Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

40,000 Ft In The Air - Technology Rocks

Duckus

I am on a flight from DFW to Richmond on American Airlines - 40,000 feet in the air and surfing the net on my computer.

1st flight I have been on to offer WiFi (costs $12 for the day, or $25 for the month). Technology is ****ing awesome. That is all. :D

Though I wish this crazy turbulence would stop.....

So I'm confused.... I can't use my cell phone on the plane, because electronic devises "screw with the airplanes electronics". But Airlines can run their own cell serviec, and now can run wi-fi's. AND they will even let you run your own computre to connect to their wi fi's...

Airlines suck. I would rather drive...

Hate those little Brazilian planes the airlines fly now days.

So I'm confused.... I can't use my cell phone on the plane, because electronic devises "screw with the airplanes electronics". But Airlines can run their own cell serviec, and now can run wi-fi's. AND they will even let you run your own computre to connect to their wi fi's...

It's pretty simple, really. The odds of any particular signal messing with the flight's electronics are infinitesimal, but it's impractical to test every device on the market, so the airlines ban them all to be safe.

It's possible, though, to test their own equipment, so it's safe.

Mythbusters did a show on it.

Woot woot!

That is awesome glad it's finally available!

Don't get too excited. For American, at least, it's only certain planes and only in limited areas.

When I went out to Oakland this September, I noticed they had it on the leg to Dallas, but I realized it too late and I wanted to save the free trial coupon I had.

None of the other legs of the flight (Dallas to San Fransisco, San Fran to Chicago, Chicago to Washington) had it.

You've got to have the right plane, and it's got to be flying in an area they built the towers for it.

Don't get too excited. For American, at least, it's only certain planes and only in limited areas.

When I went out to Oakland this September, I noticed they had it on the leg to Dallas, but I realized it too late and I wanted to save the free trial coupon I had.

None of the other legs of the flight (Dallas to San Fransisco, San Fran to Chicago, Chicago to Washington) had it.

You've got to have the right plane, and it's got to be flying in an area they built the towers for it.

I've got an aircard my firm gives me and I use it on the Acela, it is the greatest thing eva!!!

If I can work on the plane (or post on here :silly:) ) I'd love it! I know it isn't everywhere yet but it's coming and that's change I can believe in!

It's pretty simple, really. The odds of any particular signal messing with the flight's electronics are infinitesimal, but it's impractical to test every device on the market, so the airlines ban them all to be safe.

It's possible, though, to test their own equipment, so it's safe.

Mythbusters did a show on it.

Yeah, I've ridden on a private jet and the pilot told me the whole dont use your cell phones thing is a complete crock.

Yeah, I've ridden on a private jet and the pilot told me the whole dont use your cell phones thing is a complete crock.

Yeah, I never turn off my cell or Mp3 player. I text as we're on the runway and as we land. As for my mp3 player, its mostly because I use it to break up the monotony of the 1 hour commuter flights to Pittsburgh I take. If I can't listen to it for a good 20 minutes out of the 60 minutes its take, what is the point really. I'll only turn off if specifically asked by a staff member, which is pretty rare.

The odds are almost non-existent, but given that they can't test every phone and third party add-on, it makes sense to ban their use anyway. Why risk the one in a trillion chance when you don't have to?

The odds are almost non-existent, but given that they can't test every phone and third party add-on, it makes sense to ban their use anyway. Why risk the one in a trillion chance when you don't have to?

I don't buy that there is any chance my cellphone or computer or ipod will interfear with the flight computers. It's not like anybodies personal electronics interfeares with my personal computer, never has never will.

I think it's all a crock to get the consumers to use their vastly inflated services. I offer as proof of this therum the fact they now say you can use your personal electronics IF you are willing to buy thier WIFI service...

I hate airlines. Airlines have gone from a luxuriy service, then a pedestrian service. Now when I go I expect to see chickens running in the isles. The profesionalism and service of the airlines is non existant. I'd rather take a bus. One's personal car for all trips less than 48 hour drive away is far superior than submitting oneself to the sardine cans and bad service which is common place in the nations airlines today.

Used to be a 100k traveler on United. Last several times I had to travel for work.. Florida, St Louis, Columbus... I drove.

I don't buy that there is any chance my cellphone or computer or ipod will interfear with the flight computers. It's not like anybodies personal electronics interfeares with my personal computer, never has never will.

I think it's all a crock to get the consumers to use their vastly inflated services. I offer as proof of this therum the fact they now say you can use your personal electronics IF you are willing to buy thier WIFI service...

