Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bloomberg: Israel to Build Barrier Along Egyptian Border

Thiebear

Israel to Build Barrier Along Egyptian Border, Government Says Share Business ExchangeTwitterFacebook| Email | Print | A A A

By Calev Ben-David

Jan. 10 (Bloomberg) -- Israel will build a barrier along the entire length of its southern border with Egypt, the Prime Minister’s Office said today in a statement posted on its Web site.

The barrier is meant to keep out “intruders and terrorists,” Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in the statement, including “illegal workers who try to enter Israel by way of its southern border.”

The barrier will cost at least a billion shekels and take several years to construct, the statement said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aBhy8GgDutr8

Looking up the Why: Lazy ass reporters.

Edit: AHHH illegals ;) I think America is the ONLY country that just allows it to happen.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34799801/ns/world_news-mideastn_africa/

a better piece...

Thousands of African and other migrants have come to Israel through its porous border with Egypt over the last few years, fleeing conflict back home or searching for a better life in the Jewish state.

The zionist sinister side: MUhahahahahha!

Israel is also building a controversial barrier in and around the occupied West Bank. It says the razor-tipped fences and towering concrete walls are needed to stop suicide bombers from infiltrating its cities. Palestinians call it a land grab because it cuts through the West Bank in places

Since when do walls work? My neighbor's wall can't even contain his dachshunds.

BTW, I've seen the monstrosity that is the "Wall of Separation" on the West Bank in Israel and it harkens back to the Berlin Wall.

Build a better one;)

The Israeli's trying to keep people In ??

Build a better one;)

The Israeli's trying to keep people In ??

I can understand Israel building a wall with Egypt - since it is along the actual border. Makes perfect sense to me. Security matters.

The West Bank wall doesn't go along any border. It's just a way to ensure that Jewish settlers keep all the good land and water on the West Bank. It makes it impossible for the West Bank Palestinans to move around, much less build any functioning economy.

westbankwall.jpgw754.png

I can understand Israel building a wall with Egypt - since it is along the actual border. Makes perfect sense to me. Security matters.

The West Bank wall doesn't go along any border. It's just a way to ensure that Jewish settlers keep all the good land and water on the West Bank. It makes it impossible for the West Bank Palestinans to move around, much less build any functioning economy.

Yeah, I'm sure it has nothing to do with this....

April12_SuicideBombing.jpg

or this...

_41567960_generalviewafp416.jpg

or this...

53227921.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A631A8FB7DA64A262BE7C3DB1D2EA1C136

:doh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_West_Bank_barrier

Israeli statistics indicate that the barrier has substantially reduced the number of Palestinian infiltrations and suicide bombings and other attacks on civilians in Israel and in Israeli settlements, and Israeli officials assert that completion of the barrier will make it even more effective in stopping these attacks[30] since "An absolute halt in terrorist activities has been noticed in the West Bank areas where the fence has been constructed".[31] Israel's state comptroller, however, notes that most of the suicide bombers crossed into Israel through existing checkpoints.[32]

Israeli officers (including the head of the Shin Bet) quoted in the newspaper Maariv have said that in the areas where the barrier was complete, the number of hostile infiltrations has decreased to almost zero. Maariv also stated that Palestinian militants, including a senior member of Islamic Jihad, had confirmed that the barrier made it much harder to conduct attacks inside Israel. Since the completion of the fence in the area of Tulkarm and Qalqilyah in June 2003, there have been no successful attacks from those areas. All attacks were intercepted or the suicide bombers detonated prematurely.[16] In a March 23, 2008 interview, Palestinian Islamic Jihad leader Ramadan Abdallah Shalah complained to the Qatari newspaper Al-Sharq that the separation barrier "limits the ability of the resistance to arrive deep within [israeli territory] to carry out suicide bombing attacks, but the resistance has not surrendered or become helpless, and is looking for other ways to cope with the requirements of every stage" of the intifada.[33]

There is general agreement that the barrier improved Israeli security with regard to suicide bombings.[5][34]

Yeah, I'm sure it has nothing to do with this....

As usual, MadMike misses the point in order to get his outrage meter up to 11.

The West Bank Wall would have been about ten times as effective as a security measure if they had just built it along the West Bank/Israel border in a straight line, instead of winding it all over the West Bank like a slinky to capture all of the available water and farmland.

The West Bank Wall would have been about ten times as effective as a security measure if they had just built it along the West Bank/Israel border in a straight line, instead of winding it all over the West Bank like a slinky to capture all of the available water and farmland.

Which of course will lead to more of the above images. Unless of course humans take to the idea of collective disenfranchisement and progressively worsening conditions quietly... something they've never, as a species, been known to do without ending badly.

Ah, so you are taking up SS's tactics I see. Imply that I'm "outraged" and attack me. Very classy.

No. I'm not outraged. Just stunned by the stupidity of your statement.

So the Egypt wall is about security...

And according to the above statement, the west wall isn't.

