Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

espn: NFC East Blog: The Skins coach who got away

twenty-eight

Both Spurrier and Zorn are weak minded coaches. This team is in need of a very strong presence. The culture needs to be changed.

JG was also weak minded coach as well. He just surrounded himself with better talent. JG looked like a geek with his big glasses back in the days. ;)

just bothers me that he never generated any turnovers with our defense when he was here. his whole "crazy blitzing" mantra went out the window in 2006. i remember in 04/05 there were corners blitzing and whacky stuff going on, and it seemed like our dreadful 2006 unit left a bad taste in his mouth, so he installed the "prevent defense" for four quarters.

now hes in NO and all the sudden theyre blitzing and picking passes like crazy. i dont think any of us will ever really know why our defense got so un-aggressive with williams in his last year.

It may have had something to do with the head coach at the time playing things safe in all areas of the game.

It may have had to do with the quality of personnel (at least, compared to the current Saints team)that encouraged him to pull the reins back on the blitz packages.

And, as you suggested, it may have been the abysmal showing of the D in '06 that caused him to pucker up.

Doesn't matter much...but I, too, would have liked to see more chances taken on defense...then, and now.

Good point Kram...it can't be overlooked that, despite coaching some very good defenses in Washington, Williams was not getting the turnovers here.
The reason there weren't much turnovers in the D here was simply because like authentic mentioned the Saints offense is one of the best in the league and can score at will. With that being said, the offense the Saints go up against are trying to keep up basically by passing and thus results in mistakes along with that heavy blitz.

Redskins never really had that explosive offense when Gregg was here. Sure the team blitz alot but they were often worn out by the end of the game because they spent more time on the field than the offense did and Redskins often weren't in the lead in most games. Keep in mind under Gibbs, Redskins lost many games when leading at halftime. Most of the leads were like 7-10 points. Everyone here knows how Gibbs like to sit on small leads and leave it to the defense giving the opponent opportunities to come back and win the game.

The nature of the offense plays a role in this as well. We were very conservative in Double G's time here, teams aren't forced to go to the air when they are only down by a touchdown or leading.

With the saints teams often find themselves behind by multiple scores forcing them to the air early and often. This is playing into GW having more interceptions in NO they he did in DC. I am confident if our Offense was putting up numbers you would have seen a significant increase in turnovers for our D.

Absolutely, it also goes hand in hand if our Offense cant score then our D is getting burned out being on the field too damn long...

that's very true... His defense is great when he has an offense that scores instead of playing not to turn it over except to punt.

qft. GW and every other D-Coordinator that's been here, has been hamstrung because the offense has never been consistently successful. The main reason why the Saints' D has been so successful is that the opposing offense knows that it can't match the offense score for score and that's when the defense begins teeing off. We would love to see pick-6 TDs and strip fumble TDs, but it's not going to happen until the offense begins to carry it's share of the load.

just bothers me that he never generated any turnovers with our defense when he was here. his whole "crazy blitzing" mantra went out the window in 2006. i remember in 04/05 there were corners blitzing and whacky stuff going on, and it seemed like our dreadful 2006 unit left a bad taste in his mouth, so he installed the "prevent defense" for four quarters.

now hes in NO and all the sudden theyre blitzing and picking passes like crazy. i dont think any of us will ever really know why our defense got so un-aggressive with williams in his last year.

Greg Williams talked about this.

With saints he can be very aggresive because he knows the offense can makeup for the mistakes. Redskins are horrible at offense and score 20 on a good day. Couple mistakes would put the game away. Sometimes the best defense is the best offense. For example the colts they benefit from mannings offense on the field.

This is silly. Gregg Williams killed his own chances by developing a big ego, putting players in his doghouse, and refusing to adjust his schemes to the strengths of the personnel HE wanted...we probably would've never gotten Haynesworth or Orakpo, because he only valued blue-chip talent in his secondaries...

I was glad he didn't get the job...from benching Lavar for Holdman, benching Archuleta, and letting some quality starters go...his weird infatuation with the cover 2 in 2006...and placing our best defensive playmaker in another zipcode from the line of scrimmage, what makes you think he would've been able to manage an entire team without his hardass shtick getting old?

I wish he was staying in NO for more than one season, he'd find a way to mess that defense up by trying to prove that second 'G' in his name...

There's been Super Bowl winning teams with aggressive defenses that had average, even subpar offenses. It was his job to provide the best defense possible...can it even be argued that with more turnovers, maybe our offenses those years wouldn't have looked quite as inept?

Was happen when Greg Williams got hired. Our D was suppose to be brought into the modern era, D dictates what O does with pressure / blitz. Instead he got saddle with "Play it not to loose O" mentality, D become what we know today, bend but not break BS. Glad, he got back to doing what was originally intended when he came here.

I was disappointed when Williams wasn't hired, then summarily fired.

