Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hard to imagine we were 6-2 at this point last year...

MattFancy

Remember after 8 games last year and we were 6-2? Man that was awesome. We had beaten the Cowboys and Eagles on the road, the Saints and Cards at home, and we were actually scoring points! CP and JC were MVP candidates and Zorn was a coach of the year candidate. Everything was going so well.

Well fast forward a year and since that quick 6-2 start, we're 4-12. In that span we've broken the 20 point barrier twice. In the first 8 games of last year we scored over 20 points 5 times.

What has happened since then? The main culprate seems to be the OL. With injuries to key guys like Samuels and Thomas the last 2 seasons, our line play hasn't been the same. But other teams don't have outstanding lines and yet manage to win games and score points.

Another finger gets pointed the way of Jason Campbell. He hasn't been spectaular, but teams have won with less than great QBs before. Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, and Mark Rypien come to mind. So maybe its not all Campbell's fault.

Another logical explanation would be Zorn. Have teams figured him out? It seems that way. As mentioned before, since that 6-2 start, we're 4-12. Now you can't blame the injuries on Zorn. But, you can blame the play-calling on Zorn as well as the players being prepared to play.

So how do we fix all this? How can a team that is practically the same this year as it was in 2008, be that much worse than it was during their first 8 games? I'm not sure. While I'm not a big Snyder and Vinny supporter, I don't think it's all on them either. When we were winning, no one was bashing them. I think we need to get rid of Vinny and Zorn. We need a real coach and GM to right the ship. We obviously have some talent on this team. We just need someone to help put it all together.

It really does. I just can't wrap my head around how they were scoring 20+ points per game those 8 and then since then, nothing. It makes no sense.

I think that is the hardest part to figure out. How were we playing so well during those 8 games and look at us now. Through 9 weeks of the 2009 season, we're still the only team to not score 20 points in a game. How is that possible?

The thing that amazes me was just how good this team looked after beating the Eagles to get to 4-1.

I was ready to eat major crow on the Oline, they had finally done what they had so often failed to do in the past, they imposed their will on a defense and just chewed up the clock in the 4th quarter of both the Dallas game and Philly game to seal the win. Their inability to do this in the past is what always kept me from singing their praises like others liked to do but they had finally done it. On the road. Against good division rivals. Awsome.

The team was looking so good, the only achilles heel was they were sputtering in the redzone.

They were not as impressive in the wins against Detroit and Cleveland but escaped with two wins.

Then the roof caved in and we're still digging our way out a year later.

zorns career as a whole to me is in two pieces:

4-1 start to 2008 - we lose an ugly game to the giants, and the next four games we click on all cylinders. the whole offense clicked as a unit, our run game was on fire, our passing game was enough to win us games, the defense got turnovers and stops, and we won on the road. all was good.

6-13 to present - the rams game was when it all went downhill for me. at first it looked like a hiccup, but thats EXACTLY who we are, and its been dreadful ever since. loss to the rams, squeakers against the browns and lions, and currently were in the cellar.

the way i see it, zorn had a sweet month of football to start 2008, and its been pretty ugly since then. i forget what it was like to win a game in convincing fashion.

6-13 to present - the rams game was when it all went downhill for me. at first it looked like a hiccup, but thats EXACTLY who we are, and its been dreadful ever since. loss to the rams, squeakers against the browns and lions, and currently were in the cellar.

What I can't figure out is what exactly this team did during the 8 month offseason. They appear to be the EXACT same team that ended the '08 season.

What I can't figure out is what exactly this team did during the 8 month offseason. They appear to be the EXACT same team that ended the '08 season.

what could they change???

same coach

same QB

same scheme

same everything

the only difference im seeing is a better pass rush, and thats it. haynesworth and orakpo have helped our pass rush, and aside from that, this is just the 2008 team.

so when everyone called me a hater or negative for predicting this team would play badly, i hope some of you now see why. the whole "2nd year in the system" crap is just nonsensical excuses.

Yup. Its like Zorn didn't try to work on fixing things in the offseason. At the end of '08 our OL was shaky, we couldn't score points, and we couldn't force turnovers. In '09, we still can't score points, OL still crappy, and we still can't force a bunch of turnovers.

This all falls on Jim Zorn. A year and a half here, and still doesn't have a hurry up offense. By watching his coaching and decisions, it's hard to believe he played in this league, even harder to believe he was a QB.

zorns career as a whole to me is in two pieces:

4-1 start to 2008 - we lose an ugly game to the giants, and the next four games we click on all cylinders. the whole offense clicked as a unit, our run game was on fire, our passing game was enough to win us games, the defense got turnovers and stops, and we won on the road. all was good.

the way i see it, zorn had a sweet month of football to start 2008, and its been pretty ugly since then. i forget what it was like to win a game in convincing fashion.

Exactly. 6-2? Smoke and mirrors. The bottom fell out in the Rams game. 4 good games. That's it.

currently im protrudin' for gruden.

He's my choice too. He's younger than Holmgren, Shannahan, or Cowher. I think Gruden will be able to light a fire under these guys and get them to play better. Its not like we have a bunch of scrubs. There is talent on this team. Just need someone to put it together.

Archived