Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Paper clip and a stereo wire...

Renegade7

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

This is probably the best original post and thread I've ever seen here, really.

At my cousin's kid's baptism, my cousin and uncle told the priest to hurry it along so we wouldn't miss kickoff haha. I've had to watch a few games streaming online, which is always a couple minutes behind, so any phone calls or texts I get during the game I wait a few minutes to check.

Oh, and I've never been to a Skins game :( But man I wish I knew what it was like to see the Skins be true contenders...

This is probably the best original post and thread I've ever seen here, really.

At my cousin's kid's baptism, my cousin and uncle told the priest to hurry it along so we wouldn't miss kickoff haha. I've had to watch a few games streaming online, which is always a couple minutes behind, so any phone calls or texts I get during the game I wait a few minutes to check.

Oh, and I've never been to a Skins game :( But man I wish I knew what it was like to see the Skins be true contenders...

You'll get your chance to go, kid. :) Ain't nothing like being surrounded by 90,000 people that are just as clinicly insane as you are...

Having said that, by dad was just laughing at your post. Said back in the day, when he was years younger then either you or I, the pastor of his church would try to hurry up his sermon on days the skins we're playing early. Otherwise, if he didn't get his message across by, say, 12:30, my dad's dad straight up left.

The 1987 season is the one for me...every Sunday that year I wore a skins Sweater...and we would bolt from Church those days to make sure lunch was hitting the table just in time for kickcoff....it got to the point when Super Bowl XXII rolled around and there was going to be a meeting that sunday the Pastor said that the meeting would be over by 6:00 to ensure everyone got home in time for kick-off and the pastor looked at me and asked, "When is Kick Off?" I told him "6:18" and he said, "Ahh...we'll be done by 5:45 in that case."

I remember in 1990 I worked at a radio station that broadcasted NASCAR instead of the Skins...so...I brought my own radio and listened to the competing station for the Skins game...I got fired for it....not a prob though...two months later the station got sold and everyone then got fired....BTW the staff was pissed that I got fired over that.

Stationed in Turkey during the infamous Skins/Raiders Super Bowl. Woke up in the early hours of morning to listen to the game live on AFN. I didn't want anyone ruining the score for me on the tape delayed showing. I talked so much junk before the game, they let me have it w/ both barrels when everyone else found out the score.

My family did not have a TV in the house until I was a senor in high school. Day time games were always easy, I would just head over to a friends house and watch there. Night games were another story: I used to sneak out and watch the Skins through our neighbors window. I got caught once and I had to resort to standing out in the woods watching through their window with binoculars. Thank goodness things have changed...I used to get COLD out there this time of year.

Nowadays, you can pluck a picture-perfect HDTV signal off the airwaves. I'd be frustrated if I couldn't see the wideouts in their routes... Spoiled rotten.

Great post, man. I just keep telling myself that it's gonna make the successful years ahead just a little bit sweeter. For both the Skins and myself. It's been a rough one.

When I first moved up here to PA, Satellite was too expensive and the NFL ticket didn't exist yet.

I bought a huge outdoor antenna and signal booster from Radio Shack. I had to wait until Sunday morning before the game, but I climbed out on the roof and set it up. Pointed the antenna toward Washington and ran the wire back in to the house and attached it to the TV. This was about 10:30 - 11:00.

I tuned the TV to channel 5, and I could not believe what a great picture I was getting! A little snowy, but way watchable. Better than I could have hoped for!

I'm psyched...got my munchies all ready, plenty of drinkin stuff, So I'm watching TV and the pre-game show comes on. 10 minutes before the game...the signal starts to fade out. What the hell!?! but then it came back, good as new. Then it faded out, even worse than the first time. Came back. Faded out again, longer this time.

By the time the game came on, I was getting 10 to 15 seconds of signal followed by several minutes of pure static.

I climbed out on the roof again, but no adjustment helped, all the wires were still tightly attached.

I watched anyway. Up to 6 or 7 minutes of static followed by a few seconds of game, except when the game was at a commercial. I think I got to see maybe 5 or six plays.

I was pissed.

The next week channel 45 from Baltimore was showing the game, and I got a decent signal for the whole thing. But nothing changed for getting DC stations - early I could get a great picture, but it would fade out just at game time and stay that way well until late night, when it would come back.

I remember back in the early 70's before we had an outside rooftop TV antenna I would have to stand by the TV and adjust the rabbet ears on the TV to get a good picture.

Sometimes during the games, it would fade in and out and get snowy sometimes.

We would readjust the rabbet ears and sometimes it would not get better so I would have to just hold the antenna to get a better picture. When that would happen, I would have to stand there holding the antenna so the rest of my family could watch the game while I would have to lean over the TV to see it myself.

