Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Phil Savage Hired by Eagles

OWUeagleMD

Former Ravens personnel director and shamed Browns GM Phil Savage signs with Eagles as an advisor to Howie Roseman.

This is consistent with the other personnel moves the Eagles have made since the end of the season. Savage is an experienced and accomplished front office guy who can support the potentially-still-green Roseman, just as Jauron can do for McDermott. Bobby April taking over the special teams would be an upgrade for any coaching staff in football.

Isn't he the guy that said the Browns had to draft Brady Quinn because the 2008 quarterback class was too weak?

He's the guy who worked under Ozzie Newsome throughout the Ravens' decade of being maybe the best front office in football.

And I can't say for sure, but I believe he went to the Browns maybe two years after they had drafted Quinn. If he made any statements in defense of the move, he was just making due with the hand he was dealt.

He's the guy who worked under Ozzie Newsome throughout the Ravens' decade of being maybe the best front office in football.

And I can't say for sure, but I believe he went to the Browns maybe two years after they had drafted Quinn. If he made any statements in defense of the move, he was just making due with the hand he was dealt.

Most ex-Ravens that are coming to mind don't do so well, and the Browns have been taking Baltimore's leftovers for quite some time now. We can see how well that has worked out.

Nah, I'm pretty sure that he was with the Browns when they drafted Quinn. He couldn't have been hired two years later because that would have been 2009 and he was fired by Cleveland in 2008, at least according to wiki.

There was a lot made of the falling out of his friendship with Eric Mangini after he was fired this year, so I just assumed they came to Cleveland together.

In any case, he isn't the GM in Philly. He's an advisor to the GM. So once again, it's a person with top-level experience in a third-level position. Just as Dick Jauron was a bad head coach but makes for a great position coach, so too does Savage, a failed GM, make for a great personnel advisor. Their successes in supplementary positions lead to them being promoted to higher level positions. Just because they've failed in those higher level positions doesn't mean they're suddenly unqualified for any position at all. Just the opposite, really: their experiences with increased authority make them even more valuable in supplementary roles.

Lol, I hadn't heard about that one. :laugh: That's straight out of Rex Ryan's book.

Haha here you go.

Rest of original post, after the jump:

You are easily the worst GM in the NFL. Chud, Crennel and Tucker should

NOT have jobs. How the hell do you play prevent defense the entire

game? How do you NOT use Jerome Harrison more? Why the hell would you

throw the ball with 6 minutes left? This is officially a regime that is

worse than Butch Davis'. By the way, just like last week - this email

was written while the Browns still had the lead.

It appears Mr. Savage wasn't in any mood to take this sort of criticism after a victory, because he sent this response:

Subject: Re: Browns

To: xxxxxxx

Date: Tuesday, November 18, 2008, 12:17 AM

Go root for Buffalo-f#@* you-

http://deadspin.com/5093632/browns-gm-phil-savage-responds-to-email-hecklers-swiftly-but-not-very-politely-update

Anywho, I'm sure the guy has decent personnel experience. Anyone who learned from Ozzie Newsome must have some good knowledge so I don't think anyone's knocking the Eagles for hiring him as a consultant. This is essentially the guy who had a team that was somewhat decent in 2007, and decided to stick with Derek Anderson in 2008, despite the fact Anderson started to really badly regress near the end of the season. So no, he's not a good GM. ;)

Savage was admired in Baltimore, but maybe it's just Ozzie that deserves the praise. Savage didn't exactly handle the Quinn/Anderson situation that well, and he didn't handle Mangina well. As a GM for 3 years he didn't do very well.

It does show that they realize that Roseman, an accountant really, needs help with player evaluation. It's been a strange offseason for the Eagles so far. Reid wasn't at the senior bowl, and Roseman was the only one there.

Peter Principle at work - Savage was probably excellent as a scout/assistant. Same with Jauron - good defensive assistant. Just because they both sucked at their last, higher responsibility jobs, doesn't mean they are incompetent in all things. They had to be good at something just to get GM and head coaching jobs at all.

Peter Principle at work - Savage was probably excellent as a scout/assistant. Same with Jauron - good defensive assistant. Just because they both sucked at their last, higher responsibility jobs, doesn't mean they are incompetent in all things. They had to be good at something just to get GM and head coaching jobs at all.

Don't get me wrong, I believe they are excellent pickups.

I just think it says a LOT about how they view Howie Roseman.

Don't get me wrong, I believe they are excellent pickups.

I just think it says a LOT about how they view Howie Roseman.

No more so than a team signing a veteran backup QB to support a highly drafted rookie says something about its opinion of the rookie. Supporting inexperience with experience isn't a particularly novel concept.

Signing Savage to support Roseman isn't any more indicative of their opinion of Roseman than signing Jauron to support McDermott is indicative of their opinion of McDermott.

No more so than a team signing a veteran backup QB to support a highly drafted rookie says something about its opinion of the rookie. Supporting inexperience with experience isn't a particularly novel concept.

lol at comparing a rookie QB out of college with the General Manager of a franchise.

Archived