Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can we ever truly win the war on terror?

Toe Jam

A friend of mine brought this question up to me last night and I didn't really know what to tell her.

First I think you have to define exactly what the "war on terror" is. Then you need to decide if it's possible to eradicate all terrorist evil.

I'm not sure if this can be done. Seems to me that as long as people feel strongly about certain issues, they will resort to doing the unthinkable in order to reach their goals.

What do you think?

I think the root of terrorism is lack of economic opportunities, not strong feelings.

I disagree. Certain people will adopt terrorist tactics as part of a struggle against what they think wrong.

Economic hardship is used by many radicals to persuade others that their cause is worthy of support.

Animal rights, anti-abortionists, and environmental activists are just a few areas where terrorism is clearly not driven by economics.

No, obviously. The war on terror is so poorly defined that I think it was done so on purpose to justify US action basically everywhere. We were attacked by SPECIFIC groups, located in SPECIFIC areas. Instead of declaring war on those groups and using those victories to scare other terrorists into not screwing with the US, we decided to declare war on a method of aggression. Suddenly we are at war with every terrorist group out there regardless of their intentions regarding the US.

People don't like hearing it but every fight in the world is not automatically our fight. The war on terror puts US resources and potentially lives on the line all over the globe. Currently the world doesn't even have the stones to properly define the source of terrorism. We are still too concerned with offended religious groups and taking on pet rebuilding projects in nations with little or no sense of nationalism.

If the question is whether violent Islamic extremism can be defeated then the answer I think is yes, but it could take generations.

See that's my thing. For every insurgent we kill or detain, there's probably 3 or 4 sons/nephews/friends of family that are inspired by his death/capture and are ready to take his place...

At the end of the movie The Kingdom with Jamie Foxx,they showed the wife of the terrorist cell leader, and she was talking to her 5 year old son saying Americans are the enemy and they all should die....or something to that effect....

The answer is no.

There will always be those trying to disrubt the flow of society.

History has shown us this.

Ending the war on terror is like ending the war on crime. It just won't happen.

Even when the power of love overcomes the love of power, there will always be those willing to hurt others for their gain.

I think the real trick is to open up massive amounts of McDonald's and similar establishments in those countries. This accomplishes two things:

1. Large amounts of jobs. They may not be high paying, but they're jobs.

2. It will fatten the target country up. Once they get used to our terrible (but delicious) fast food, they will need more of it, like a drug. From there, they'll progress to laying around on the couch scratching themselves, belching, and watching reality television. Then when they get angry about anything, they'll be out of shape and conditioned to just accept it, so instead of blowing themselves up for the cause, they'll log onto internet message boards and complain about it.

See that's my thing. For every insurgent we kill or detain, there's probably 3 or 4 sons/nephews/friends of family that are inspired by his death/capture and are ready to take his place...

At the end of the movie The Kingdom with Jamie Foxx,they showed the wife of the terrorist cell leader, and she was talking to her 5 year old son saying Americans are the enemy and they all should die....or something to that effect....

That's why it's essential that defeating violent Islamic extremism is much more than a military action. It takes diplomacy, police work, covert ops, economic development, interfaith activity ... everything it takes to isolate the extremists, weaken their position, starve them of support, and prevent them (one way or another) from doing harm.

Al Qaeda will not be defeated solely by Predator drones or special ops. It will take local populations denying them support and rejecting them from their midst.

Absolutely yes.

They're are more people in this world that want to be free then those that are content with oppression. Given a choice, most people want to be free. As long as we don't lose sight of that, we will win this war and play whack a mole till every individual nation can smack terrorist organizations down like child's play. That's the dream, that should be the goal.

We cannot win this war by ourselves, that's a fact. It has to be an International effort where every nation is during their part to at least handle the non-sense going on in their territory. That and stablizing every country's economy is a start towards discouraging these ungodly acts to a minimum or zero.

Absolutely yes.

They're are more people in this world that want to be free then those that are content with oppression. Given a choice, most people want to be free. As long as we don't lose sight of that, we will win this war and play whack a mole till every individual nation can smack terrorist organizations down like child's play. That's the dream, that should be the goal.

