Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Broncos change their mind on Bobby Turner..UPDATED-Assoc HC

HigSkin

Hard to know if he's any good as who knows what an assistant coach really does

BUT

He is the running backs coach for the Broncos and the Broncos during Shanny's rein was famous for being able to pluck any old running back from any round and make them very productive.

Word is Turner was the guy pushing for the Broncos to draft Mike Anderson in the 6th round. He knows the ZB scheme and he knows the exact type of runner he wants. The great thing about that is he can find these runners in the later rounds.

Look for the Skins to draft a RB every year, that's jus the way they work.

So do you guys think we'll keep Portis or dump him? We seem to be reuniting him with the guys who made him successful but its obvious he's not the same back he once was. I wonder what Turner thinks of him now.

Despite what people think Shanny likes Portis. He has always liked him on gameday. Portis loves Shanny. Shanny treated him like a man and when Portis stated that he wanted to get paid Shanny said that he wouldn't do that, but he would try to trade him so he can get the big contract.

Don't be surprised if Portis comes back. I'm not sure how much he has in the tank or the salary cap implications, but if he is in shape Shanny could have him back to help bridge the gap between the vets and all the new talent that will be coming in.

That being said Shanny can make a 1,000 yard rusher out of 1/2 the people in this forum so if he doesn't like what Portis has become or the salary situation it won't be hard for him to let Portis go.

Sorry... if this has been asked before but in the NFL what does the rank of associate head coach actually mean? I mean I always view the coaching hierarchy as HC, OC-DC, and position coaches. But I see that many position coaches or the OC/DC around the league have this title. So can somebody explain where in the hierarchical structure does the role of the associate HC fit?

So do you guys think we'll keep Portis or dump him? We seem to be reuniting him with the guys who made him successful but its obvious he's not the same back he once was. I wonder what Turner thinks of him now.

You know, I was thinking to myself weeks before Shanahan was hired; Portis leaving, although it is probably a good thing, would still hurt and leave us thinking... what if?

However, I feel like with Shanny (...and Turner?) making that decision would make me feel much more at ease about it, I dunno about you guys. They know Portis and I feel like they should be 100% trusted on this.

Anyone know why the sudden change of heart? why Denver denied it then turns around and changes their mind and allows it? Did Turner express the desire to leave and want to coach with Shanahan again, then their Brass is like, well we don't want to keep a guy that doesn't want to be here? oh well whatever. Some Palms were greased somehow. lol

I have not seen what you are talking about, but I did find this article from a Bears blog site from November 2009. Right now, I think the NFL only cares about the Rooney Rule in hiring coaches.

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2009/11/25/1173920/rules-on-hiring-nfl-coaches

If the Bears wanted to hire away a team's contracted quarterbacks coach to run their offense, there would be nothing that could stop them, because going from a QB Coach to an Offensive Coordinator would be a step up.

For example; If Chicago had their eye on Pittsburgh Steelers QB Coach Ken Anderson, they could hire him to be their new Offensive Coordinator, but not as a QB Coach (no lateral moves). Another example; If the Bears were interested in Kyle Shanahan, current offensive coordinator of the Houston Texans, they wouldn't be able to hire him as their new OC unless they added the Assistant Head Coach title in addition to his coordinator duties. Now if either of these two have their contracts expire after the 2009 season they'd essentially be free to sign with any team for any position.

Well this article is apparently completely wrong on this point as this (see below)just happened today

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/01/by-brad-biggs-first-a.html

irst, Jeremy Bates, a 33-year-old rising coaching star, turned the Bears down and then the rival Green Bay Packers sacked an effort to lure away their quarterbacks coach.

The Bears faxed a formal request for permission to meet with Packers quarterbacks coach Tom Clements today, a day after Green Bay's season ended in overtime at Arizona, and that request was quickly denied with general manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy agreeing they didn't want their quarterbacks coach calling plays for the Bears next season, a source said.

................................Click link for rest of article

There was also a report on nfl.com saying the same thing but i can't find it at the moment. But im pretty sure that there are alot of mixed signals going out about this. They wanted to interview him for O-coordinator and he is currently a qb coach so apparently in some cases even a title upgrade isn't enough.

If the Bears wanted to hire away a team's contracted quarterbacks coach to run their offense, there would be nothing that could stop them, because going from a QB Coach to an Offensive Coordinator would be a step up.

For example; If Chicago had their eye on Pittsburgh Steelers QB Coach Ken Anderson, they could hire him to be their new Offensive Coordinator, but not as a QB Coach (no lateral moves). Another example; If the Bears were interested in Kyle Shanahan, current offensive coordinator of the Houston Texans, they wouldn't be able to hire him as their new OC unless they added the Assistant Head Coach title in addition to his coordinator duties. Now if either of these two have their contracts expire after the 2009 season they'd essentially be free to sign with any team for any position.

Well this article is apparently completely wrong on this point as this (see below)just happened today

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/01/by-brad-biggs-first-a.html

irst, Jeremy Bates, a 33-year-old rising coaching star, turned the Bears down and then the rival Green Bay Packers sacked an effort to lure away their quarterbacks coach.

The Bears faxed a formal request for permission to meet with Packers quarterbacks coach Tom Clements today, a day after Green Bay's season ended in overtime at Arizona, and that request was quickly denied with general manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy agreeing they didn't want their quarterbacks coach calling plays for the Bears next season, a source said.

................................Click link for rest of article

There was also a report on nfl.com saying the same thing but i can't find it at the moment. But im pretty sure that there are alot of mixed signals going out about this. They wanted to interview him for O-coordinator and he is currently a qb coach so apparently in some cases even a title upgrade isn't enough.

Here's how I understand it: a team can deny permission to another team to interview their assistants for anything other than head coach. If they do give permission for the interview, the other team can only actually make a hire, if the assistant is getting a promotion.

So, the Broncos are allowed to deny us permission to interview Turner because we weren't interviewing him for the head spot. Now that they've changed their mind, we can only hire him if it is a promotion, because he is still under contract.

Here's how I understand it: a team can deny permission to another team to interview their assistants for anything other than head coach. If they do give permission for the interview, the other team can only actually make a hire, if the assistant is getting a promotion.

So, the Broncos are allowed to deny us permission to interview Turner because we weren't interviewing him for the head spot. Now that they've changed their mind, we can only hire him if it is a promotion, because he is still under contract.

Good one AMF, makes sense.

Anyone know why the sudden change of heart? why Denver denied it then turns around and changes their mind and allows it? Did Turner express the desire to leave and want to coach with Shanahan again, then their Brass is like, well we don't want to keep a guy that doesn't want to be here? oh well whatever. Some Palms were greased somehow. lol

I was wondering that too. I'm glad that we got him. He seems like he is a good RB coach.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

click link for entire article

Turner offered position on Shanahan's staff (UPDATED)

When Mike Shanahan took over as head coach of the Denver Broncos in 1995, he hired a career college assistant named Bobby Turner to coach his running backs. Turner went on to be on the Broncos' staff for Shanahan's entire 14-year tenure. Now, it appears Turner will follow Shanahan to the Redskins -- with a promotion.

According to the Denver Post, Turner -- who remained on the Broncos' staff after Shanahan was fired following the 2008 season -- has been offered the title of associate head coach with the Redskins. The offer comes after the Broncos initially denied the Redskins' request to interview Turner. It's possible they relented after Shanahan came back with a potential promotion for Turner.

My feeling was that Bowlen did this. McDinggleberry wanted to be pretty and drag this out and I believe Bowlen squashed it and told Turner he could leave.

Archived