Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can we ever truly win the war on terror?

Toe Jam

Economic development will lead to more stability, as well as better education. When people are prospering they don't typically get pissed off and try to kill people by blowing themselves up. The key is to figure out a way to get the economic activity started in some of these countries.

Well let's try with Iran,since pouring money into Palestinian hands has worked so well:silly:

Iran is educated,pro western in many ways, has a rich culture and no longer any real threats to them but us.

So why are they not actively working towards peace?

There have been some rather impressive offers by the international community.

ask yourself why other poor populations do not resort to terror.

As another poster mentioned, there are passages that call for an eye for an eye that can be found in the bible... The problem is that every religious text can be used to justify just about anything and most of the time is...

This Islamic Extremism is a product of our culture forcing ourselves upon theirs(look at the long history of Western Colonialism along with our history of taking their resources). It wasn't until then that these radical clerics had an audience... Radical violence is the "push back" from those people whose lives have been ruined by foreign occupying forces... Islam is just the excuse...

I still feel it would be the same for Christians in America if the roles were reversed... We would fight tooth and nail against anyone coming to our land and pushing us around and if a Christian leader says that to fight the Muslim unbeliever as a mission from god I think some of us would rightly take on our perceived religious duties if the frame of reference is that of a holy war...

Can you imagine if you were sitting here and the muslims were wondering how to win a war on terror? To us it would be easy... Just go away and leave us alone...

I think maybe the Christians would fight but it is my feeling that they would not ask someone to be a sucide bomber.

Well let's try with Iran,since pouring money into Palestinian hands has worked so well:silly:

Careful with that, because we spent 30 years trying to weaken the PLO only to finally marginalize them and then we got smacked with the law of unintended consequences when Hamas took over. The interesting thing now is that the PLO is the voice of reason for the Palestinians. Oh and while in Jericho I got to drive on streets that were built with US dollars which bring an economic boost into West Bank towns.

What I find interesting about the whole Palestinian debate is that in Iraq we argue for the full inclusion of the Kurds into the Iraqi government and yet that argument is non-existent in Israel.

Iran is educated,pro western in many ways, has a rich culture and no longer any real threats to them but us.

So why are they not actively working towards peace?

haven't you seen the protests? It seems like the nation IS actively moving towards more peace.

The opposite case is true in Saudi Arabia which is also stable and prosperous.

Saudi Arabia has a very friendly government but the populace is still very supportive of the wahabi style terrorists. Which may explain how, despite the friendliness of the government the vast majority of the 9/11 terrorists were Saudis.

So when it comes down to it, the long term prevention of terrorism has to include having friendly populations and friendly governments. Just one or the other is probably not going to cut it. And, while stability will be necessary it definitely isn't enough... otherwise Saudi Arabia wouldn't be a hotbed of terrorism.

Archived