We cannot win this war by ourselves, that's a fact. It has to be an International effort where every nation is during their part to at least handle the non-sense going on in their territory. That and stablizing every country's economy is a start towards discouraging these ungodly acts to a minimum or zero.

This has nothing to do with freedom. Terrorism can be a way to attain freedom.

In my opinion we can't win the war on terror because you can't fight a tactic and we have no clear definition of who we are fighting we are just using the war on terror to justify some of our more unsavory foreign policy positions. Terrorism has always been around and it will continue to be around because for some groups it is the only option. I think even Islamic extremism is something that is too broad and undefined to really use as a base for our foreign policy because most Islamic extremism isn't directed at the United States it is rather directed at the society that the groups reside in. The Taliban had no problems with the United States until 2001, instead they were just brutally oppressive to the Afghan people. I think we need to stop using the war on terror as a crutch and a way to explain away our foreign policy positions that go against what I believe America should stand for abroad.

I think the war on terror, thus far, has been a horrible catastrophe. We still have not caught Bin Laden, we've spent billions of $ on the two wars that we are still embroiled in.

We have chased our tail and not seriously made a dent as far as the strength of the enemy.

I will say that the country is much safer now, but we have given up some of our freedom to enjoy it.

But you still can't stop something like that from happening again.

Like what? Israel occupied southern Lebanon, there was a systematic set of bombings and terrorism that stopped once Israel withdrew. Its pretty clear cut that the entire reason was Israel's occupation of southern Lebanon, if they hadn't occupied southern Lebanon there was a pretty good chance there wouldn't have been a campaign against them that used terrorism. Just like if we had never become involved in Lebanon there wouldn't have been the bombing of the U.S. Barracks. Hezbollah didn't have a problem with the United States just the fact that we had armed troops in Lebanon.

This has nothing to do with freedom. Terrorism can be a way to attain freedom.

In my opinion we can't win the war on terror because you can't fight a tactic and we have no clear definition of who we are fighting we are just using the war on terror to justify some of our more unsavory foreign policy positions. Terrorism has always been around and it will continue to be around because for some groups it is the only option. I think even Islamic extremism is something that is too broad and undefined to really use as a base for our foreign policy because most Islamic extremism isn't directed at the United States it is rather directed at the society that the groups reside in. The Taliban had no problems with the United States until 2001, instead they were just brutally oppressive to the Afghan people. I think we need to stop using the war on terror as a crutch and a way to explain away our foreign policy positions that go against what I believe America should stand for abroad.

I hear what you're saying, and I agree the as leader of the free world, America has to clearly define what that means and what exactly we are fighting for and why. But let's say rhetorically:

When's the last time somebody blew up a bus full of men, women, and child in the name of the freedom you and I enjoy debating this topic over the internet? This has everything to do with freedom, man. Name one of these terrorist organizations today that's going around chopping heads and blowing up embassies so that women can have a chance at a formal education?

You look at a group like the Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka, fighting for independence due to issues like ethnic prosecution, these mfs we're using child soliders and committing assasinations.

Even if someone is blowing up schools or churches in the name of, say, freedom of religion, which is not happening right now by the way, you have to wipe them out, too to send a broad message that that is NOT how you go about getting your rights in the country you live in. I don't support attacking your own people to get them the rights they deserve. That doesn't even make sense to me, and stinks of a power grab.

There's a way to go about getting what you feel you deserve in this world, and when you cross that line, that's when governments need to step in and step up to protect their citizens no matter what they believe. There's a difference between attacking an oppressive government and terrorizing a country's entire population in the name of the way you believe things should be run. Most people don't like to be terrorized, that's why the free world will one day win the war in terror.

But that's just my opinon, I've been wrong before.

Like what? Israel occupied southern Lebanon, there was a systematic set of bombings and terrorism that stopped once Israel withdrew. Its pretty clear cut that the entire reason was Israel's occupation of southern Lebanon, if they hadn't occupied southern Lebanon there was a pretty good chance there wouldn't have been a campaign against them that used terrorism. Just like if we had never become involved in Lebanon there wouldn't have been the bombing of the U.S. Barracks. Hezbollah didn't have a problem with the United States just the fact that we had armed troops in Lebanon.

What's to stop a suicide bomber from walking into a restaurant right here in the US or any other country and blowing everyone up? Nothing.

Archived