Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Case to keep Jim Zorn

GSF

Jim Zorn's current win loss record with the Redskins is 8 - 17. I know, not good. For the first half of this season, and the second half of last season the team was simply dreadful. The oline, the QB, the coaching, the play calling...it was all bad. My feeling though is that Campbell and Zorn will both emerge from this and be successful with the Redskins. Campbell will be debated heavily here over the next few weeks, but here's why I say bring back Jim Zorn:

1. Jason Campbell. One of Snyder's top priorities during his most recent coach search was hiring someone who could develop Campbell. Zorn's success as a QB coach was a big reason why he was so attractive to Vinny and Cerrato. Zorn has been successful developing Campbell despite very shaky pass protection, something many thought earlier this season would never happen. If you think that Campbell has played well these last few weeks, at least some of that credit has to go to Zorn.

2. Professionalism. Zorn has held his head high and remained completely professional throughout everything that has happened the last year or so. He's kept his head down and kept working. I don't think it's a coincidence that the players have done the same. This is been a lost season from early on, but the players have shown up every week and played hard, and with heart. I think it's a big credit to Zorn to have kept the team together and now playing as well as they are.

3. Credibility. Right now, Snyder has very little. As many coaches as Snyder has hired and fired not counting Gibbs, there can't be many good coaches out the that view DC as a good, stable opportunity to succeed. If the team continues to play well, and Zorn is brought back it will show future coach candidates that Snyder does have some patience.

4. Zorn can coach. Sure he made some huge mistakes in his first 2 seasons, but most new coaches do. Many new coaches have gone on to be succesful after struggling their first season or 2. Zorn has also managed a few very nice games and game plans here lately. The guy is learning and getting better, just like Campbell.

Jim Zorn had the terrible luck of inheriting an oline that can't block. Zorn And Campbell both were shell shocked last year in the Pittsburg game, caught like deer in the headlights. After a year though of Campbell taking a beating on the fields and Zorn taking a beating in the press, Campbell is beating the pass rush, and Zorn has the team playing hard and winning games.

I want to see year 3 of the Zorn Era. I want to see the team put some serious efforts into improving the oline, and maybe add a good Sam linebacker and runningback in the draft and see what happens. My feeling is that if the team can put a good line in front of Campbell, him and Zorn could have a great year.

Jim Zorn's current win loss record with the Redskins is 8 - 17. I know, not good. For the first half of this season, and the second half of last season the team was simply dreadful. The oline, the QB, the coaching, the play calling...it was all bad. My feeling though is that Campbell and Zorn will both emerge from this and be successful with the Redskins. Campbell will be debated heavily here over the next few weeks, but here's why I say bring back Jim Zorn:

We should definitely keep Zorn...away from the Redskins.

:D

But seriously, I don't see a lot of evidence yet that he's cut out to be a head coach.

Being professional is nice and so is helping his QB, but that doesn't mean he should be in charge of the team.

That said, his current figurehead position might not be a bad one, if the team continues to improve, and not regress in any ways.

I really don't see how its possible unless a new GM comes in and gives Zorn reassurances.

They stripped the head coach of his play-calling duties and made it public. What is done next year? Sherman Lewis stays as play-caller? Someone else is made playcaller? Does Zorn have a say? Can he call plays if he wants?

The entire scenario is just silly.

He's already been fired IMO.

I love how Zorn basically benches Cartwright for Ganther in this last game. You think that he would be able to pull that with Portis being healthy? Zorn is just a figure head and he has no power. I would like to see him stay only because I think that we are doing more with less right now. Although I have a feeling because Portis is the owner's playmate we will see Portis return and have a new coach next year. Who that is that will put up with these types of scenarios is beyond my knowledge. I can't imagine any coach with a rep will come here.

You all are killing me. A little part of me dies everytime the camera pans over and i see him on the sideline he just looks like a beaten man. he looks like he just got scolded by his parents. it's worse than the look spurrier had on the sideline.

i just dont feel like he's built to be a leader and be a head coach. he's built to be the whipping boy of the FO, and iv'e had enough of that.

I see similarities between Norv Turner and Jim Zorn's situation.

Both being intelligent, likeable guys...good coaches...just couldnt win...

Norv just had his contract extended. He has the highest win percentage among coaches in San Diego history. 16-0 in December. Three playoff wins, two division titles in two years.

Given the talent, Norv can win. Jim Zorn would be winning if he had been given an O-line as good as it was in the Gibbs Two years.

Norv just had his contract extended. He has the highest win percentage among coaches in San Diego history. 16-0 in December. Three playoff wins, two division titles in two years.

Given the talent, Norv can win. Jim Zorn would be winning if he had been given an O-line as good as it was in the Gibbs Two years.

Norv has one thing on Zorn- he can effectively call plays. Zorn cannot.

The keys were taken away from Zorn, and the offense improved. I don't think that is a coincidence.

You think it's not just coincidence because you choose to think that. You have no evidence at all to prove it. Nothing.

20091214-192652.jpg

Most telling is the vast improvement of red zone td percentage. One could attribute this to the fact that Jim Zorn is no longer calling goal line outside runs that take 10 minutes to develop. Sherm Lewis knows football, and therefore knows that on the goal line you either call a run up the gut or pass.

<pic deleted>

Most telling is the vast improvement of red zone td percentage. One could attribute this to the fact that Jim Zorn is no longer calling goal line outside runs that take 10 minutes to develop. Sherm Lewis knows football, and therefore knows that on the goal line you either call a run up the gut or pass.

You should give up now.

He can outlast you.

He is immortal.

Honest.

The red zone percentage is evidence of improvement. All you need to do now is supply evidence that Sherm Lewis's playcalling was the main cause of it and not mostly coincidence.

The red zone plays are charted by the game plan, which, we are told, is the product of Sherman Smith, Chris Meidt and Jim Zorn. If the game planning has improved, and the players running it are executing better, you could throw darts at the chart and the red zone percentage would improve.

Keep Zorn??

I've never seen so many fans get drunk off of one win vs an inept franchise.

Duuude? It's the Raiderz!

They are like...super good!

And they like beat super good teams, too!

So that like means that we like beat those like super good teams, too, because we like beat the Raiderzzzzzz!!!

We are like da awesome sauce now!!!

Jim Zorn would be winning if he had been given an O-line as good as it was in the Gibbs Two years.

I'm sure you knew who we had on this roster when you were making your 13-3 predictions prior to the season.

And you don't have to tell me "it was all Blache's fault" early on. I know..........

Zorn went from position coach to head coach. Not his fault but he's in over his head.

You know you're sorry when your own coaches tell you your play calling is too predictable and you need to mix it up( from Joey T on his mon. am show).

Zorn = dyslexic working on a Sudoku. It will take him a while but I'm sure he'll figure it out, eventually.

It's impossible to keep Zorn.

He doesn't even call the plays, and the players know that his word means nothing.

He isn't calling the shots. The players run over him. You can't lead like that.

that sums it up

send the man back to pacfic northwest geez

The skins beat a fellow bottom eight team like themselves handily and everyone wants people to stay and please i hope no one think moral victories against the saints and cowboys mean anything

cause they do not..

Archived