Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Difference in coverage.

Art

Last night I turned on Comcast sports to see a bit of the Redskins camp. They started with the Ravens and had a sit down with Billick. They spoke of football and showed a number of camp highlights. If you're inclined to be stupid enough to enjoy Ravens football, it was a rather nice piece.

Then Rich Cook was up and it was the Redskins turn. The whole segment was about whether the new guys knew the words to Hail to the Redskins and him going through asking other vets what they'd do to new players who didn't. It was cute, but it had no training camp information whatsoever. No highlights of anything. Just a fluff piece. Probably a good fluff piece as camp is winding down, but on the first day it should have been about football.

Just an observation. Need more footage dammit :).

'communist'-cast, our state chartered monopoly cable provider, is a senseless homer for the Ravens. During the season 70% of the news is about the purple birds. most of the anchors seem to be Baltimoron fans on a personal level and that is another gripe.

The Redskins do get coverage and there are I think two weekly segments on the Skins, but it doesn't have the flavor of an in-town report.

It is tepid support, sort of like you get when you tune in and they show Orioles highlights on Washington stations. No one is crying a tear when the team loses.............

The whole segment was about whether the new guys knew the words to Hail to the Redskins and him going through asking other vets what they'd do to new players who didn't.

I saw the same peice, I wasn't really surprised that none of the new guys knew the words to the song, except for Hamdann, (being a local product, how could he not know?), but I did find it a little disturbing that L. Coles hadn't even heard of the song before....I mean, when Cook asked him if he knew the words to "Hail to the Redskins", Coles looked at him like Cook was making the whole thing up, and told Cook he'd never heard of the song before. It was pretty funny when they informed LaVarr about none of the new guys knowing the song, he scanned the practice fields and said something to the affect of "We have 8 goalposts (to tape people to) around here, we'll be OK". And Wynn chimed in and and said that "maybe those guys deserve a scond tier hazing".

Man, I missed all of this the past 7 months. Thank God football is back!!!

:cheers:

Art,

I've met Rich Cook at happy hour a couple of times after he lost his job at channel 7. His college room mate works at the same company I do.

This guy might be the biggest Redskins fan I've ever met. He gave up a promising job in the New York market partly because he couldn't stand to cover the Giants.

Keep watching my friend, Rich will get the story. More footage ahead! :)

Anyone see the part where Cookie asked Upshaw if he knew the words? He figured he not being a rookie wouldn't have to sing but then said he's ready and "Oh, I can break it down" right to the camera.....guys seems like a good natured funny dude.....hope he and Bruce combo can always have some fresh legs to rush the QB for us this season.

Originally posted by bulldog

'communist'-cast, our state chartered monopoly cable provider, is a senseless homer for the Ravens. During the season 70% of the news is about the purple birds. most of the anchors seem to be Baltimoron fans on a personal level and that is another gripe.

The Redskins do get coverage and there are I think two weekly segments on the Skins, but it doesn't have the flavor of an in-town report.

It is tepid support, sort of like you get when you tune in and they show Orioles highlights on Washington stations. No one is crying a tear when the team loses.............

It's just another reason for you to step into the light and come over to the right side of the river my man. ;)

Just be happy you guys live in the D.C. area, and that the D.C. media is so entirely Redskins-obsessed, including the Washington Post. No one in NYC is paying much attention at all to the Jets and Giants training camps, and if one of the networks up here paid as much attention to it as Sonny & George, people would find it quite bizarre.

As another example, if one goes to the front page of the washingtonpost website, training camp has its own prominently stationed section. If one goes to nytimes.com, not only will one fail to find such an area, but if one were go to the sports section of the times website, they would find the football articles 2/3s of the way down the page. So sad.

It was pretty funny when they informed LaVarr about none of the new guys knowing the song, he scanned the practice fields and said something to the affect of "We have 8 goalposts (to tape people to) around here, we'll be OK".

THAT is funny!:laugh:

Comcast is one of, if not the, worst sports stations around. They have been since they started. Time and time again they were so bad that I just stopped watching. I don't like any of there anchors and maybe this Rich Cook guy is a new addition so I have not seen him and he can do a better job. Sage Steele, George Johnson and Lynn Maloney are all really bad.

My :2cents:

:40oz:

I once had an email exchange with a Comcast employee about Comcast's pro-Ravens, anti-Redskins slant in coverage. At first he tried to say that Comcast gives roughly equal time to both teams. But when I emailed him again with specific examples of how Comcast is biased in favor of the Ravens, he realized I wasn't going to give up, and he basically admitted that Comcast is biased. I don't remember exactly how he put it, but he basically said, "OK, you got me." I have no idea why they'd be biased that way...after all, there are a lot more Skins fans out there than Ravens fans. Maybe we need to organize some sort of letter-writing campaign or boycott or something.

Archived