Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: League shipwrecks Captain Morgan campaign (merged)

C26 Run

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-celekpose111209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Captain Morgan may have pulled off the quietest and shortest-lived advertising ambush in sports history last Sunday. One that was almost universally unknown, barely noticed, and yet, promptly squashed by the NFL this week.

Like the other 21.9 million viewers watching the Dallas Cowboys face the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday night, you probably missed it. But the brand name known for spiced rum achieved the rare feat of sneaking an advertising fastball by the NFL – in the middle of a nationally televised game, no less. During the third quarter of Dallas’ 20-16 win, Eagles tight end Brent Celek(notes) caught an 11-yard touchdown pass from Donovan McNabb(notes), then appeared to purposefully back up and align himself in front of television cameras. Putting his hands on his hips, Celek raised his right leg, mimicking a pose similar to the pirate on Captain Morgan’s label

*Click link for full article

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is just another example of the hypocrisy of the NFL.

How is it hypocritical?

The NFL receives tons of money from the beer industry. Also this pose was actually another way to raise money for the Greats of this game.

Right now, you can't watch an NFL game without an Coors commercial. Which has NFL coaches as apart of the punchline. Whether its Miller, Coors or Heineken, beer commercials are abundant during games. The hypocrisy comes from banning a pose ( which by the way benefitted retired players) that promotes an Alcohol company.

:helmet:

“The issue is that players are specifically prohibited under our policies from wearing, displaying, promoting or otherwise conveying their support of a commercially identified product during a game while they’re on the field,” Aiello said. “Whether it’s rum or soft drinks or any other commercial product, that type of promotion is prohibited.”

The rules are pretty simple. If Captain Morgan and the Gridiron Greats can't realize that, then that's their fault.

“The issue is that players are specifically prohibited under our policies from wearing, displaying, promoting or otherwise conveying their support of a commercially identified product during a game while they’re on the field,” Aiello said. “Whether it’s rum or soft drinks or any other commercial product, that type of promotion is prohibited.”

The rules are pretty simple. If Captain Morgan and the Gridiron Greats can't realize that, then that's their fault.

This rule was just now made. You know the NFL has a quick response when it comes to TD celebrations. This is no different. Not only that, this pose was for charity. In this current league where most players are all about self, it's nice to see a TD pose could net sums to help others.

This rule was just now made. You know the NFL has a quick response when it comes to TD celebrations. This is no different. Not only that, this pose was for charity. In this current league where most players are all about self, it's nice to see a TD pose could net sums to help others.

Per the article, it is not a new rule. TD celebrations are still allowed, with limitations, but the players are not allowed to advertise any product via their celebration.

"A company can’t pay a player to somehow promote it’s product on the field,” NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told Yahoo! Sports this week. “Every league has the same rule. … It’s come up before, companies trying to use our games and then players for ambush marketing purposes.”

If it were just for charity, I wouldn't care. But that celebration gets Captain Morgan in-game advertising without having to pay the NFL or the channel the game is being played on.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong for wanting to give money the gridiron org, but don't think that Captain Morgan doesn't get profits out of this.

Dumb. Celek should be able to claim that it's a coincidence that Captain Morgan uses that as an ad and that he wasn't specifically advertising for them.

I mean, what happens when Steve Smith pretends to pop open a can and drink it after a TD? Do they assume it's a Coke or a Budweiser?

The rule has been in place for a long time, quite possibly since before you were born. And the NFL allows no deviations from it, regardless of cause. They are VERY consistent about it.

I saw this live and thought that he was doing that pose. But I wondered if the refs were throwing the flag since his teammate ran up and grabbed his leg.

You are right. The flag was for his teammate coming over and becoming part of the celebration.

As to the larger issue, tough call for the league. I can see how they don't want in-game advertising gimmicks, especially rogue ones they have no part of. So they have to take a firm stance. The fact that Diageo built in a charity to the promotion makes it a tougher PR hit for the NFL to quash it.

Personally, I would have liked it to last longer. Kah-ching for a good cause every time a player lifted his leg...

Thinking about it further - here's a more creative approach the NFL could have taken: Instead of stopping the promotion, they could have secretly embraced it. Mandate that players strike the pose. Generate millions for Gridiron Greats' coffers.

Remember how the old Dallas Cowboys O-line used to stand up in unison before dropping into their stance? Imagine a whole offensive line striking the Capt. Morgan pose every time just before they drop into their stance? Kah-CHING! $10,000 x 5 lineman = $50,000 into the Gridiron Greats coffers for every offensive play!

Diageo would have to fork over huge money. They would go bankrupt if they didn't call off the promotion after one week. They get the pub, the charity gets huge money, and the NFL is the good guy. Problem solved.

God, I should be NFL commissioner.

Thinking about it further - here's a more creative approach the NFL could have taken: Instead of stopping the promotion, they could have secretly embraced it. Mandate that players strike the pose. Generate millions for Gridiron Greats' coffers.

Remember how the old Dallas Cowboys O-line used to stand up in unison before dropping into their stance? Imagine a whole offensive line striking the Capt. Morgan pose every time just before they drop into their stance? Kah-CHING! $10,000 x 5 lineman = $50,000 into the Gridiron Greats coffers for every offensive play!

Diageo would have to work over huge money. They would go bankrupt or call off the promotion after one week. They get the pub, the charity gets huge money, and the NFL is the good guy. Problem solved.

God, I should be NFL commissioner.

Kinda cool...:thumbsup:

I think there are long-term issues with this approach, but I like the creativity, nonetheless. :)

I don't have a problem with the NFL doing this because, seriously, we have enough freakin advertisements in a stadium already. I'm not down with players doing active marketing and advertising on the field during the game. I mean, if that's kosher, why don't we just start slapping ads all over their jerseys and helmets as well? It just goes to far for me and is too much of a distraction from the game. I wish there were less in game advertisements already, we don't need more.

Captain Morgan can ask Celek to strike the pose in his off-time, perhaps his back yard, and still give to the charity. I wonder why they didn't go that route? Oh, it's not advertising for them. This was definitely a for-profit decision for Captain Morgan and I think the NFL is right to nip that sort of thing in the bud.

The NFL doesn't advertise their sponsors on-field either. The only times they and the players should do that is for non-profit charities like the recent pink gear for cancer.

I wonder if the cowboy players are in on this Captain Morgan's strike a pose conspiracy as well...I mean, did the defense let him score on purpose at that particular part of the game (large viewing audience) so Celek could score, strike a pose and make everyone a lot of money because all the drinkers now have a craving for rum?

Archived