Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Possible Replacement at Left Tackle...

Dirk Diggler

I thought about him (light) myself, then thought about Vollmers upside . Why not trade our 1st (probably high) for Vollmer and their 1st. That would give them 2 high draft picks and we would still have a 1st and our LT for years to come. He is massive and played REALLY well v/s Freeny. Then hopefully Jordan Shippley, Ingram or Tony Pike is there. Then if not Ingram, Legarret Blount from Oregon will fall to top of 2nd to grab, he reminds me of S.Jackson.

I believe Ingram is a sophomore. Unless he redshirted, he won't be eligible. If he were, he would go top 5. He's the best back in years.

How do you put him top 5??????? And yes you do trade. He was 2nd rd #58, if you give a top 10 and they still have Light to use and find another in 2nd or later rounder, it makes since. In the stock market (or fantasy football) its called buying low selling high

I said he's playing like a top 5 pick, like a franchise LT. He may not be worth that as of today but if he continues to play this well through the end of the season, he'll have that type of value.

I believe Ingram is a sophomore. Unless he redshirted, he won't be eligible. If he were, he would go top 5. He's the best back in years.

Best back in years???? Im not sure on his status, BUT TOP 5?? Most teams have thier rb (or 2). Top rbs fell mid/late round last year. AP wasnt even top 5 even tough coming off injury. Every team top 10 are teams needing A LOT. Maybe Pats use it w/ the Raiders pick, but I see Rbs falling again.

I said he's playing like a top 5 pick, like a franchise LT. He may not be worth that as of today but if he continues to play this well through the end of the season, he'll have that type of value.

If he continues to progress, does that make him worth trading our 1st straight up? Cant scream no old players with him and hes shown himself at least one year so Id have more faith in him over a true rook.

Its 1 yr in BUT glad we didnt end up with A.Smith. Draft is a crapshoot for the most part and we all know about our FO.

With Vollmer playing so well in New England, Matt Light could be available for a 2nd or 3rd rounder. He made the Pro Bowl after the 2006 and 2007 season. Would you be in favor of that move? Discuss...

http://www.nfl.com/players/mattlight/profile?id=LIG425673

Light could be a decent short term fix who could buy them a couple years to find a franchise LT, but as SCM said I wouldn't give up anything higher than a 5th for him given his age and possible injury status.

I thought about him (light) myself, then thought about Vollmers upside . Why not trade our 1st (probably high) for Vollmer and their 1st. That would give them 2 high draft picks and we would still have a 1st and our LT for years to come. He is massive and played REALLY well v/s Freeny. Then hopefully Jordan Shippley, Ingram or Tony Pike is there. Then if not Ingram, Legarret Blount from Oregon will fall to top of 2nd to grab, he reminds me of S.Jackson.

Don't forget about Jahvid Best & C.J. Spiller. And fortunately for the Skins, looking at rosters around the league the only teams I see that might be taking a RB within the first 2 rounds next year are the Texans, Chargers, and perhaps Bucs, which would leave a solid RB available in the 2nd. I'd be thrilled if they can come away with a QB, RB, & stud LT with their first 3 picks.

Don't forget about Jahvid Best & C.J. Spiller. And fortunately for the Skins, looking at rosters around the league the only teams I see that might be taking a RB within the first 2 rounds next year are the Texans, Chargers, and perhaps Bucs, which would leave a solid RB available in the 2nd. I'd be thrilled if they can come away with a QB, RB, & stud LT with their first 3 picks.

Best had that wicked concussion and Spiller is small. I dont favor small backs, not in our division. Ingram is a Jones-Drew clone and Blount is like a S. Jackson. I favor bigger backs or small ones that are thick. More names out there, Jonathan Dwer plays in that triple option and plays at a FB distace from QB.

why is anybody worried about a LT. We now have Levi Jones. Sign him for the next few years and draft somebody in the 3rd or 4th , if Samuels is not back, to bring up to speed. Use the 1st for a RB, maybe or get a quality safety. We have plenty of WR's, TE's, backup RB's. We have a QB, Colt not JC, to see if he can get the job done. There will also be quality free agent QB's in February (maybe even pennington, if he gets healthy)

The D-line is good for a couple years with the vets and young talent on the roster. LB's are solid but do need depth. DB's could use some help (bye bye Rogers???) and yes we could use a little safety help.

Now the OLine. If that line is so bad then why did Betts bust 114 yards against Denver? and how many times does JC run to the D and get sacked because he freaks out. I do think the oline could make some upgrades but it is not as bad as everybody keeps trying to say. A good QB and hard hitting RB's and that line would be quality, but no definitely not the best, yet. But quality lines allow you to score and give your D a rest.

Light is a proven commodity. Levi Jones has played one good game over a vastly overrated defense.

