Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Aussie Rules team signs former US basketballer

SkinnedAussie

This probably holds no interest to anyone here, but this is huge news down here.

Leading Australian Rules club, Collingwood (my team), has signed 24 year old Seamus (Shae) McNamara, who hails from Milwaukee in the US state of Wisconsin.

Magpies give YouTube recruit place on rookie list

AFTER playing three different sports at an elite level, Seamus McNamara sat at home in Milwaukee in the US state of Wisconsin and figured his sporting future was in a game where he was yet to even touch a real ball.

McNamara took a mate down to the local gridiron field to help him and film himself doing a range of sprints, jumps and agility tests and showing his ability to kick and handball AFL-style using an American football.

He uploaded the footage to YouTube then sent a speculative email with a link to the footage to all AFL recruiters. It has all paid off, with Collingwood signing McNamara to a two-year international rookie contract.

McNamara, his name is Seamus but likes to be called Shae, had played four seasons of division one college basketball in the US for Marist University in New York before playing a season of professional basketball in Germany for TSV Dachau Spurs. He also played elite soccer and was a high jumper.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Collingwood signs American rookie for two years

AFTER the loss of international players Marty Clarke and Kevin Dyas earlier this year, Collingwood has not given up on overseas players just yet, signing American Seamus McNamara to a two-year international rookie contract. Both Clarke and Dyas were from Ireland.)

The 24-year-old, who hails from Milwaukee in the US state of Wisconsin, is a powerful athlete who stands 204 centimetres and weighs 104 kilograms.

091109_mcnamara_2.jpg

McNamara trialled with the Magpies in Melbourne back in September, and returned on the weekend to commence pre-season training with the team, after accepting the club’s contract offer.

204 centimetres is roughly 6'8". It would make him the tallest player on the team, but not the tallest in the league. The tallest stands about 6'10".

Tall. Good thing there's less gravity in the Southern Hemisphere.

Hope he's tough - it may not be the NFL, but Aussie Rules ain't fer sissies.

Edit: here we go, some "Greatest Hits." 5 Minutes of guys getting KTFO'd:

A lot, if not all, of those hits are now outlawed and would see the 'bumper' get suspended for 4 - 6 games.

The powers-that-be have, in their infinite wisdom, tried to clean up the game and get rid of any unsavoury onfield incidents, like what is shown in that clip.

People like myself are becoming more disillusioned with the direction the game is heading towards, and comparing it to what it used to be, todays game more closely resembles a netball game.

BTW, I have 2 DVD's of footage similar to that clip. Both about 90 minutes, and goes by the name of 'Biffs, Bumps and Brawlers'.

BTW, his weight of 104 kilograms is approx 230 lbs. To convert, multiply kilograms by 2.2

By the time he's ready to play with the 'big' boys, in the position he'd be groomed for, he should be about 110kg's, or 242lbs.

Aussie Rules players rarely go beyond the 100kg (200 lb) mark, with most between 88 (194 lb) and 95 (210 lb). The current punter for the Eagles, Sav Rocca, wasn't much bigger, weight wise, than he is now when he played AFL, as is Ben Graham (Cards), but they were amongst the bigger of the AFL players, but as they played in a key position, that is to be expected.

The average AFL player would measure up with a DB, or maybe a lighter RB. Think DeAngelo Hall as a height / weight comparison.

I was 'zoned' to the Bulldogs when I was younger. What that means is that AFL teams were given exclusive zones from where they could recruit players. This was before drafting was introduced.

Although the AFL is the highest level, there is also a second level competition, the VFL (Victorian Football League). With that, my team, Williamstown (Seagulls) is the feeder club for the Western Bulldogs. As only 22 players can be named for the 'senior' team each week, those who miss out then drop down to their feeder club. Also, each state has their own state league, but every one who plays Aussie Rules strives to be good enough to be drafted by an AFL team.

The only time a player wears a helmet of any sort is when he is coming back from a concussion. Then, it's an old style bicycle helmet, nothing like they wear in the NFL.

A scrum cap.

I have tried to watch Aussie rules, it's pretty boring, some how people confuse the game with Rugby, and I am not sure how.

Phantasm, how the hell did you become a Doggies fan?

Well, it was New Year's Eve a few years ago, I was at a dance with a group of friends as is our ritual and my friend got sick (a combination of vodka and food poisoning as I remember). We took her to my cousin's house two blocks from the dance and I volunteered to babysit her. Well, I was getting bored so I started flipping through the channels and there was a repeat on of a match between the Dogs and North Melbourne. Whenever I watch any kind of sporting event on TV I have to pick a team to root for, and they just caught my eye (and for some reason I couldn't stand the Roos' Brent Harvey), and I've been following them ever since. Kind of sucks being an AFL fan in the States, I can only get one match total per week on MHz Network.

Whenever I watch any kind of sporting event on TV I have to pick a team to root for, and they just caught my eye (and for some reason I couldn't stand the Roos' Brent Harvey), and I've been following them ever since. Kind of sucks being an AFL fan in the States, I can only get one match total per week on MHz Network.

LOL - that's great. I can't stand "Boomer" Harvey either.

Usually I'm mad that I get to see the Skins only a couple of times a year. This year, not so worried. :doh:

great to see you around atb! :cheers:

Thanks zoony! By the way, nice to see you're a mod. If you remember, I picked you as a dark horse candidate years ago.. :cheers:

Archived