Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2009 NFC Pro Bowl Picks

pointyfootball

It always makes me laugh that most people agree that sacks are an inadequate measure of the impact that pass rushers have on games, but then everyone is more than willing to use them as the sole measure of evaluation when it comes time for pro bowls, draft grades, hall of fame discussions, etc.

Anyone who knows a bit about football knows it doesn't tell the whole story. However, falling back on stats is pretty much a given unless you have the time to devote yourself to film study of every down lineman and LB in the league. It's a good quick reference for how much pressure a guy can generate and there is a strong correlation between sack totals and overall ability.

Miles Austin should be a Pro Bowler. Maybe Mike Jenkins too.

I agree with Miles but I don't know about Jenkins. You know Woodson and Samuel will make it, and deservingly so. I can't see Jenkins being the 3rd and final CB in only his 2nd year in the NFL. He has had a good year and is BY FAR our best CB.

I agree with Miles but I don't know about Jenkins. You know Woodson and Samuel will make it, and deservingly so. I can't see Jenkins being the 3rd and final CB in only his 2nd year in the NFL. He has had a good year and is BY FAR our best CB.

Well I will give you this atleast, Jenkins > Talib. I wish we had him.:doh:

No he's not. Jenkins has elite speed and awareness. I can't even deny that. Plz dont think Talib is good cause we threw 3 picks to him.

Yes, he is. Talib is better than Jenkins. You just don't hear about it because Tampa's so awful. In one less game, he has the same amount of picks as Jenkins. Talib is a stud and he is and will be better than Jenkins for years to come. Bank on it.

Yes, he is. Talib is better than Jenkins. You just don't hear about it because Tampa's so awful. In one less game, he has the same amount of picks as Jenkins. Talib is a stud and he is and will be better than Jenkins for years to come. Bank on it.

I would, but I've seen him get beat on double moves for TDs.

It's rare that any do when they get beat beat on double moves.

It's pointless to keep discussing this because we both obviously have different opinions. In 5 years, we'll have to re-visit it. :D

Should be interesting to revisit. There were a lot of corners taken in the first round that year. McKelvin, DRC, Talib, Jenkins, and Cason, etc.

Vernon Davis deserves to go to the Pro Bowl, however, if there was no such person as Vernon Davis, Witten still doesn't deserve to go.

Brent Celek and Tony Gonzales both have better stats than Witten and are a better choice.

Jason Witten: 77 catches 793 yards 1 TD.

Brent Celek: 61 catches, 681 yards, 7 TD.

Tony Gonzalez: 75 catches, 788 yards, 5 TD.

What is with Witten's lack of TD productions the last few years? He is the best in the game at moving the chains between the 20's but then he disappears in the red zone. Not exactly the trait you want for one of the best TEs in the game.

1 TD this year, 4 last year, 1 in 2006. WTF?

they run the ball and pass to wr's at the goal line. has nothing to do with witten himself. td's are extremely overrated if someone else from the team is getting them instead. if witten had 7 td's miles austin would have way less. get it now? witten is having a better year than both of those players. gonzalez is the only target and philly hasn't run the ball inside the redzone for a decade.

Vernon Davis deserves to go to the Pro Bowl, however, if there was no such person as Vernon Davis, Witten still doesn't deserve to go.

Brent Celek and Tony Gonzales both have better stats than Witten and are a better choice.

What is with Witten's lack of TD productions the last few years? He is the best in the game at moving the chains between the 20's but then he disappears in the red zone. Not exactly the trait you want for one of the best TEs in the game.

Westy if we are talking stats alone, then wouldnt you agree that Miles Austin would be more "deserving" then D-Jack?

For the record, i dont...i think d-Jack deserves it

• 2 weeks later...

M.Austin is going to the probowl IMO, even though I didn't think he would when I originally came up with my proposed roster. His yardage/TDs, coupled with the Cowboys many Prime Time games will ensure he got the pub needed. So, Fitz, White, Austin and Rice as NFC WRs.

Also think his boy Romo sits to pee will get the nod ahead of Rodgers, due to the extra coverage Dallas gets. IMO Rodgers is better this year, but we all know that's not how the Pro Bowl works.

I also believe Celek should be very close to going, but no way Davis doesn't (justified) and Gonzalez is just to well known, PLUS he's put up good numbers as well.

M.Austin is going to the probowl IMO, even though I didn't think he would when I originally came up with my proposed roster. His yardage/TDs, coupled with the Cowboys many Prime Time games will ensure he got the pub needed. So, Fitz, White, Austin and Rice as NFC WRs.

Also think his boy Romo sits to pee will get the nod ahead of Rodgers, due to the extra coverage Dallas gets. IMO Rodgers is better this year, but we all know that's not how the Pro Bowl works.

I also believe Celek should be very close to going, but no way Davis doesn't (justified) and Gonzalez is just to well known, PLUS he's put up good numbers as well.

austin will get in, but rodgers will go ahead of Romo sits to pee. he has more td's which is all that really matters for the probowl(even though Romo sits to pee has had a much tougher schedule this year).

rodgers will go ahead of Romo sits to pee. he has more td's which is all that really matters for the probowl.

I disagree. WHEN you get those TDs is what matters and Romo sits to pee has had more chances in prime time games, when other fans/players/coaches are watching. Romo sits to pee's had a great year, but if he gets in it will be due to the fact that he's the Cowboys QB and that has a big effect on the Popularity Bowl.

I disagree. WHEN you get those TDs is what matters and Romo sits to pee has had more chances in prime time games, when other fans/players/coaches are watching. Romo sits to pee's had a great year, but if he gets in it will be due to the fact that he's the Cowboys QB and that has a big effect on the Popularity Bowl.

the fans only count as a 3rd of the vote.

do you really think the coaches/players decide by the person that has the most primetime games?

Jackson is going to make the pro bowl. Austin will make it as well. I think White is probably on the outside looking in. I suppose they could just cop out and send Jackson via the PR slot, but he should make it as a WR.

I think that part of the problem here might be the stats being reflected. According to NFL.com, here are the actual stats for each of these TEs.

Jason Witten: 88 catches 954 yards 1 TD.

Brent Celek: 69 catches, 875 yards, 7 TD.

Tony Gonzalez: 80 catches, 837 yards, 6 TD.

There is no way that Witten does not deserve to be in the Pro Bowl and while Celek and Gonzales both have very good years, you can't say that they are having superior season IMO.

Archived