Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Post poll - vast majority want OL drafted

hammerva

There's a reason this board is called ExtremeSkins...because every fan on here has an Extreme opinion. Nobody knows what the new regime will do, so for those who think they do with the "we're gonna do this", #1 you're not on the team so quit saying "we", and #2 you don't know, so just say "this is my opinion of what the Skins should do"...IMO works nicely.

With this poll I certainly feel a lot better about the overall intelligence of Redskin fans now. I was really concerned that the vast mojority just wanted a QB at any cost but the WP polls are a lot more reflective of the fans as a whole than polls on here that can be munipulated so easily.

If there was a QB worth taking 4th overall, I'd be for it. But there isn't IMO. However there are plenty of O-lineman worth taking at #4 and regardless of how you feel about Campbell, the O-line is a severe need.

how did you come to that conclusion that arent any qbs worth taking and olines worth taking? u gotta crystal ball? the term bust only applies to QBs? you think olines selected that high is a sure thing? weird dude. or u just saying that cause it sounds cool?

Taking a quality LT at #4 is a safer bet than betting the house on Bradford's shoulder or Clausen's pro-ability.

if we had a QB that is in his 2nd or 3rd year, i wouldnt mind getting more help on oline but this guy candle is horrendous and going in to his 6th year. and of course, even with protection, he is still the same horrendous qb. worthless. again, taking a LT at 4 is safe? where did u get that crystal ball? what we do is upgrade the oline as much as possible while picking a competent qb that will make the improved oline better than what they are. no need to keep a bad qb that has had over 50 starts and going in to his 6th season.

However, if the Skins can trade down and still get a top-tier QB then I'd be ok with that.

so ur ok with trading down and getting a qb but is against getting a qb earlier? LOL

With this poll I certainly feel a lot better about the overall intelligence of Redskin fans now. I was really concerened that the vast mojority just wanted a QB at any cost but the WP polls are a lot more reflective of the fans as a whole than polls on here that can be munipulated so easily.

Anybody can manipulate any poll anytime.

I would love for us to draft an Olineman, and then a QB in the 2nd round or even later who they think can do it. If they then deem Campbell expendable and trade him I'd be all for it as well. That being said, if there isn't any such QB available and Shanny thinks Campbell can play well in his system, I'm all for that as well.

There, now you've seen that poster. ;)

I'm willing to venture that the majority of those who, like me, you guys love to label as "Campbell lovers" (simply because we don't jump in, choosing to openly reject, your Campbell bash-a-thons) are on that train of thought as well. I haven't seen many of those who defend Campbell from exaggerated insults unwilling to part ways with him, or being angry, if Shanny/Allen choose to do so. I'd love to see those guys who would hate the idea of Campbell being gone raise their hands, and then compare that to the amount of raised hands from the people who absolutely abhor the idea of Campbell still being here.

You've got to be kidding me if you think it's anywhere close, lol. :ols:

so let me get this straight:

you want campbell gone, not youll just be ok if he goes, you actually want him off the team, and youd like us to draft an OT at #4 and a QB in round 2. if this is true, well......

weve got one!

*hits ghostbuster alarm*

so let me get this straight:

you want campbell gone, not youll just be ok if he goes, you actually want him off the team, and youd like us to draft an OT at #4 and a QB in round 2. if this is true, well......

weve got one!

*hits ghostbuster alarm*

No, I don't "want him" anywhere Shanny doesn't want him. For instance, if we draft a QB (which I would be excited about as well), I would be happy with whatever Shanny/Allen decide, whether it would be keeping Campbell on or trying to get something for him in a trade.

And no, you haven't "got one". I've always stated that I like every QB wearing Burgundy and Gold and wish they all were superstars. It never mattered to me who started, whether Campbell, Collins, or Brennan was the guy... just that whoever did would be the one who gave us the best chance to win. You are just too busy making strawman arguments and using hyperbole to ever see that opinions aren't always black and white.

Campbell proved he was that guy in my eyes for his time here (at least in Zorn's offense, if Gibbs stayed on and Saunders still was coordinating the offense, I'd probably prefer Collins but would wait to see, and be happy with, their decision), which is why I've defended him against the onslaught of your attacks. Even when I have, I've never stated I believed he was elite, or that he would be the long term answer for us. It's getting quite old having to explain that every time only to watch it fly right over your head.

If you'd like, I'll go through my posts and quote myself on this. Maybe then you'll stop exaggerating about everything.

The siren song to "Draft an OLineman @ 4" is code for "Keep Campbell."