I hate airlines. Airlines have gone from a luxuriy service, then a pedestrian service. Now when I go I expect to see chickens running in the isles. The profesionalism and service of the airlines is non existant. I'd rather take a bus. One's personal car for all trips less than 48 hour drive away is far superior than submitting oneself to the sardine cans and bad service which is common place in the nations airlines today.

Used to be a 100k traveler on United. Last several times I had to travel for work.. Florida, St Louis, Columbus... I drove.

The problem with airlines is that their prices haven't gone up in 20 years. The typical consumer won't pay more for airline tickets. Gas prices are 10x what they were in the 90s, but a plane ticket from Philly to Orlando is the same! Airline ticket prices need to just go up to the typical inflationary levels ....

I don't buy that there is any chance my cellphone or computer or ipod will interfear with the flight computers.

That's nice. The chance is still there, though, however vanishingly small.

Your "proof" doesn't hold water.

During take-off and landing, no devices may be used, airline sponsored or not.

Other times, anything (except cell phones) may be used, whether one chooses to use their wifi or not. If you can find another wifi signal (good luck), feel free to use it.

I hate airlines. Airlines have gone from a luxuriy service, then a pedestrian service.

If you want the service they used to have in coach in the 1960's, buy a first class ticket. It won't cost you any more than a coach ticket did then.

Personally, I prefer the lower fares. It's not like the plane ride is more than a few hours anyway.

In any case, you should consider watching

before complaining too much. :) (focus on 2:00 on ;))

That's nice. The chance is still there, though, however vanishingly small;))

Actually no chance at all. My buddy builds black boxes for the airlines. There is no issue.

And just to apply logic to the issue, if there were any chance at all of this happening you wouldn't be able to take the devices on board. You think airlines bank on the fact that every passenger actually turns off their cellphone.

Actually no chance at all.

Tell it to the FCC, which is behind the ban (not the airlines), and the FAA, which supports the policy.

*EDIT* According to this article in the Wall Street Journal, researchers at Carnegie Melon recently found that cell phone use can interfere with plane instruments:

But the researchers at Carnegie Mellon in Pittsburgh say they believe more study is needed before allowing inflight cellphone calls. The researchers found that even though cellphones and laptops communicate in radio bands that are separate from those used by GPS instruments, emissions were still found in the GPS spectrum. That is because emissions from several cellphones can mix together and migrate to different frequencies, a phenomenon that is called "intermodulation."

"There is a clear and present danger: cellphones can render GPS instruments useless for landings," the authors said in an article published in IEEE Spectrum. Carnegie Mellon's research was funded by the FAA.

This is the actual study, and here's the conclusion:

Passengers must also be informed of the very real risks posed by their use of PEDs, especially on flights that use GPS approaches. Turkish Airlines' announcement is straightforward: "Mobile phones interfere with the flight instruments and have a negative effect on flight safety." The technical standards for GPS approaches could be modified to ensure that any loss of signal is immediately flagged to the crew, particularly during landings.

Taken together, the actions outlined above should enable regulators and the airline industry to better characterize and manage the risk that RF emissions from consumer electronics poses to aviation safety. In an industry that has eliminated or is effectively managing most large and obvious sources of danger, such small but persistent risks warrant serious attention. At present, we believe that passenger use of electronics on board commercial aircraft should continue to be limited and that passengers should not be allowed to operate intentionally radiating devices such as cellphones and wireless computer equipment during critical stages of flight.

The British Civil Aviation Authority also found some issues, as noted in this FCC Kids Zone article:

Using a cell phone on a plane interferes with the navigation and communications systems of the aircraft.

"I've never experienced a navigational problem that could be traced to a cell phone," says one veteran pilot who didn't want his identity revealed. "From everything I've read cell phones and most avionics shouldn't conflict." So why do flight attendants make you put away your gear before takeoffs and landings? "That's more for making sure [we] have people's attention and for [individual] safety," he says. "If I have to hit the brakes and abort a takeoff, I don't want a laptop flying across the cabin."

The Federal Aviation Administration, which regulates cell phone use in a plane, has a different view: "The concern is that cell phones would conflict with onboard avionics," says Paul Takemoto, the FAA's electronics guru. Is there scientific proof that cell phones can make planes go haywire? Some, in 2003 the Civil Aviation Authority--the FAA of the United Kingdom--ran tests using simulated cell phone signals in a chamber (not in an actual aircraft) and found problems. In some cases, the compass froze, some instruments displayed errors, and audio communications were difficult to hear due to interference.

Until additional tests prove otherwise, Takemoto says, the FAA prefers to err on the side of caution.

I think the FAA is right, here. The risks may be vanishingly small, but why take the risk at all? Nobody needs to talk on his or her cell phone during flight.

Archived