Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pro's and Con's of Randle El

Btubes18

Ok, so I have been thinking about this a lot lately and trying to come up with a list on why Randle is a on the field. I wanted to get some of your Pro's and Con's so I can maybe see a different perspective of what people see in this guy.

So here is my list of Pro's and Con's, Feel free to comment or suggest more (Note these views are my personal views).

Pros:

1. Seems to have a pretty level head and a good heart, i.e. always seems to be helping out the community and/or different charities.

2. Relatively a good model for the younger guys on the team, good guy with media, and handles interviews and pressers pretty well.

3. Seems to have a good work ethic, off season and in season.

4. VERY Durable, doesn't seem to be hurt ever.

Cons:

1. Seems to have butter hands at some points during this season.

2. Maybe it's his age, but I feel like he has lost a lot of his speed.

3. He can't get a good punt return to save his life, the guy just hasn't found the holes that he used to be able to.

4. Kind of small for our team as a reciever, especially since we have Santana on the other side.

I guess what I would really love to see is Randle El becoming that Wes Welker guy for the skins, but I can only dream. The guy has the physical abilities to be that guy, I just don't see how the skins can make him more effective. I mean we are paying him enough to be a role type player.

Any opinions or comments would be welcomed!

in my opinion...

pro: he's got a good attitude

con: he's paid too much for what he's actually capable of, and (maybe because of that) he winds up with roles he shouldn't have.

moss should be the slot WR, with kelly and/or thomas as the #1, and ARE should be a backup.

in my opinion...

pro: he's got a good attitude

con: he's paid too much for what he's actually capable of, and (maybe because of that) he winds up with roles he shouldn't have.

moss should be the slot WR, with kelly and/or thomas as the #1, and ARE should be a backup.

Agree, definitely has a good attitude. He may be getting paid more than he is worth.

I feel he could be a threat on the field, maybe in 3-4 WR sets. But I do agree, he does wind up in roles that maybe he shouldn't be in.

I got a Pro Con for ole boy

He a Professional Con-Artist

I think they play him because he makes alot of money. I know it doesnt make sense but come on now. Its taking them what almost a whole year to realize he doesnt return punts and kick-offs like he use to with the Steelers and then there is the ocassional muffed or dropped punt.

All the "pros" I can come up with are worthless where it counts the most: ON THE FIELD.

2009 Stats (So Far): 44 Receptions, 489 Yards 0 TD

That's barely over 3 catches and 33 yards a game.

Punt Returns: He's attempted to return 15 punts for a total of 58 yards, that's 3.9 yards per return. He also has 18 fair catches. 0 TDs. And he's muffed a handful of them.

I'm having trouble finding a compelling reason to even start a list of pros. He's a great guy in the community and locker room, I just wish that I could say the same about him on the field.

Well, let him take over Larry Michael's job. His pros aren't at all football related (except for the injury thing) and I think he's got a great personality too. Let him fill out the rest of his contract as our announcer or something, I don't want him on the field, and as far away from special teams as possible.

The letters PR near his title should mean "Public Relations" not "Punt Returner".

the bottom line is this

look at the steelers FO

and look at ours

the steelers let him go, and we picked him up

that alone should tell you that he's overhyped/paid.

when a good FO is willing to let go of a player, there's a reason for it. and when a (at that point) notoriously bad FO picks him up, certain thing should be expected. this is a prime example.

he was one of the most misused talents for a long time. Now his skills are fading and its too late.

Maybe I am being to optmistic here, but I really think he still can be a valueable player for this team. I just don't think we are utilizing him in the right places, also he is definitely getting paid to much for what he does.

Maybe he will take 50% paycut next year...

Pro: he is willing to play special teams, he can throw the ball well, he has great elusive moves, He rarely fumbles, and he is 2nd on the team in Receiving yards, and he is not Brandon Lloyd.

Con: He takes too much flack from the fans who think he should be Steve Smith.

Pro: he is willing to play special teams, he can throw the ball well, he has great elusive moves, He rarely fumbles, and he is 2nd on the team in Receiving yards, and he is not Brandon Lloyd.

Con: He takes too much flack from the fans who think he should be Steve Smith.

Good Pro's here, he does throw the ball well for a WR, but haven't seen much of that lately.

As for Fumbles, I always seem to remember that he fumbles more frequently than most WR's, but I guess I could be thinking about his PR fumbles.

Maybe he will take 50% paycut next year...

Taken from Redskins Insider, these were the reported details of his offseason contract restructure.

As part of his new deal he got a $2.5 million signing bonus, and his deal now has the potential to extend years beyond his old one, through 2015 at max. And he has a $6.25 million option bonus in 2010, which the club has until Aug. 31, 2010 to decide whether or not to pick up. If that option bonus is executed, then Randle El's deal can go through 2015, with that $6.25 million prorated over the ensuing six seasons.

If Randle El's option bonus is executed, his 2010 base salary is $1.375 million. If that option is not executed, then Randle El's 2010 base salary jumps to $1.95 million and he is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent following the 2010 season. Should the Redskins opt to cut Randle El after the 2009 season, prior to executing the option bonus, then Randle El would count $4.4 million in dead cap space.

Now, I'm not his biggest fan, but at a cost of ~$2m in 2010, he might get another year & he might be worth it at that price. Get him off returns, but maybe he could do a job within a core group of 5 or 6 receivers next year. There is no guarantee we will be able to upgrade in FA and I'm not sure we want to see a WR drafted in 2010, do we ?

Archived