Actually I'd say it is more like the siren song to drafting OL is code for "Holy crap, our OL is absolutely terrible. We have scrubs for starters right now, and zero depth". Not that I want them to REACH for a Tackle. I trust that they know what they're doing and will grade guys out honestly. I don't want them to reach for anything. Which is why I am more partial to trading back if possible.

why are people so hell bent on drafting OL in the first round? We still have a high 2nd round pick where OL can be addressed or we can trade down our 2nd round pick to aquire an extra 2 or 3 picks to draft OL. Closed mindedness can cause one to become irrational.

Why are other people on here so HELL BENT on drafting a QB at #4?...None of them are proven either...So you got to pick someone you should atleast address your biggest need first...Just my opinion...HAIL

What a lot of people don't "get" also, is that just because you draft a lineman, that doesn't mean that all your problems are fixed......it makes me laugh so hard to hear people say "Draft Offensive Lineman with every pick" like thats just going to fix the whole line......if it were that easy, everyone would have a great line.....but unfortunately, just because you draft an O-lineman, that doesn't mean he's going to be GREAT!!!!!
I'll try it in terms you may understand.

What a lot of people don't "get" also, is that just because you draft a quarterback, that doesn't mean that all your problems are fixed......it makes me laugh so hard to hear people say "Draft Bradford" or "Draft Clausen" like thats just going to fix the whole offense......if it were that easy, everyone would have a great offense.....but unfortunately, just because you draft a quarterback, that doesn't mean he's going to be GREAT!!!!!

Of course, what a lot of people don't "get" is that an offense without an offensive line will never be any good.

And, it's also possible, that perhaps Shanahan and son, after reviewing the tape of every Skins game see more talent in Campbell than the vocal majority of ES'ers and recognize what happens to a QB without an offensive line, decent protection and a running game. Maybe they just don't "get" it like those ES'ers do. After all, the Shanahans only have 30+ years of combined NFL experience. What do they know?

You know who didn't have those? Shuler didn't. Harrington didn't. Carr didn't. Ramsey didn't. Why didn't these guys tear up the league after they went to better situations? BECAUSE THEY WERE BAD QUARTERBACKS.

Now, Campbell is not in that illustrious group, despite what someone like SoCalSkins may contend. But he has flaws up and down his game, and he has needed extensive amount of coaching and support to mitigate these flaws. If you would look beyond his (average) stats, and look at his overall game, you will see a quarterback that either holds the ball too long or dumps it off underneath - who has average footwork and pocket presence, who isn't a good decision-maker, who struggles when his passes travel 30 yards or more and gets more than his fair share of big plays from screens and dumpoffs that go for long-yardage, who has decent short to intermediate accuracy, who is durable in the pocket, who can scramble for yardage when asked, who has good character and maturity, who doesn't collapse under severe adversity (though doesn't really step up either), and who will not lose games for you but who will not win them for you either.

Campbell is an average QB. Not a bad QB. Not a good QB. An average one. The problem is, unless you can consistently field a top 5 rushing attack and a top 5 defense, you will not go far with an average QB. And in an era of free agency, and an era where a running game can fall off a cliff because your franchise running back falls apart in week 8 after being on pace for 2000 yards at the age of 28, where the linchpin of your defense finds himself at the wrong place at the wrong time, where the talented guy replacing him becomes a headcase overnight, where your franchise LT and RG suddenly can't stay healthy, where the WR you paid big bucks for suddenly can't play on an NFL level...an average QB just isn't going to cut it.

The reason why you try so hard to get a franchise QB is because that guy is the rock of stability that allows you to weather these storms. Do the Pats weather Spygate with just an average QB? Do the Saints lose their franchise LT, half their secondary and win the SB without Drew Brees? Do the Chargers make the playoffs with the worst rushing attack in football and their HOF RB falling apart? Do the Steelers win the SB with a supporting cast that was as much of a mess (and to an extent still is) as ours was without Ben?

That is why, even though getting the line fixed is important, it is IMPORTANT, I tell you, QB and trench play are the two most important factors in the game, QB has the edge because it is the position that, when you get it right, will be the least in flux.

Surely the whole premise of this WP poll is flawed anyway - you can't decide how the No.4 pick is used based purely on the most needed position, the talent of players available has to be the decisive factor.

As i see it only Suh would be an absolute steal at No.4 but since he will be gone it really comes down to a more difficult decision between Bradford / Clausen, Okung and possibly Berry or even McCoy. Personally I think Bradford or Okung would be the best choices but i'm perfectly happy for the experts who run our team to make the evaluations and choose accordingly. No offence to Washington Post readers but i'm fairly certain most are not qualified to even attempt those kind of player assessments.

Archived