Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Interesting Stats Thread

JaimeDeCurry

So he is quick to run and quick to check down to the TE.

Not necessarily. Thomas is a terrible route runner and eliminates himself from passes thrown his way and from consideration to have further passes thrown to him. The fade route he ran in the first quarter this week was typical. He starts inside the numbers for a go route fade. He gets chucked by the defender inside 5 yards, pretty typical, no cause for worries. What happens next is terrible though. Defender sets up inside, which you want to happen on that routed. Instead of keeping him inside and running inside the numbers, Thomas allows the defender to steer him outside the numbers and right against the sideline. Now, when Campbell throws that ball to exactly where it should go, it looks more like a pass to the defender than to the receiver because Thomas left him no room. If Thomas stays inside the numbers, he has room to fade at the last minute to the sidelines to make the catch, and it eliminates the defender from being able to have any impact other than tackling him after the catch. However, he doesn't, and the play is an incompletion. How many more passes would you throw to a guy who keeps running routes that make you look bad?

Not necessarily. Thomas is a terrible route runner and eliminates himself from passes thrown his way and from consideration to have further passes thrown to him. The fade route he ran in the first quarter this week was typical. He starts inside the numbers for a go route fade. He gets chucked by the defender inside 5 yards, pretty typical, no cause for worries. What happens next is terrible though. Defender sets up inside, which you want to happen on that routed. Instead of keeping him inside and running inside the numbers, Thomas allows the defender to steer him outside the numbers and right against the sideline. Now, when Campbell throws that ball to exactly where it should go, it looks more like a pass to the defender than to the receiver because Thomas left him no room. If Thomas stays inside the numbers, he has room to fade at the last minute to the sidelines to make the catch, and it eliminates the defender from being able to have any impact other than tackling him after the catch. However, he doesn't, and the play is an incompletion. How many more passes would you throw to a guy who keeps running routes that make you look bad?

With any luck he learns that lesson in the film room. It's an example of getting better with experience, which NFL receivers seem to need. Many have talked about the myriad wide receivers whose career started slowly and then got better after a few years. Kelly and Thomas hardly saw the field last season, so they're getting their hard knocks this season. They should be on the field every play from here on out this season to get their trial by fire and to learn the lessons like the one you just described.

If they are unable to learn those lessons, well then it's better to know now than a year or so down the line. That's one positive we can take from this crapfest of a season.

2008 Rankings:

Offense/ Defense

Total Score 16.56 18.5

Rank 28, 6

YdsPerPlay 4.99 4.95

Rank 23, 7

1st Downs 18.44 16.13

Rank 17, 5

YdsPerRush 4.36 3.78

Rank 9, 8

YdsPerPass 9.54 10.74

Rank 30, 15

RushYds 130.44 94.44

Rank 8, 7

PassYds 189.56 194.75

Rank 23, 7

Total Yds 320 289.19

Rank 19, 4

Time of Poss Offense 31:14

Offensive Rank: 10

Defensive Turnovers: 1.23

Defensive Turnover Rank: 28

Look at the total score and how our Defense total score was higher than our offensive total score. There were 14 other teams whose total scoring was higher on the defensive side of the ball, and all of their defenses were ranked lower than ours, and all of their offenses ranked better than us except: Cincinnati, Cleveland, Oakland, and St. Louis.

Courtesy of Blitz Magazine

+Jason Campbell is the team's 2nd leading rusher. We are the only team with a quarterback as the player with the 2nd-most rushing yardage.

wrong.

aaron rodgers is currently 2nd on his team in rushing as well, and has 214 on 32 carries, as opposed to campbell who has 143 yards on 29 carries.

so is david garrard on the jaguars with 191 yards on 38 carries.

wrong.

aaron rodgers is currently 2nd on his team in rushing as well, and has 214 on 32 carries, as opposed to campbell who has 143 yards on 29 carries.

Good catch, and thanks as well to the people who caught my typo on the Fred "Thomas" one. I gave a cursory glance to the rushing rankings for the season, and must have not caught that Rodgers and Garrard were above their #2 running backs.

I've tried not to add any analysis to these random stats...I'll leave that up to you guys. I think it's more interesting just to get the "Wow, really?" factor instead of the "Christ we suck" factor. Anything to inject interest back into the season.

Good catch, and thanks as well to the people who caught my typo on the Fred "Thomas" one. I gave a cursory glance to the rushing rankings for the season, and must have not caught that Rodgers and Garrard were above their #2 running backs.

I've tried not to add any analysis to these random stats...I'll leave that up to you guys. I think it's more interesting just to get the "Wow, really?" factor instead of the "Christ we suck" factor. Anything to inject interest back into the season.

well usually youd just interpret the QB running with a bad oline and a guy scrambling for his life a lot, thats how id see campbell and rodgers.

i dont watch jaguars games (although im not sure anybody does, they clearly dont in jacksonville lol) but they can run the ball so i dont know why garard takes off a decent amount. maybe hes a good scrambler or maybe they have some designed runs for him, who knows.

The Redskins are #10 on the scale of 1-10 of depressing stats.;)

Not necessarily all depressing. A lot of them are pretty neutral, and there's a few good ones in there. I think it's great that Haynesworth is making such an impact, as evidenced by the fact that Andre Carter and Brian Orakpo have 12 sacks in 8 games, and Orakpo is leading all 4-3 linebackers in sacks.

Redskins receivers have 3 TDs, Darren Sharper has 3 INTs returned for TDs, Saints DBs have 5 INTs for TDs.

Redskins Offense has 11 TDs (not including Hunter's TD), Saints Defense has 7 TDs.

what is GW doin down there that he wasn't doin here? we always had good defense's, but couldn't create turnovers, let alone points.

what is GW doin down there that he wasn't doin here? we always had good defense's, but couldn't create turnovers, let alone points.

He can take more chances with blitzing cuz if he fails, he has an offense that will/can make up for any mistakes.

The bend but dont break defense was a concern to our offense who obviously can light up the scoreboard, EVER.

wrong.

46% of all statistics are made up.

:paranoid:

Archived