If we're drafting near the top and going for a franchise QB, Light is definitely worth a 3rd, maybe even a 2nd. If there are no decent QBs available but a franchise LT might be on the boards, you forget Light and draft the next Chris Samuels.

How to Build/Rebuild a Team 101

Step One: Do not trade early or middle round draft picks for 30+ year-old players.

Although if New England were to cut Matt Light, I'd be alright with picking him up as long as we also draft a franchise LT. Those two could duke it out for the two tackle positions with Light mentoring the youngin. Re-sign Levi--him and Heyer would make a good backup combo.

Ingram isn't eligible for the draft. Why don't we just spend that first on a better LT prospect in this year's class?

Why do most people continue to think the ONLY way to build/rebuild is the draft? NOT TRUE. Some people look strictly at age and say no way regardless of talent, CRAZY. You take in consideration of whats called intangibles: leadership, experience, etc. Im not saying trade 4 M. Light and what to give cause he could be used up by his coach and cut. To absolutely say no is idiotic, hes got some left and is coming from the last team known as a dynasty, his intangibles are awesome and would bring a winning attitude and fire with him, THAT SPEAKS VOLUMES. When U lose 4 so long, you need to change the mindset also, its going to be that rookies, regardless of talent are not going to want to play for this crappy owner/team and will bring in a bad attitude right off the start, so I ask you, HOW CAN YOU REBUILD W/ THAT?

I wouldn't go putting Vollmer in the Pro Bowl just yet. If Vollmer were blocking for Campbell, Freeney would have had about 8 sacks. He was consistently blowing by Vollmer, but Brady would casually avoid him. Not to mention that Vollmer got A LOT of help.

Vollmer is a functional LT for Brady - not so sure about someone less deft at avoiding pressure in the pocket. Think you could say the same about Light - see how the Patriot OL gave up almost 50 sacks last season.

I wouldn't go putting Vollmer in the Pro Bowl just yet. If Vollmer were blocking for Campbell, Freeney would have had about 8 sacks. He was consistently blowing by Vollmer, but Brady would casually avoid him. Not to mention that Vollmer got A LOT of help.

Vollmer is a functional LT for Brady - not so sure about someone less deft at avoiding pressure in the pocket. Think you could say the same about Light - see how the Patriot OL gave up almost 50 sacks last season.

We must have been watching a different game. There's a difference between a DE blowing by a LT and getting pressure and a player who gets steered right past the QB and out of the play. I saw much of the latter last night. I also didn't see Vollmer getting any help in the 2nd half once he established that he could handle Freeney. And the type of help Vollmer did get in the first half was sliding protections - rather than getting chipped by TEs or RBs.

Vollmer has been far better than "functional." He's played at an exceptionally high level for over a month now. Not saying it continues for another week, month, or decade - just that if it does, he's a stud LT which to me - is the second most important position on a team.

We must have been watching a different game. There's a difference between a DE blowing by a LT and getting pressure and a player who gets steered right past the QB and out of the play. I saw much of the latter last night. I also didn't see Vollmer getting any help in the 2nd half once he established that he could handle Freeney. And the type of help Vollmer did get in the first half was sliding protections - rather than getting chipped by TEs or RBs.

Vollmer has been far better than "functional." He's played at an exceptionally high level for over a month now. Not saying it continues for another week, month, or decade - just that if it does, he's a stud LT which to me - is the second most important position on a team.

I was just re-watching the game on NFL Network with my son. Freeney was getting around Vollmer with ease. Brady would just step up or move away. That doesn't happen in DC.

And he was getting plenty of help in both halves. There was one play that Freeney abused Vollmer with a spin move, but Mankins man had stunted to the middle, leaving him free. He came over and gave Freeney a shot. Freeney still almost got there.

Hey, blocking Freeney in Indy is a tall task for anyone. No shame in needing help. But if Vollmer performed like that with a QB like Campbell behind him, everyone would be complaining about how much he sucks.

What Snyder should be doing is taking a look at the intangibles that the Pats use to draft Olineman and trying to emulate. Clearly the best Oline of the decade, they build consistently through the draft and keep ending up with studs in the mid to late rounds.

Wrong - the last thing we need is for Danny to continue playing GM. What Danny should be doing is putting together a list of possible GM's, and once a GM is in place let the GM take a look at what the Pats have done, not Danny.

What Snyder should be doing is taking a look at the intangibles that the Pats use to draft Olineman and trying to emulate. Clearly the best Oline of the decade, they build consistently through the draft and keep ending up with studs in the mid to late rounds.
They also have a QB who is arguably the best in the league at feeling the pass rush around him (either him or Manning, it's pretty much a toss-up on personal preference).

That makes a big difference in making their mid-round guys who are a little rough around the edges, end up looking like studs.

Archived