Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fox's interview with President Obama.

Baculus

Seeing how we have made a recent topic of Fox's "fair and balanced" approach to news, I was surprised we haven't discussed Obama's appearance on that network. He was interviewed by Bret Baier, who, to put it lightly, was a bit contentious with the President.

Now, just to be fair, ThinProgress put together a video which contrasts Baier's Obama interview style with his previous interview with President Bush.

Let's take a look.

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/03/18/baier-bush-obama/

( I didn't know if this deserved its own thread, but the Fox News thread was several pages back, so . . . eh.)

I don't think anyone will accuse me of being particularly conservative :) and I'm not saying Fox isn't generally highly biased (because I think it is) but I do think there's a difference between interviewing a President on his way out and interviewing one a year in.

I don't think anyone will accuse me of being particularly conservative :) and I'm not saying Fox isn't generally highly biased (because I think it is) but I do think there's a difference between interviewing a President on his way out and interviewing one a year in.

yeah i agree with your assessment on the interview comparisons... Maybe if the used the Bush interview 2-3 years before he left office it would be a better comparison... However still it doesnt change the fact that that douche acted unprofessionally during the interview with Obama...

"Um, ummm, um, um", pause, pause, pause, "um, um, um." Obama please get all your facts straight about your "health [reform] proposal", it's not going to work, and the people don't like it! Become a better president and start serving the people rather than serving your (and Democrats) best interests...

"Um, ummm, um, um", pause, pause, pause, "um, um, um." Obama please get all your facts straight about your "health [reform] proposal", it's not going to work, and the people don't like it! Become a better president and start serving the people rather than serving your (and Democrats) best interests...

Point <-------

Your head <------

edit: and now that I'm about 80% through the entire interview, I really don't see what you're talking about. The President remained remarkably poised and articulate throughout, despite borderline hostile interview conditions. Seemed pretty... presidential. ;)

Actually Henry lately you've been leaning right and I might be off but I don't remember you being a Obama supporter. I'm going to have to ask to see your papers citizen. :ols:

As to your main point does it matter when this interview took place? You don't interrupt the President of the United States of America... you certainly don't interrupt him damn near every time he goes to answer a question. People treat football coaches with more respect than they just treated the President. The timing is irrelevant this interview was down right disrespectful. Obama should have walked out the third time he was interrupted. This douche decided to try to make a name for himself amongst conservatives with this interview, it was clearly a career move and that's just shameless.

Actually Henry lately you've been leaning right and I might be off but I don't remember you being a Obama supporter. I'm going to have to ask to see your papers citizen. :ols:

As to your main point does it matter when this interview took place? You don't interrupt the President of the United States of America... you certainly don't interrupt him damn near every time he goes to answer a question. People treat football coaches with more respect than they just treated the President. The timing is irrelevant this interview was down right disrespectful. Obama should have walked out the third time he was interrupted. This douche decided to try to make a name for himself amongst conservatives with this interview, it was clearly a career move and that's just shameless.

That was my exact feeling -- that Baier showed zero respect to the office or the man. In fact, it is rare that I have even any interview engaged in this matter, outside of some news opinion program.

This is the reason why I thought Baier was the worst choice for the interview. The guy has no class.

I think it's been clearly established that voting for this health care reform bill is not in the Dems' best interests.

Beyond that, I'm always amazed when people hate on Obama for pausing to make sure his statements are as accurate as possible. I could go hour after hour with the guy arguing against the stimulus package or the Big Three bailouts or his waffling on DADT, but if you believe his speaking method is a sign of stupidity, you're really, really trying to see that.

Did Obama even answer a single question what a joke
Do you think people don't notice you avoiding the interviewers behavior? For a party that thought Katie Couric was hard on Palin for daring to ask a follow up questions and generally hate the media, your willingness to overlook this is glaring.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brent-bozell/2010/03/18/kudos-fncs-baier-tough-interview-president-obama

Looks like Obama just plain couldnt answer teh the questions was he not allowed his telprompter?

