Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Fred Davis: "This really sucks"

themurf

davis120809.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

For three weeks now, the Washington Redskins have been good enough to win. And yet, for the third-consecutive week, we’re left searching for answers as another fourth-quarter lead vanished.

Had the Redskins knocked off the previously undefeated New Orleans Saints this past weekend, the post-game locker room would have been as festive as a kid’s first visit to Chuck E. Cheese’s. Unfortunately, the game unraveled in the end, the Redskins suffered a devastating 33-30 overtime loss and the locker room was about as enjoyable as a funeral parlor.

Searching for answers, we turned to tight end Fred Davis, who continues to be one of the few bright spots in an otherwise dismal season. What came next was quite possibly one of the most honest interviews we’ve ever been a part of.

That was a tough one, Fred. You guys just went toe-to-toe with the best team in the NFL and looked to be the better team all day long, and yet, here we are trying to figure out what went wrong. How should Redskins fans feel after this one?

“You probably feel robbed,” Davis said. “You should feel robbed, because that’s how I feel. I really feel like that game was supposed to be ours. Even past that bad call on the fumble – I thought the ball was dead – but I guess I’ve got to see it again. I think we should have finished them off when we could have. We had it. Again.

“We just didn’t finish,” he continued. “It’s on us. We should have scored another field goal or something. We should have made it. Every week it seems like something different – whether it’s the offense, the defense giving up a play at the end or special teams now. I don’t know … this really sucks.”

You’ve been involved in football most of your life. Have you ever been a part of something like this, where seemingly every week something unexpected happens and your team just cannot catch a break?

“I’ve never been a part of a situation like this and I hope I don’t ever have to again,” said Davis. “With everything that has happened, I really hope I don’t have to go through this again in the future. It needs to turn around somewhere. I know it is going to turn around; I just wanted it to turn around this week against this team. It would have been really great to have a win against a team like that.”

They shank a punt and somehow get the ball back because it bounces off of a Redskins player. A few plays later, they throw an interception and yet somehow score a touchdown on the play. Honestly, you couldn’t dream up a flukier way to have the game turn. How do you keep from becoming completely demoralized after this one?

“When I saw that happen I just thought ‘Okay, it’s football. Sometimes things like that happen,’” Davis said. “At the end of the day, I put it on us. As an offense, we have to score again. There’s gonna be a turnover. That stuff happens in a game. The other guys get paid too. There’s gonna be a play made against you or something bad happens that you don’t want. You’ve just got to come back out and make a play.

“I feel like we could have,” he continued. “We were ready. We wanted to. When we got down there, we played really conservative and tried to kick the field goal, and it didn’t work out.”

When the game first started, the Saints’ first two drives ended with punts. On the other hand, you guys were marching up and down the field, and you specifically were prominently involved. What does it say about the coaching staff’s trust in you to see the ball coming your way more and more?

Click here for the full article.

Davis is really growing on me. Hopefully, he continues his current path and improves each week. If he does continue to show more and more each week I would consider trading Cooley and believe me, I love #47.

But, is it coincidence that we are playing better w/out the likes of Cooley and Portis?

You’ve just got to come back out and make a play.

“I feel like we could have,” he continued. “We were ready. We wanted to. When we got down there, we played really conservative and tried to kick the field goal, and it didn’t work out.”

sigh. :(

… this really sucks.”

Yes, it does. I know how it feels for me as a fan, but it's got to be devastating for those guys who played their hearts out on Sunday.

I love Fred Davis...but the only concern I have is the better he plays the more likely Snyder will dangle Cooley as trade bait to help in the rebuilding process next year. I love Cooley as well and if Snyder does trade him he better get at least a 1st and 2nd round draft pick and possibly more for him.

I love Fred Davis...but the only concern I have is the better he plays the more likely Snyder will dangle Cooley as trade bait to help in the rebuilding process next year. I love Cooley as well and if Snyder does trade him he better get at least a 1st and 2nd round draft pick and possibly more for him.

I just hope we actually utilize both of these guys next year in 2 TE sets.

Great interview, Murf. I really enjoy reading these inside views on the guys.

