Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deadspin: There's Not Much Football in Your Football

MattFancy

http://deadspin.com/5449357/theres-not-much-football-in-your-football

The Wall Street Journal broke down exactly how much game action there is in the average telecast. Want to guess? Not even close. Guess again. Nope, less.

Out of the typical 2 hours and 54 minutes of the average NFL broadcast, a whole 11 minutes actually feature live game action. So next time you want to call out soccer or baseball fans for following a sport where nothing happens, you might want to tend to your own garden.

Damn only 11 minutes?? That's nuts. Think about how quick a game would go by without commercials!

That's not a knock on football. Its part of what makes football so great. It's a coach/strategist game. It's all about playcalling, and setting up your defense. Then you have an intense play, and reset. Each play matters, a lot. You don't lope around playing keepaway the way you do in soccer (which I also love). You don't give up a score and just shrug and get the ball back, like in basketball (which I also love).

Everyone watching football (who has a clue) isn't bored between plays. They are trying to figure out what THEY would call if they were the coach on the next play, what personnel they should use, where are the matchups, what defense is in, is that defense a cover for a blitz, etc... Then the play happens, and you analyze it for 5-10 seconds, then figure out what you would call next.

Baseball needs to speed up the action, because so much of the waiting in that sport is simply stalling for time. Football is not the same at all.

i wonder what a football game edited down to 11 minutes would be like, excitement wise? just snap after snap. it might remove a lot of the dramatic tension, but on the other hand it might be fun to watch. i wonder if patterns would become obvious that went undetected otherwise.

Yup. Coaches do it all the time.

i wonder what a football game edited down to 11 minutes would be like, excitement wise? just snap after snap. it might remove a lot of the dramatic tension, but on the other hand it might be fun to watch. i wonder if patterns would become obvious that went undetected otherwise.

It would be awful for me. I like to play coach on each snap. Just watching highlights would be useless for that. How can I decide what should be done in this situation if there is no time to think about it?

It would be awful for me. I like to play coach on each snap. Just watching highlights would be useless for that. How can I decide what should be done in this situation if there is no time to think about it?

why don't you ever join the chat on gameday? we do that in chat all the time and besides you are missing all of the vulgar comments about basically every commercial with a girl in it. :)

why don't you ever join the chat on gameday? we do that in chat all the time and besides you are missing all of the vulgar comments about basically every commercial with a girl in it. :)

I would, but the Skins games usually are not televised out here, so I am usually at a bar to watch the game.

The few times that they are on TV out here, my wife likes to watch the game with me (I married a sports fan, which is great, but she is a 49ers fan, which is not as great :silly: ) I don't think she would enjoy it if I was paying attention to my computer instead of her. I wouldn't, if the tables were reversed.

I don't know if you can still do it or if you can do it with any cable tv provider, but if you DVR a football game you can set the "interval fast forward" to a certain number of seconds. So you could set the jump to be 35 seconds and cover yourself between plays.

I've watched many games on my DVR and it's not the same. There's a certain pacing that we get used to watching games live. Kids growing up with DVR may not have the same feeling about it. But that time between plays, anticipation builds up.

I like football because I can do stuff during commercials and in between plays. I can surf on the internet and other chores while watching a game.

Archived