Those are your words.

Now see, if you had directed your original comment towards the way it was built rather than stating "It's just a way to ensure that Jewish settlers keep all the good land and water on the West Bank." ...If you had shown the slightest acknowledgement that there was a security issue, I would have responded differently and in some cases I might agree. But you didn't say that. You claimed it had nothing to do with security and was "just" a land grab.

Any failure to get your point across is your own.

So BTW do you have facts and figures to back up your "ten times better" argument? No? I'm shocked. :hysterical:

Ah, so you are taking up SS's tactics I see. Imply that I'm "outraged" and attack me. Very classy.

No. I'm not outraged. Just stunned by the stupidity of your statement.

So the Egypt wall is about security...

And according to the above statement, the west wall isn't.

Those are your words.

Now see, if you had directed your original comment towards the way it was built rather than stating "It's just a way to ensure that Jewish settlers keep all the good land and water on the West Bank." ...If you had shown the slightest acknowledgement that there was a security issue, I would have responded differently and in some cases I might agree. But you didn't say that. You claimed it had nothing to do with security and was "just" a land grab.

Any failure to get your point across is your own.

So BTW do you have facts and figures to back up your "ten times better" argument? No? I'm shocked. :hysterical:

It goes without saying that Israel has serious, legitimate security concerns. I have never denied it. I shouldn't have to repeat that like a mantra every single time I post in order to keep you from getting your dander up.

The fact remains that the West Bank Wall is a meandering, convoluted mess that just coincidentally happens to capture 80 percent of the available water and good farmland in the West Bank. Why do you think that is?

As far as ease of defense, the West Bank Wall is over twice as long as it would have been if it had been built along the border. Are you trying to claim that it is in any way easier to guard a fence that is twice as long?

Nothing wrong with building a wall on Israel's borders to protect Israeli citizens, and it seems to be quite effective. The problem as has been said is when the wall and citizens are not in Israeli territory.

And of course a counterargument has to concede a couple things:

But Israeli territory isn't the '67 borders, it's whatever the Israeli government says it is, including encroaching into the OT--then why transfer israeli citizens into that territory? If it was Israeli territory and there were Palestinians living there, then Israel should've simply declared that they were now Israeli citizens with full rights as the territory was now Israeli.

But Israeli territory is now firmly established, the past doesn't matter or shouldn't be deferred to--Ah, the facts on the ground argument. It's defensible, but why would something now firmly established, or established de facto, continue to grow? If Israel were to go this route, they should stop either building more facts on the ground, or simply annex areas now wholesale that they expect they'll want in the future, to build a permanent facts on the ground. Using this argument would also force one to accept that another current fact on the ground is that current Palestinian territory should be seen as permanent as current Israeli territory--but no, Palestinian territory is the one that's amorphous and can be taken over. And again, why are these facts on the ground only established after Israeli settlers settle, and not prior?

The wall IS part of the land take-over process, working in conjunction with illegal settlements. And Israel does actually respect the '67 borders in building its main route, unfortunately they've also elected to change the route multiple times to account for illegal settlements, at the time and as they continue to grow. I can't possibly see how anyone objective could defend this as a continuing process. As a one-time decision by fiat perhaps to firmly establish an unchanging border, but it's ongoing as are the settlements, Israeli-only roads, checkpoints, etc.

It goes without saying that Israel has serious, legitimate security concerns. I have never denied it. I shouldn't have to repeat that like a mantra every single time I post in order to keep you from getting your dander up.

The fact remains that the West Bank Wall is a meandering, convoluted mess that just coincidentally happens to capture 80 percent of the available water and good farmland in the West Bank. Why do you think that is?

As far as ease of defense, the West Bank Wall is over twice as long as it would have been if it had been built along the border. Are you trying to claim that it is in any way easier to guard a fence that is twice as long?

Gerrymandering for government seats.

It's always interesting to see when people post news coming out of that region just to see everyone's response. It makes me think there really is something to those end of the world prophecies because most of you are so misinformed that you would be quick to back those that take stupid actions. I know many of you will be mad telling me I don't know what I'm talking about and what about these terrorists and yadda yadda but I just don't care...

If you think that Israel is in the right and they are justified in the actions they are taking against the Palestinians then you need serious psychological help. Say what you want, but it's like arguing against gravity...

If you think that Israel is in the right and they are justified in the actions they are taking against the Palestinians then you need serious psychological help. Say what you want, but it's like arguing against gravity...

The problem with this conflict is that most people can't wrap their heads around a problem that doesn't involve a victim and a villain. Some will argue that Israeli security is their responsibilty and their right. You think the Palestinian people screwed by this latest grab and thier disenfrachised status are going to lower their heads and accept they are screwed because of empty politics? No. You think Israelis affected by terrorism place Palestinian well being highly on there priority list? Doubt it.

They are both deeply engaged in actions the worsen their situation. Each will blame the other and they will continue to die an live in fear.

Archived