Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mr. Irrelevant will go to the Redskins...

SkinsGuru

so are we getting a compensatory pick? yes or no

i get my hopes up everytime i see this thread but cant figure out the answer.

Nope. If the NFL granted 2 less picks, we'd be getting one at the end of the 7th round after the Rams' and Lions' respective picks.

Once it get to the 6th or 7th round, I believe the player has the ability to be a UDFA vs being drafted???

I'm not sure if this is true, but I thought pretty much players can choose to be an UDFA and be selective of their teams.

This thread doesn't matter anymore bc we get no comp picks this year, but I wanted to address this...

It makes zero sense for a player to CHOOSE to be an UDFA... you are talking about the difference of tens-to-hundreds of thousands of dollars a player may lose by not getting drafted. There are performance-based rules set up in player's contracts that directly correlate to where a player is drafted or in some cases, not drafted. Overall, it is always in a player's better interest to get selected in the draft.

My good friend was an UDFA a few years back coming out of UMD... he got scooped up immediately after the draft and placed on the Packer's practice squad. Bill Parcells liked his size, (6'9'' receiving TE) and signed him to the Dolphins active roster. Aside from his league-minimum contract, my friend had a bonus-clause in his contract that awarded him $600 for every PLAY he participated in. He started 8 games last year for the Dolphins and called me after one game against the Patriots and said "Dude, I played 40 plays today and made $24,000! WTF!" (For the record, he's the most humble/hard-working kid I know- and he was just as baffled by the money as he knew I would be.)

Ahhhh, if I had only put down the doobies for a second in high school/college and worked a little harder in the offseason... DAMN!

Archived