Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MySQL questions

MrSilverMaC

So I need a database program for my ColdFusion class and I am looking at MySQL as my solution for a few reasons.

The first is I am on a Mac which MySQL supports, the second is it is widely used so it would be good to have and be familiar with, and the third is that it is free.

I am concerned about security issues that could come up and so I am leaning towards doing a custom install as opposed to the just downloading the ready-to-go dmg installer.

So my questions would be if security would be an issue using the simple ready-to-go install, if it's an issue how big of a pain is it to install using the terminal, and if there is a better database program Mac compatible that works well with ColdFusion.

Thank you in advance for your help. :)

So I need a database program for my ColdFusion class and I am looking at MySQL as my solution for a few reasons.

The first is I am on a Mac which MySQL supports, the second is it is widely used so it would be good to have and be familiar with, and the third is that it is free.

I am concerned about security issues that could come up and so I am leaning towards doing a custom install as opposed to the just downloading the ready-to-go dmg installer.

So my questions would be if security would be an issue using the simple ready-to-go install, if it's an issue how big of a pain is it to install using the terminal, and if there is a better database program Mac compatible that works well with ColdFusion.

Thank you in advance for your help. :)

If you download mySQL from their website why would there be a security issue? MS SQL Express is the only other option but I don't think it works on a Mac.

I hate mySQL - the time I spent trying to configure to work with a Joomla website was just ridiculous. I gave up and went back to IIS and SQL Express and converted the files from php to asp. That actually took less time.

Yeah I would love to get all the viruses that come with using a Windows OS, it sounds like a party and I want in.

People who go happy-go-lucky on the Internet get viruses and not Windows. I don't get viruses on my PC. But yet I have seen people who get viruses even with an AV product installed on their PC. :doh:

Macs are also prone to viruses as well. ;)

Should be able to just download the Mac distro that's particular to your platform and then verify the MD5 hash value for the file. You'll probably need to google how to verify MD5 hash on Mac if you haven't done that before. Shouldn't be a big deal. But this should validate that the file that you have received is the same that is posted on their website. MD5 is used in this case to ensure the integrity of the file -- it's a one-way cryptographic hash function that the owner of the file calculates upon creation. If the file has been changed (to insert some sort of malware) then the value of the hash calculated by the user (you) will be different than the originally calculated value.

If you have trust issues beyond that -- I got nothing. It's free software, so you get what you pay for :silly:

If you download mySQL from their website why would there be a security issue?

On both the Apple developer page and from MySQL's installation page they both state that installing the program could cause a security issue for your computer. The Apple site goes over a custom install using the terminal to change settings and permissions for MySQL to make it more secure.

On both the Apple developer page and from MySQL's installation page they both state that installing the program could cause a security issue for your computer. The Apple site goes over a custom install using the terminal to change settings and permissions for MySQL to make it more secure.

Wow pretty meaningless help you get in this thread.

Download MySQL for your class. It's a safe download and ok for school. MySQL is owned by Oracle now. Its not going to load viruses on your mac.

If you have trust issues beyond that -- I got nothing. It's free software, so you get what you pay for :silly:

I think I must have mis-worded my op. I am not worried that I will download a trojan or any other malware from MySQL.

From Apple's website :

"When installing MySQL, you need to be aware of the potential effect this will have on the security of your system, as a database server can open an avenue of attack."

That's basically what I am wary of.

I think I must have mis-worded my op. I am not worried that I will download a trojan or any other malware from MySQL.

From Apple's website :

"When installing MySQL, you need to be aware of the potential effect this will have on the security of your system, as a database server can open an avenue of attack."

That's basically what I am wary of.

MySQL by default only allows access from your local host. You are doing it for a class not to build a database open to the public.

Install mysql and run it for school. It's your best option. Installing ANY application that is a SERVICE that LISTENS on the network for incoming requests is a security threat. By default MySQL only allows access to the local machine.

MySQL by default only allows access from your local host. You are doing it for a class not to build a database open to the public.

Install mysql and run it for school. It's your best option. Installing ANY application that is a SERVICE that LISTENS on the network for incoming requests is a security threat. By default MySQL only allows access to the local machine.

Thank you. :) I really appreciate the answers.

Archived