Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ATM Fraud

Btubes18

Be wary people...ATM fraud is up 30%. Just happened to me last night. They got my ATM card info and PIN off of some reader in the DC area. Luckily, my bank caught it and put a hold on my accounts. So they only got away with $500, but be careful people...make sure if you are using an ATM look for anything suspicious.

My bank is going to refund the enitre amount and send me a new card. Hopefully, nothing else will get stolen.

Years ago I watched a 20/20 episode (I think it was 20/20) on ATMs. Man, it was a mind ****. ANYBODY can buy an ATM and set it up.

You know those ATM in 7-11's, gas stations, bars, etc. - anyone can just buy one of those, set it up. How crazy is that??? They talked to law enforcement who were dealing with criminal organizations setting up ATMs, collecting credit card numbers and pins for a couple of days and then disappearing.

There are no regulations on who can own an ATM. Insane.

Years ago I watched a 20/20 episode (I think it was 20/20) on ATMs. Man, it was a mind ****. ANYBODY can buy an ATM and set it up.

You know those ATM in 7-11's, gas stations, bars, etc. - anyone can just buy one of those, set it up. How crazy is that??? They talked to law enforcement who were dealing with criminal organizations setting up ATMs, collecting credit card numbers and pins for a couple of days and then disappearing.

That is nuts. The weird thing is, I RARELY take cash out from an ATM and hadn't taken it out since a month ago...so they can keep your info for awhile and not use it.

That sucks. I know they've been doing stories out here about this kind of thing so it definitely isn't something just local. And apparently the schemes are getting more sophisticated. Glad your bank is working with you on this.

Apparently, this type of "skimming" situations have become really bad in the past month in the DC area. I suggest people, either using ATM that are physically located INSIDE the bank, or just withdrawing directly from the bank. This is what I will be doing from now on.

Years ago, I watched a TV show that was hosted by a convicted burglar, telling people how to prevent crimes. (They explained at the begining of the show that the host was up for parole, and was doing this show in the hopes that his "community service" would impress the parole board.)

One thing he mentioned was a criminal who'd found a small-town airport. The airport had a restaurant, a bar, a couple of news stands, a shoe shine place, car rental, and a bank.

Since the bank was the only bank for 5 miles in any direction, every business in the airport used the bank.

The airport closed at 11:00. The bank closed at 4:00.

Criminal rents a security guard's uniform, and a a portable safe (one with wheels on it) with a drop slot in the top.

At 11:00, the "security guard" wheels his safe up in front of the bank, and hangs a sign on the night depository: "Depository out of order. Warning! Armed guard does not have access to safe! Safe requires two people to open!"

The "guard" stands there and looks guard-like, while every business in the airport comes up and drops their day's receipts into his safe.

When they've all done so, the guard wheels the safe out to his van. While he's loading the safe into the van, a deputy arrives. (The deputy's job, every night, is to make sure everything's OK at the airport, and lock the place up for the night.) Security guard grumbles to the deputy about how oh, yeah, they'll let him guard their damned safe, but the bastiges won't even trust him to lock the safe inside the bank. Oh, no, can't be trusted with a key. Has to take the thing home, guard it all night (without being paid for the time), and bring the thing back in the morning.

The deputy helps the security guard load the safe into the van.

Criminal rents a security guard's uniform, and a a portable safe (one with wheels on it) with a drop slot in the top.

At 11:00, the "security guard" wheels his safe up in front of the bank, and hangs a sign on the night depository: "Depository out of order. Warning! Armed guard does not have access to safe! Safe requires two people to open!"

The "guard" stands there and looks guard-like, while every business in the airport comes up and drops their day's receipts into his safe.

When they've all done so, the guard wheels the safe out to his van. While he's loading the safe into the van, a deputy arrives. (The deputy's job, every night, is to make sure everything's OK at the airport, and lock the place up for the night.) Security guard grumbles to the deputy about how oh, yeah, they'll let him guard their damned safe, but the bastiges won't even trust him to lock the safe inside the bank. Oh, no, can't be trusted with a key. Has to take the thing home, guard it all night (without being paid for the time), and bring the thing back in the morning.

The deputy helps the security guard load the safe into the van.

While I don't support or condone the activity, that's ingenious.

That's why I only use the ones at the bank, and I always use my debit card as a credit card. I don't like to put my pin number in anywhere.

This is exactly how I use my debit card as well. In addition, I have two checking accounts - one that is tied to my debit card and the other is not. In the account that is tied to my debit card I never have more than $300 in the account. That's the money I use to get through the week - gas, spending money, etc...that way even if I am the victim of a "skimming" incident they can't clean me out of everything...