Boy was I glad we got that rooftop antenna.

Also before remote controls were invented we had to get up and walk over to the TV to change the channels.

I was my Dad's remote control. :hysterical:

He would make me stand there and change the channels until he found something to watch.

Thank God we only had like 12 channels back then.

a few years ago i watched a bunch of skins games while working at a busy steakhouse. The owner of the restaurant was very tempermental and as crazy as they get for the redskins.

his mood was based on how the redskins performed throughout the season. a win and things were great, a loss and work was really bad (esp. if the owner had gone to the game). it went so far that employees would attempt to make their schedule around games. for instance playing a good team, like the patriots, meant most people would do their best not to work on sunday-wednesday. after a loss the owner would be so angry that he would make at least 3 girls cry a day (and talking smack after a skins loss was a real quick way to get fired)

watching the moss-brunell comeback over the cowgirls was epic though, free drinks for everyone in the restaurant

There actually used to be a Geographically Challengened Forum here and guys used to stream Sonny and Frank (the games) for us from the over the internet. I can remember listening to games through extremeskins over dial up all the way over in Keflavik, Iceland. This was back in 00-01 when doing it wasn't all that common.....

I was in basic training(Army) in 1989. another company had a party in our day room on a saturday. I knew there was a Tv in said dayroom I volunteered to clean the Dayroom on the following Sunday. I turned the Tv away from the Doors and windows so it could not be seen from there. I watched the skins defeat tha Bears. Thank god I was not caught by the drill Sgt's, because the TV was off limits to the trainees

I remember back in the early 70's before we had an outside rooftop TV antenna I would have to stand by the TV and adjust the rabbet ears on the TV to get a good picture.

Sometimes during the games, it would fade in and out and get snowy sometimes.

We would readjust the rabbet ears and sometimes it would not get better so I would have to just hold the antenna to get a better picture. When that would happen, I would have to stand there holding the antenna so the rest of my family could watch the game while I would have to lean over the TV to see it myself.

Boy was I glad we got that rooftop antenna.

Also before remote controls were invented we had to get up and walk over to the TV to change the channels.

I was my Dad's remote control. :hysterical:

He would make me stand there and change the channels until he found something to watch.

Thank God we only had like 12 channels back then.

LOL, my dad had a voice activated remote control too, he'd look at me and say "go change it to channel 12". Back in the day in Richmond VA, we got ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS...that was it. We moved to NOVA, we got those as well as channel 20 (WDCA).

BTW, if home games started getting blacked out in the DC area and you can't get them with NFL Sunday ticket, come down to Fredericksburg VA to watch the game. We get the Richmond stations which are outside of the 75 mile blackout radius.

HTe 1991 playoff game vs Atlanta was played in a Nor'easter, and it knocked the cable out in all of southern Calvert County with 45 minutes to go til kickoff. I dug out an old transistor radio and tore the antenna out of it, got osme electrical tape and a length of speaker wire and rigged an antenna that me and my buddy took turns holding in our hands to get the picture as best as we could (Which wasn't very good. Very snowy, but we soldiered thru.

~Bang

HTe 1991 playoff game vs Atlanta was played in a Nor'easter, and it knocked the cable out in all of southern Calvert County with 45 minutes to go til kickoff. I dug out an old transistor radio and tore the antenna out of it, got osme electrical tape and a length of speaker wire and rigged an antenna that me and my buddy took turns holding in our hands to get the picture as best as we could (Which wasn't very good. Very snowy, but we soldiered thru.

~Bang

Wish i never threw my seat cushion that day! But it was fun! :silly:

Wish i never threw my seat cushion that day! But it was fun! :silly:

I was there, bro! I just came out from the head when the first seat cushions were thrown. They sailed over my head like a waterfall. My buddy threw mine for me from way up high in 524 :silly:

I wrote about it and sent it in to the Wash Post in a memorial type article when the team left RFK which got printed. :)

Anyways...

Both the 1972 playoff game and NFC Championship games were blacked out in the DC area because of the archaic blackout rule back then (it didn't matter if the stadium was sold out). Fortunately it was only a 25 mile rule, so Baltimore broadcast it. Baltimore doesn't come in very well in Bethesda, but I was able to get a snowy barely viewable picture on the old Sears portable black and white TV, IF I put it on the bed in my sister's bedroom. So that's how I watched both games.

My family did not have a TV in the house until I was a senor in high school. Day time games were always easy, I would just head over to a friends house and watch there. Night games were another story: I used to sneak out and watch the Skins through our neighbors window. I got caught once and I had to resort to standing out in the woods watching through their window with binoculars. Thank goodness things have changed...I used to get COLD out there this time of year.

That's hardcore right there. :notworthy

Archived