Ugh thanks for the link.:doh:

Now I'm pissed I just added to that site's traffic counter, potentially getting them more money in advertising.

I feel dirty. Dirtier than when I watched the whole damn interview on foxnews.com earlier. Thanks.

Serious question though- is that really a site you frequent? God forbid, where you get your news?

Really? I've been leaning right?

Huh. Well, I am a moderate, so it does happen. :)

For what it's worth, I did end up voting for Obama, though I guess it's fair to say I'm not one of his staunchest supporters.

Oh I agree Baier conducted himself like an idiot.

I just think an exit interview is going to be vanilla. There's no point in grilling a man on his way out the door. And as such the comparison comes out flawed. Frankly, the Obama interview speaks for itself.

Apparently, Baier has said the interview was originally scheduled for 25 minutes, the WH cut it to 20, then when the President walked in the room he cut it to 15.. Under those circumstances, Baier did a fine job. The President had to get through a lot of questions in a short amount of time... Interuptions aside, it would've been lame if Baier just let Obama be too much of a windbag and soak up all the time.

If the person you are interviewing will not give an answer are you supposed to wait until he is done with his talking point and then ask the same question again? Obama never gives a straight answer (like most politicians) and if he wasnt interrupted the President would have only answered three questions in an hour.

also while fox leans right they do bring up valid points that you will not hear anywhere else. It's not wrong to question policy. For all you people who say fox is a right wing outlet what do you say about CNN, MSNBC, NBC, CBS, and ABC? do i hear a double standard? We all know if Bush would have cut backroom deals the networks mentioned above would be all over it, so climb down off your cross and get over it.

yeah i agree with your assessment on the interview comparisons... Maybe if the used the Bush interview 2-3 years before he left office it would be a better comparison... However still it doesnt change the fact that that douche acted unprofessionally during the interview with Obama...

you're the ***che for not recognizing you have a POTUS who is lying through his teeth...one who windbags his way through every exchange with half truths and masking language.

You don't get that you and everyone else are being played for chumps.

at least the Fox fellow finally demonstrated that the the media has enough moxie to challenge these quasi-fascists.

at the end of the day...viewership tells the story...and the pattern there for the last year and a half is irrefutable.

If the person you are interviewing will not give an answer are you supposed to wait until he is done with his talking point and then ask the same question again? Obama never gives a straight answer (like most politicians) and if he wasnt interrupted the President would have only answered three questions in an hour.

Obama flat out lies. where's all the angst when Bush was doing the same?

Apparently, Baier has said the interview was originally scheduled for 25 minutes, the WH cut it to 20, then when the President walked in the room he cut it to 15.. Under those circumstances, Baier did a fine job. The President had to get through a lot of questions in a short amount of time... Interuptions aside, it would've been lame if Baier just let Obama be too much of a windbag and soak up all the time.

that's how Obama operates.

you're the ***che for not recognizing you have a POTUS who is lying through his teeth...one who windbags his way through every exchange with half truths and masking language.

Reduce the coffee consumption. Maybe even try a little herbal tea. No need to be quite so fiesty and aggressive to your fellow posters so early in the morning.

You don't get that you and everyone else are being played for chumps.

at least the Fox fellow finally demonstrated that the the media has enough moxie to challenge these quasi-fascists.

at the end of the day...viewership tells the story...and the pattern there for the last year and a half is irrefutable.

well the people who seem to be supportive of Baier's behavior points to the fact that his interview time got cut short so he had to rush through the questions...

then wouldnt it make more sense to just ask few really tough questions and let Obama actually try to answer them? Instead we got an interview with basically Baier constantly asking question after question on top of each other and Obama would be constantly get cut off from answering them. Baier supposedly was promised a 25 min interview that was cut down to 15 min by the White House so Baier decided to take that 15 mins interview into complete waste of time by his behavior...

Seriously regardless of what's your political views, it was poor journalism.

Archived