This is exactly how I use my debit card as well. In addition, I have two checking accounts - one that is tied to my debit card and the other is not. In the account that is tied to my debit card I never have more than $300 in the account. That's the money I use to get through the week - gas, spending money, etc...that way even if I am the victim of a "skimming" incident they can't clean me out of everything...

Exactly. I typically transfer whatever I plan on spending into that account and use it as a credit card. At the gas pump it will ask for my zip code at some places. But otherwise, I don't mind taking the extra 10 seconds to sign my name.

Btubes which atm did you use specifically?

I don't use ATM's much, and i haven't used one in a month. So they took the information a long time ago and finally used it last night. My guess is the guys have a waiting period on when to use it...that way the account holder can't narrow it down to a single ATM, and therefore decreasing their risk for someone to look at video tapes.

But, I have my suspicision it is the Wachovia ATM at L'Fante Plaza metro exit. My card always goes in and out very slow.

That's a great idea...I think I am going to open another checking account. I have two savings accounts. This will work out a lot better. Thanks for the info!

I don't know if it was the same show, or something similiar but I saw something with a couple of ex thieves or something trying to help out different people/companies on scams and security. In this one instance they were trying to safe proof this one guy's house. After the guy made all of these expensive upgrades they took a sledgehammer and busted the door down and said that his place still wasn't secure. I was like WTF? They wanted that place locked up like Fort Knox apparently. Didn't really seem practical or cost effective.:whoknows:

Anyhow, glad things are working out for you Btubes and thanks for the PSA. :cheers:

I don't know if it was the same show, or something similiar but I saw something with a couple of ex thieves or something trying to help out different people/companies on scams and security. In this one instance they were trying to safe proof this one guy's house. After the guy made all of these expensive upgrades they took a sledgehammer and busted the door down and said that his place still wasn't secure. I was like WTF? They wanted that place locked up like Fort Knox apparently. Didn't really seem practical or cost effective.:whoknows:

Anyhow, glad things are working out for you Btubes and thanks for the PSA. :cheers:

Actually, another story I remember the guy telling:

He's just arrived in town. Goes to a bar, strikes up a conversation with the guy next to him, on the subject of local crime. (Burglar says that he always does this. After he's worked an area for a while, the cops start paying a lot of attention, so he leaves. First thing he does in a new town is to talk about crime with a few people, because he doesn't want to walk into a town right after some other burglar has stirred everybody up.)

Guy next to him says he doesn't worry about burglary and stuff, cause he's got a burglar alarm.

Aren't those a big waste of money?

Well, he figured he'd get one because his hobby is dealing in rare coins, so he often has a lot of really valuable coins in his house.

So, what, you've got a sign out front and you sell out of your living room?

No, he travels all over the place to coin shows, all over the country. They're all over the place. Really big one coming up in two weeks, in fact.

So, what good does this fancy alarm do you if you're constantly hauling them all over the country? What do you do when you're traveling?

Well, it's really not that big a problem when he travels, cause he doesn't travel with the really rare ones, just the more common ones. The really, really, rare ones, if a serious buyer is actually interested, then he'll make an appointment to show that one, really rare, coin.

But, don't those alarm systems have really hair triggers, all kinds of false alarms every time the wind blows and stuff?

Well, the alarm company tries to sell you everything under the sun. But he figures they're just padding the bill. His alarm just covers the ground floor doors and windows. The rest of that is a waste of money.

Now that the Stranger In The Bar has told him which house has the rare, expensive, coin collection, and told him when the house will be empty, and the details of his alarm setup . . .

Burglar rents a truck. During broad daylight on a weekday (while coin collector is at his day job), he goes to the target house. Sets up a ladder. Climbs up to the roof.

Neighbor: "Hey, what are you doing up there?"

Burglar: "Doing an estimate. Mr. Smith is thinking about getting new shingles."

Burglar peels back several shingles. Uses a power saw to cut a hole in the roof. Lays shingles back over the hole. Reaches inside, and ties 50 feet of knotted rope to a roof beam. Leaves rope coiled on roof. Leaves a string (tied to the end of the rope) dangling off of the roof. Climbs down the ladder, leaves.

Big Coin Show weekend. Saturday night, burglar goes to target house. Pulls string. Rope falls down. Climbs rope, enters house through roof. Takes his time opening the safe containing the really, really, rare coins. (The ones that are too valuable to take to the coin show.)

And that ^^^ is why you put motion sensors in the attic and maybe shock sensors on the underside of the entire roof line inside in about 10 foot intervals :)

Motions on the floor where the safe is as well hehe and maybe , possibly.. put a switch on the door of the safe :D

Archived