I won't be an armchair quarterback and say he should've been hired over Zorn because Zorn's record sucks. Who really knows how Gregg would've done with the same personnel? Quite frankly, the FO is a bigger problem than the HC, but I digress.

What I'm really disappointed in was that Gregg was promised the position when he joined the staff. The Skins had a plan in place and it seemed like we were getting ahead of the curve with some stability and continuity. If Williams stunk up the joint for n number of seasons, then fire him. Give him the opportunity you promised. That just really shows the immaturity and unprofessionalism of our owner and our . . . whatever Vinny is.

This is silly. Gregg Williams killed his own chances by developing a big ego, putting players in his doghouse, and refusing to adjust his schemes to the strengths of the personnel HE wanted...we probably would've never gotten Haynesworth or Orakpo, because he only valued blue-chip talent in his secondaries...

I was glad he didn't get the job...from benching Lavar for Holdman, benching Archuleta, and letting some quality starters go...his weird infatuation with the cover 2 in 2006...and placing our best defensive playmaker in another zipcode from the line of scrimmage, what makes you think he would've been able to manage an entire team without his hardass shtick getting old?

I wish he was staying in NO for more than one season, he'd find a way to mess that defense up by trying to prove that second 'G' in his name...

There's been Super Bowl winning teams with aggressive defenses that had average, even subpar offenses. It was his job to provide the best defense possible...can it even be argued that with more turnovers, maybe our offenses those years wouldn't have looked quite as inept?

Lavar wasn't doing what he was told, so he got benched for it. Arrington thought he was above everyone else. I like him as a player and still has his authentic jersey but seriously....how difficult is for a player to do what they are suppose to do?

Archuleta is by far one of the worst FA pickup in Snyder's tenure. He actually have the nerve to whine about the coaches not telling him what he's doing wrong, shows that he hasn't been watching film at all. He couldn't even manage in Chicago with his then former DC Lovie Smith.

Williams personel prevented him from blitzing in 06'. Do you even remember who our starting CBs were that year? Mike Rumph and Kenny Wright. They were both terrible and couldn't cover anyone.

Now Portis thinking he can do whatever he wants and stepping all over Jim Zorn is getting old. I'll be more than happy to have a coach to tell him to get over himself.

Does everyone forget the turmoil this guy created within the team? Anonymous players ripping him, airing dirty laundry about infighting among the defensive coaching staff. GW was taking pot shots at the offense aka Buddy Ryan.

Gibbs was supposed to be a "hands off" coach when GW and Saunders were here. The infighting got so bad, he had to step in and take control again.

GW divided the locker room, and minimized the players, saying it was the system not the people,proving he was not head coach material.

Lavar wasn't doing what he was told, so he got benched for it. Arrington thought he was above everyone else. I like him as a player and still has his authentic jersey but seriously....how difficult is for a player to do what they are suppose to do?

Lavar should've never been behind Holdman. When he finally did get playing time in '05...he made more plays in his limited time than Holdman did ALL season. Remember his pick vs. Tampa Bay in Round 1? In 2006 our biggest problem was that we had 1 playmaker on defense, and he couldn't make up for everyone else being subpar. With that line of thinking, GW would've had someone like AH playing gap control.

Archuleta is by far one of the worst FA pickup in Snyder's tenure. He actually have the nerve to whine about the coaches not telling him what he's doing wrong, shows that he hasn't been watching film at all. He couldn't even manage in Chicago with his then former DC Lovie Smith.

Archuleta was promised to be used primarily as a blitzer. Everyone knew his strengths, and where he excels...why were we praying that he didn't bite on playactions? Why were we telling him and ST to in essence be in two places at once (help with run, but cover deep)? That's not Archuleta's fault...just like it wasn't ST's fault...

Williams personel prevented him from blitzing in 06'. Do you even remember who our starting CBs were that year? Mike Rumph and Kenny Wright. They were both terrible and couldn't cover anyone.

Your defensive coordinator has to primarily responsible for having the 31st ranked defense. Whatever he was trying to do, it didn't work. He certainly had the personnel to blitz...that FA bust that was relegated to playing a deep half of the field, for one, and #21.

Our sack leader in 2006, Carter, was tied for 44th in the league (with 12 other people) with 6 sacks. As a team we were dead last by a large margin with 19. The next two worst teams (sack-wise) had 25. We were also last in interceptions and #28 in forced fumbles.

I would think that by blitzing, you take pressure off of Mike Rumph and Kenny Wright...I mean who would feel comfortable with those guys in coverage when a QB has ALL day in the pocket?

Our pass D was #23 while the run D was #27. William's obsession with cover 2 despite our terrible LB corps guaranteed that we wouldn't be able to stop the run.

Now Portis thinking he can do whatever he wants and stepping all over Jim Zorn is getting old. I'll be more than happy to have a coach to tell him to get over himself.

Portis hasn't said anything this year...although last year it did explain the tremendous drop-off between the first and second halves of the season.

Archived