of supporting those efforts.

Agreed.

From the perspective of the physical safety of the president (which should ALWAYS be priority #1) I don't like this trip. As I said, I also think it was pretty self-serving as an effort to deflect attention from healthcare.

But I do like it from the perspective of the men and women over there doing the work. I remember how cool it was to be addressed by a post-commanding major general. Being addressed by the POTUS would be just like that, but 100x better.

Oh, no question.

I really wasn't concerned about the POTUS with the smart phones out there. I don't think Apple has an iPhone that fires lazer beams yet. :ols: I was thinking more in terms of the mission, and operations being compromised by someone sending out information that could be used against our troops. (Inadvertently or not.)

I'd hate to see someone's position given away by a ringtone too. But that's probably a reach.

:ols: I thought you were referring to a rogue soldier like that doctor who murdered hospitalized soldiers at Ft. Hood who may have a map of the speaking area . . . I don't know. Haha. After watching 24 for two years, you start thinking anything could happen. And no, the marimba ringtone going off on a recon mission would not help. I don't know if the phone would even hold up with all the sand over there.

:ols: I thought you were referring to a rogue soldier like that doctor who murdered hospitalized soldiers at Ft. Hood who may have a map of the speaking area . . . I don't know. Haha. After watching 24 for two years, you start thinking anything could happen. And no, the marimba ringtone going off on a recon mission would not help. I don't know if the phone would even hold up with all the sand over there.

Yeah, anything's possible in this day and age unfortunately.

I was thinking, "I like big butts and I cannot lie...." :ols:

I also wouldn't agree that Obama is coming off the most successful week of his presidency. It was successful in that he got what he wanted passed. On the other hand, I think this could be the most destructive week for him. I don't think the American people are going to forget about this mess easily, and it could spell disaster for the Dems in November. It's too bad the elections aren't being held this coming week.

Maybe you should listen to some of the horrible things said about the President Obama by some on the right-wing, or has that somehow seemingly escaped your attention?

If I didn't know better I'd think you're projecting your own thoughts, but what hasn't escaped my mind was H. Clinton calling for his hit during the election.

I'm sick of this which side has the most evil in every thread. Evil people are on both sides.

From the perspective of the physical safety of the president (which should ALWAYS be priority #1) I don't like this trip. As I said, I also think it was pretty self-serving as an effort to deflect attention from healthcare.

But I do like it from the perspective of the men and women over there doing the work. I remember how cool it was to be addressed by a post-commanding major general. Being addressed by the POTUS would be just like that, but 100x better.

Agreed. I don't like this from the standpoint of the President's physical safety either. I've always been nervous seeing a President make a trip to a war area (although, as an adult, I've only really seen Bush and Obama do it).

I do like it from the perspective of support and moral-boosting with regard to the troops.

I do agree with others that this was partially planned for political motives, but I don't think it's to "deflect attention from healthcare" as much as it is to move on from healthcare. I realize that this could generally mean the same thing to some people and you may be making the same point, but IMO there is a difference. I think "deflecting" would indicate some sort of loss or shame on the healthcare front, when I think it's something Obama and Democrats are generally proud of.

I will take off my semantics hat now. :D

I think the visit is a good thing,the troops over there will get something from the CIC showing up no matter the politics.

The dangers are overstated and I can promise preparations were thorough.

Archived