I agree with the statement in bold in your interview. I couldn't help but shake my head on that series. Why not the play-action fake? Anyway, I know how devestated I was after that game, I can only imagine how these guys felt. I'm glad to see the fight we're seeing. The young guys are stepping up, and I look forward to them to continue.

Fred Davis I think will be an asset to this team for years to come.

To bad our WRs are as effective as our TEs.

I think if we can get our O-line fixed, you could make an strong argument that this team is trying to be something it is not. Better yet, we have no identity as a team.

This was brought up in another post, but I truly believe this is the issue with this team. Are we going to be a smashmouth team first, but keep you honest with a reliable mid-range passing game OR are we a pass first team that can damage you occassionally with the run?

Jc is looking good behind that o-line...our 3 recievers and davis played great.....I say trade cooley and portis as we are proving we can get it done w/o them. There is no telling how cooley will play after he recovers from injury, and the way Fred has been playing Id stick w/ what is working and get the draft picks!

Yeah, im starting to really like him too. He plays very hard!!

It is kinda ironic to me that the guy that slept through his first day of camp 2 years ago is trying to wake up the entire team and turn this thing around. I like his attitude and he is not just saying that because he thinks thats what he should say...rather because he does believe it is going to "turn around".....and all us fans should should be right there with him....

Fred Davis -- “I feel like we could have,” he continued. “We were ready. We wanted to. When we got down there, we played really conservative and tried to kick the field goal, and it didn’t work out.”

It was still the right call, Big Guy. Play it safe, and take the chip shot field goal. You win 95% of the time.

Jim Zorn would have been rightfully crucified if he had taken a bigger risk and lost the ball on a turnover in that situation.

It's almost like the Redskins are experiencing an accidental rebuild right now. None of this was planned - it's more like Cerrato and Snyder fell into it, which is probably the best scenario for us fans. We're finally getting to see what this team has to offer down the line and I must say that I'm excited. If you compare the 'Skins now to the Caps a few years ago, the Caps had so much young talent but just couldn't get the job done. Now, they're guaranteed playoff contenders every year. The Redskins need to embrace what's working for them now and focus on consistency for 2010. Stop changing things every season. Let the young guys settle in and things will only get better from here.

It was still the right call, Big Guy. Play it safe, and take the chip shot field goal. You win 95% of the time.

Fred Davis is on the offense, so naturally, he wants the offense to have the chance to seal the win. Name one professional athlete who would come out on record and say, "No, I would have rather coach put the ball in someone else's hands with the game on the line."

Honestly, what else would you expect him to say?

Fred Davis is on the offense, so naturally, he wants the offense to have the chance to seal the win. Name one professional athlete who would come out on record and say, "No, I would have rather coach put the ball in someone else's hands with the game on the line."

Honestly, what else would you expect him to say?

I wasn't being critical of Fred's comment given his POV. I was just explaining to him that Zorn made the right call.

I wasn't being critical of Fred's comment given his POV. I was just explaining to him that Zorn made the right call.
[Hindsight]Trusting Suisham to hit a FG that would all but put the game away? Nonsense.[/Hindsight]

That said, I don't think that particular comment is only stemming from that specific drive. There have been multiple times this season where we've gotten far too conservative for our own good and it's come back to bite us in the butt. Definitely impressed with his play and his drive.

Good overall, but I don't agree with some of his statements....

"I really feel like that game was supposed to be ours."

-Nothing in football is "yours" until the game is over. The moment your team is ahead and you start thinking "this game is ours," is when you let your guard down, and the other team takes advantage.

“I’ve never been a part of a situation like this and I hope I don’t ever have to again,” said Davis. “With everything that has happened, I really hope I don’t have to go through this again in the future. It needs to turn around somewhere. I know it is going to turn around; I just wanted it to turn around this week against this team. It would have been really great to have a win against a team like that.”

-I would have instantly replied with; "Well what are you going to, Fred Davis, to help ensure that this does not happen again?"

Maybe i'm reading his statements wrong, but his comments strike me as someone who is spending a lot of time pointing his finger at other players, when he could be working on strengthening areas of the team with his other teammates.

Yea and everybody kept saying the young pass catchers we're bust, REALLY.

It was no way I was going to believe this. I mean, c'mon all 3 of them.

This is why good coaches and play callers are very Important and why other teams get the best out of they're young receivers.

Archived