Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Champs agent contacted

MAATopDogg

By Warpath Staff -- Posted Jul 30, 2003

The Redskins finally did what Champ Bailey has been waiting for. They called his agent. Owner Dan Snyder talked to Bailey's agent, Jack Reale, on Tuesday night.

Talks have not yet started, but it's more contact than the two sides have had. They agreed that they would meet when Reale comes to training camp in August, though no date has been set.

The Redskins have always said they'd re-sign Bailey, who is getting antsy for that to happen. But Washington had to resolve the situation with defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson first.

''I appreciated the call,'' Reale said. ''Dan indicated thata Champ was an important part of the team and they'd like to keep him here. We'll start our discussions and go from there.''

:cheers:

There's the silver lining we were looking for. I'd expect this to be completed shortly. Snyder has already taken a look at the numbers since they've been ready to cut Big Daddy for a while now.

He'll approach Champ's agent in the same aggresive style he approached the FAs this year. Would be nice to have an extension completed by the first game.

Great news but Vinnie "coke eyes" C said yesterday that the extra money would be used on contracts like Champ and Lavar but mentioned next offseason.....I hope they aren't gonna let Champ test the market like he wants....could cost us much more.

I just hope Champ doesn't have a prick for an agent. As long as we can absorb the hit, I have no problem with him being the higest paid corner in football. Lock him up for 7-8 years and just spread out the bonus hit over time. He is young and healthy enough that it would not be a bad move in the slightest.

Originally posted by Bufford

It'll be done before week 1. Champ will be a happy man going into the season.

Them's mighty bold words Bufford, and I would turn numerous cartwheels down the office hallway if that turns out to be the case; but, I see this turning into more of a situation like Jansen had last year. Put it this way: I'll be very surprised if this gets resolved before the season starts, and if it does, then color me giddy!:high:

Overall, this is just what we all wanted to hear the day after letting BDW go. Even if our d-line is a sieve this year, letting an overpaid BDW go so that we can lock up Champ for the remainder of his prime playing years, I'm looking for something in the six year range, is well worth the cost.

A question... with BDW cut.... it it our hope that Champ's new deal has a first year salary that is considerably higher than the following years in order to lower his overall signing bonus and make the later years annual salaries manageable within the cap?

An Ex...

A first year salary of say....$3mil....plus signing bonus prorated.... in order to ultimately lower the overall signing bonus number and make the later years of the contract manageable?

So... $15mil signing bonus, but he could consider the $3mil salary in year one part of the signing bonus so the contract would read..... $12mil signing bonus..... 1st year salary of $3mil... equals $15mil signing bonus?

Does he deserve to be the top paid CB? Probably.

Does he deserve to be the top paid defender in the sport? Not a chance...and that is probably where him and his agent will start.

I am sure he will try to get paid on par with Ray Lewis who got a a $22 million player.

I think we need to be more in the 15-17 mill SB range. Hopefully the Skins don't exceed that.

Originally posted by Bufford

It'll be done before week 1. Champ will be a happy man going into the season.

You were also this optimistic about BDW.

Better start looking for new pictures on these boards chum........p

Archived