Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Possible Replacement at Left Tackle...

Dirk Diggler

Wrong - the last thing we need is for Danny to continue playing GM. What Danny should be doing is putting together a list of possible GM's, and once a GM is in place let the GM take a look at what the Pats have done, not Danny.

I am convinced Danny has read "Moneyball" and is just waiting for us to win a SB ring to reveal that him and and his crack staff of nerds have been working on the football equivalent - Snyderball. Ofc its all under wraps and top secret right now with things not looking so good with all the pick trading and 2nd round TE selections. Just you wait tho, one day..

They also have a QB who is allowed to call pass protection AUDIBLES and a coach who understands how to run an offense.

Changed it to reflect how I feel, totally understand our offensive deficiencies and am not the biggest fan of #17 either but think a lot of it comes down to coaching and scheming, i.e making in game adjustments to pick up blitz's and help out a banged up OLine, all of which seem to be getting a little bit better now that Zorn the wonderchild has been handcuffed.

Changed it to reflect how I feel, totally understand our offensive deficiencies and am not the biggest fan of #17 either but think a lot of it comes down to coaching and scheming, i.e making in game adjustments to pick up blitz's and help out a banged up OLine, all of which seem to be getting a little bit better now that Zorn the wonderchild has been handcuffed.

Campbell missing WIDE OPEN receivers isn't coaching and scheming, it's incompetent QB play. Missing wide open receivers can cost a team 10-14 points a game, if not more. There have been plenty of times when Jason has had time to throw and has made a boneheaded decision.

Two things (and I don't want this to become a Campbell thread, Lord knows there's more than enough of those, but just for discussion sake here):

1- Wasn't Campbell in charge of the line calls last season? I thought I heard that, and then this year they changed it to built in protection schemes depending on the play call, to take that load off of Jason.

2- While I agree that there's been plenty of times that I've questioned Zorn's offense and particularly his play calling, and I think our o-line is truly garbage (like bottom 5 in the NFL), Jason's made his own mistakes at times too. Case in point: the fumble in the season opener in New York, when Samuels pushed Umenyiora upfield around him, but Campbell neglected to step up into the few yards of pocket in front of him, while Osi was able to just go right up and knock the ball out of Campbell's hand before taking it back for 6.

You don't see Brady fall into plays like that the way Campbell does every so often. When Vollmer would get beat by Freeney, Brady had enough sense about it to slide around and get out of Freeney's way to find a receiver. I mean obviously there's zero comparison between Tom Brady and Jason Campbell, but going back to your original point about the Patriots' o-line and their drafting, Brady does a lot to help make that line look better with his pocket presence. It's not so much that they're finding studs in the 4th and 5th rounds.

Campbell missing WIDE OPEN receivers isn't coaching and scheming, it's incompetent QB play. Missing wide open receivers can cost a team 10-14 points a game, if not more. There have been plenty of times when Jason has had time to throw and has made a boneheaded decision.

Trying not to not let this derail into another JC bashing thread but I tend to subscribe to the theory that Jason's deficiencies are attributable to past coaching philosophies designed to limit turnovers as well as this particular WCO being ill suited for his skill set and Zorn micro managing him to the point of failure. No doubt he isn't Tom Brady or Peyton Manning but we stand about as big a chance of bringing one of those in here as we do Snyder selling the team.

Joe won with average QB's because he utilized his players' particular skill sets and put them in the positions from which they could succeed. Our particular WCO is totally dysfunctional without pass protection cause our route calling and protection schemes are totally inappropriate for the level of pressure JC is getting which would be less of a problem with proper coaching.

I just dont like the idea of dumping off the 6'5 230 lb 5th year vet so we can turn around and spend our 1st round pick on a rookie QB that wont help us win next season especially if he is on the IR all season. Its probably best we let a qualified GM come in here and tell us that we scrap this WCO business and go back to a more traditional offense which suits the team better.

2- While I agree that there's been plenty of times that I've questioned Zorn's offense and particularly his play calling, and I think our o-line is truly garbage

Agree we need help on the OLine but my opinion of this group changed last week with the Bronco game, think we finally used them in a way that took into account their shortcomings and saw some gameplanning / coaching. i.e more short routes for JC, better rush selection etc, the occasion HB screen etc.

JC is an awful WCO QB but not someone without value to this team under the proper coaching / scheming, much like even this current OLine can be semi functional with proper playcalling. When you change personnel and coaching up every season or two its hard to get enough continuity to figure out whats wrong with the team but if the playcalling is there and we can manage to pull off a convincing win in Dallas on Sunday I think the prioritys on this team and this board are going to shift more correctly to the FO & coaching staff as opposed to the player / personnel.

With Vollmer playing so well in New England, Matt Light could be available for a 2nd or 3rd rounder. He made the Pro Bowl after the 2006 and 2007 season. Would you be in favor of that move? Discuss...

http://www.nfl.com/players/mattlight/profile?id=LIG425673

For once, couldn't we hold onto our draft picks and use them to develop our own talent instead of coveting other teams' players who may be a product of the system in which they play?

I was just re-watching the game on NFL Network with my son. Freeney was getting around Vollmer with ease. Brady would just step up or move away. That doesn't happen in DC.

And he was getting plenty of help in both halves. There was one play that Freeney abused Vollmer with a spin move, but Mankins man had stunted to the middle, leaving him free. He came over and gave Freeney a shot. Freeney still almost got there.

Hey, blocking Freeney in Indy is a tall task for anyone. No shame in needing help. But if Vollmer performed like that with a QB like Campbell behind him, everyone would be complaining about how much he sucks.

I dont deny the QBs importance in finding his spot, stepping up, getting rid of the ball on time, etc. He's as important as any lineman when it comes to pass protection and Brady is exceptional in this regard. And I agree that Campbell leaves MUCH to be desired when it comes to the aforementioned qualities. Point taken that JC would have been hit more and maybe even sacked a few times if he was the Pats QB.

But Brady threw the ball 42 times on Sunday night. He also had the time to go deep all night. He was pressured a handful of times by Freeney, and hit only once or twice. That is just an exceptional performance in pass protection. Freeney in Indy is the single most difficult challenge a lineman can draw. I think you are giving Brady way to much credit here.

Archived